Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice bunch of shots here recently - hopefully some more toy camera shooters will bravely step forward...
Shot at the Grand Canyon a few yrs ago with my best camera at the time - a Panasonic TZ1 superzoom (xposted)

06-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #137
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Nice shot!!...I've been at that very spot...many, many, years ago...gorgeous scenery!

The problem is....too many Toy Camera shooters live in shame and agony over not being fantastic "Pro Shooters" with a big fat bulky DSLR and a half million dollars worth of big lenses. When out and about with their Toy Cameras, they hide them in their pockets if a big DSLR shooter shows up so they won't look like an amateur and have to cower under the shadows of that big black heavy machine the "Pro" is using.

Meanwhile, those of us that have acknowledged that we are genuine real Toy Camera shooters never hide our cameras or cower. We have tons of shots those "Pro Guys" never got, and we have more fun than a box of squirrels in a peanut silo! We are not ashamed, we are proud shooters that are in it for the fun and the memories. Sure, we have a big ugly DSLR on the side too, with a long lens or two, but that's only for shooting handsome squirrels, not much else.

Case in point: I wanted to shoot my new boots this morning to post here and there. Now if any Army Squirrels were nosing around peeking in my office windows, they would have laughed their little hineys off if they saw me witha big fat DSLR just to shoot a pair of boots...and rightly so! Instead, I used my little X20 set on Pro Plow Light, where I didn't even need a flash to draw attention, and no squirrel even noticed! For clandestine shooting a Toy Camera is the best! I didn't get caught and didn't feel like an idiot, even though I probably am one!

Best Regards!
Rupert
06-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Imagine if you will 3 old guys in their 60's who still think they're kids and who ride off on motorcycles in the pouring rain to climb a mountain......

It could be a Twilight Zone episode with a bad ending but ended up being a really fun time and captured on toy cameras.

Shots of my friends on the ride up to the trailhead.

Heading up the trail.

The top of the mountain was in the clouds. Given the weather, we expected that.

Besides being easy on your back, a small pocket sized camera is always handy. A gust of wind so strong you couldn't stand kicked up and for just an couple of minutes, the clouds opened up for a great view.

All shot with a Lumix LF1 on Cascade Mtn near Lake Placid, NY.
06-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #139
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Imagine if you will 3 old guys in their 60's who still think they're kids and who ride off on motorcycles in the pouring rain to climb a mountain......

All shot with a Lumix LF1 on Cascade Mtn near Lake Placid, NY.
And very nicely done, too! That LF1 is doing you proud

06-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #140
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Those are some nice shots Reef! Looks like a fun get-together too! I recall my old bike days, I had many a great time with my buddies back then! Your Toy Camera served you well...and you served it well too!

Went to visit an older friend in the nursing home yesterday. I always try to get a nice aide to come pose with him, and if I can, talk her into a party with us....haven't had any luck yet, but I'll keep trying!

X20

Regards!
06-14-2014, 05:13 AM   #141
Pentaxian

Well, it looks like she put a smile on his face anyhow. Nice shot.

There are currently several active threads about which lens/camera combination is best for travel, hiking, camping, etc. More often than not, I am leaving the DSLR behind. In weather conditions like we had, it would have been very unwise to attempt to change a lens.
06-14-2014, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #142
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Reef.....As in any endeavor, trade, or profession, having the right tool for the job is imperative. The truth is, for most of our shots we don't need a big bulky machine to capture the memories we are looking to capture. The shots you posted do just fine at that....would a D8oo have done better? Not really, the memory was what you were after and you got it! Same with my shot of old Charlie....I could have set up a tripod, my two big strobes, my wireless set up and some nice backgrounds......brought in a big FF and taken the same shot. Would it have made a difference? None at all!

Regards!

Where I go...it goes!

06-16-2014, 01:28 AM   #143
Veteran Member

Though I have the X-Pro 1 the X10 seems to go with me on our little family adventures, it is also the 1st camera I grab for taking pictures of the kids.

It did by proud at the Royal Cornwall show the other week.

Doesn’t do bad for Video either, though I do wish it has the external MIC option like the X20!

https://flic.kr/p/nzXC59

I look forward to seeing what the X30 can do, looking at getting one and the X10 IR converted!

Cheers, Steve
06-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
Though I have the X-Pro 1 the X10 seems to go with me on our little family adventures, it is also the 1st camera I grab for taking pictures of the kids.

Great shots - the last one is priceless Those X-series cameras look really nice, but I almost hesitate calling them "toys" .

Here's one from my little Canon P&S, xposted from the b/w thread awhile back:
06-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #145
Veteran Member

If 'Toy' means 'cheap(ish)', then I've had my share over the years.

EDIT: This makes me want to go eBay prowling for another A470 to replace my dead one. That camera was amazing for what it was.

Kodak EasyShare CX7310

Mercer Bog; Mercer, Maine - November 6, 2004

by Jody Roberts, on Flickr

Winter Twilight; Wilton, Maine

Lake Webb in Autumn

Canon PowerShot A470

Fort Halifax Tree; Winslow, Maine

Cemetery Syrup; Freedom, Maine

October Dawn; Belfast, Maine

Samsung WB150F

Great Falls Balloon Festival 2012

Cherry Blossoms; Waterville, Maine

Great Falls Balloon Festival 2012
06-17-2014, 04:21 AM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots!

Pentax Optio S40 (very fine camera, even though it lacked much control). Alas, stolen.

Money shot
by clarke_ag, on Flickr

Waihi beach
by clarke_ag, on Flickr

Waipoua
by clarke_ag, on Flickr

And the Canon A520, which is still in a draw downstairs....

Lovely pristine reef
by clarke_ag, on Flickr

French Grunt fish, Matt looking on
by clarke_ag, on Flickr
06-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #147
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Nice bunch of shots here recently - hopefully some more toy camera shooters will bravely step forward...
Well, Sagitta stepped forward with some very nice shots. I like the way those rendered, sort of an "antique" look, very appealing.

Clarkey, nice work too...sorry for your loss.

Skank....Excellent examples of the EXR sensor on the X10. That last ice cream shot is wonderful!
I still say the X10 renders better shots than the X20. It's not in my head, but it is in the shots you posted!

Maybe more will step forward with their Toy Cameras, the shots here are really getting good. It's just so hard for many to admit that in their hearts and souls...they are Toy Camera shooters!

A couple from last night at the Cotton Patch Cafe....
X20

Something good is coming! ( love my X20 leather case, very nice case!)

Yep! My favorite, chicken fried steak!

Beef tips for Mrs Rupert....delicious! Half of hers were leftover so the raccoons had a treat last night too!

Regards......You guys hiding behind those big bulky DSLRs come on out with your Toy Cameras, you are welcome here!
06-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #148

I kind of shoot on everything. I use my Canon Rebel T2i for video and family portraits, my Canon AE-1 for more artistic 35mm client work, my iPhone for off-the-cuff stuff, my plethora of vintage consumer cameras for walking adventures and roadtrips, my lo-fi digital cameras for weird experimental crap, and my medium format Holga and box cameras for a bit of everything. I'm also starting to get into pinhole photography, so there you go : )
06-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mmm...haven't been to Cotton Patch in ages - need to go back asap!

My niece on the beach in Calif a few yrs ago - Panasonic TZ1:
06-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #150
Pentaxian

Trip to New Jersey

Nice shots everyone.

Went to New Jersey last weekend and took a bunch of Hipstamatic shots with my iPhone:

It rained the night we got there. The next morning I took pics of the raindrops in the garden:

The house dog:

My lovely niece and her new tattoo:

Enjoying the pool:

Went to a couple of Jewish delis:

I also took a whole bunch of Fuji instax shots and gave them all away to a very happy birthday girl. Didn't even touch my K-01for the whole trip.

Also I went to the Lomography store in NYC and got a Holga, so you ave been warned to expect some Holgatography at some point.