Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2108 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2017, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #1591
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You guys are doing a fine job of keeping this thread alive and healthy! I have a few X20 shots to add later.

Paul, you have truly mastered the X10 and continually show what a powerful little camera it can be in the right hands. I still say the X10 with EXR beats my X20 by a wide margin.

Regards!
Thanks Rupert, and please do add a shot or two to the mix! I wouldn't say I've "mastered" the X10, it's just so easy to take along, I can't help but snag a decent photo once in awhile!
My latest masterpiece:

01-10-2017, 09:04 AM   #1592
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
My latest masterpiece:
Curb service!
01-11-2017, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #1593
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Curb service!
So convenient!

'54 Buick Skylark (Fuji X10)
01-12-2017, 07:28 AM - 4 Likes   #1594
Veteran Member

Original Poster
'54 Buick Skylark (Fuji X10)
Been really enjoying all your car shots Paul!

Finally got a little time to put together a post over here! Not much, but it says a lot about Toy Cameras. We took a trip out West on New Years Eve and I took my K1 and a bag of some very fine FF lenses....and my X20. The K1 and those lenses never got out of the bag. Handy and easy beats big and bulky when you are out to have fun. Fast and simple to use, draws no attention and "get's 'er done".......that's what Toy Cameras do best!

The weather looked great on the weather map, so we headed down the road 450 miles to Balmorhea State Park. We've been all around there. Big Bend and Ft Davis but never to the park.

It's a long drive for a Sat afternoon. The little Audi TT gets you there fast with the Interstate speeds at 80mph!

We checked in to a little Motel in Balmorhea (The Eleven Inn......11 rooms!) and it was a delightful little place...I had made reservations and it was only $65.!! Old, built in 1936, but very comfortable and spotless clean. The owners, an older couple were wonderful people...I can highly recommend it!

No luxury here...small and nothing fancy, but so clean!

On our way to the State Park we passed this old Mission out in the desert far away from anything. No need to unzip the big camera bag, mount a lens, but on your back brace for that heavy weight......just grab the Toy Camera X20!

Off to the State Park..a little history first......

During the Great Depression, the CCC built Balmorhea State Park...among many others all across the nation. The best State Parks in Texas are still in service and were built by the CCC.
My uncle Otis (Yes, that's where Otis Squirrel got his name!) was just out of High School and traveled 400 miles to Balmorhea to help build the park. It was the only job available at the time. All work was done by hand, no big power equipment was used.

Under construction...

The workers that built it...

My uncle Otis...

So what's it like? It is a small park, but well maintained and lovely, sitting out in the middle of a bone dry desert all alone.

A large pavilion with ample room for gatherings...

A little short order cafe inside...

Several picnic pavilions...

Oh yeah.....lots of these signs.....it is in the desert and snakes need water too!

Did I say water? Yep, that's what it's all about here!

A beautiful huge round swimming pool with spring fed water at a constant temperature of 72F!

Yes, people were swimming on New Years day!

It was a fun trip....915 miles in two days but well worth it! If I had young kids it would be an "often destination" for certain!

Toy Cameras can do what you need for good memories, keep them handy at all times!

Best Regards!

BTW- Forgot to mention they have cabins to rent in the park.....very nice, but you have to rent them very far in advance, they are never empty. Best to stay in the Eleven Inn...and book in advance....they stay full most of the time too!

01-24-2017, 06:55 AM - 2 Likes   #1595
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The X10 is so handy....Mrs Rupert uses it for documenting her Deaf Sunday school class events.

Mrs Rupert (2nd from the left) with her teaching staff.

....saves me from taking shots with a big ol' heavy K1 and bulky lens, all the back pain from carrying around the heavy gear...and in the end not doing any better than a damn Toy Camera!

Regards!
02-02-2017, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #1596
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great looking shots Rupert - and another place to add to the bucket list!

From last November with the X10 -
02-02-2017, 08:17 PM   #1597
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great looking shots Rupert - and another place to add to the bucket list!

From last November with the X10 -
Thanks Paul! You would love Balmorhea!
Nice shot.... but after over 100 wheelbarrows of leaves out of my yard, they no longer look attractive to me!

We burned them all. Not much compared to what Otis burns every day.

Regards!

02-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #1598
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Snow dusted creek from early January. I dusted off the old Canon Powershot for this one:
02-04-2017, 12:58 PM   #1599
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Snow dusted creek from early January. I dusted off the old Canon Powershot for this one:
Nice dead of the winter shot Paul. With a hard freeze there will be fewer Cottonmouths in Cottonmouth Creek this Spring!

Regards!

Some delicious breakfast food...cottage cheese and corn chips!

X20
02-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #1600
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ah, to be on the road - it's been a busy January. Cross-post with one of my mini-wonder cameras at a local park:

Escarpement trees
by Aaron, on Flickr

Over the edge
by Aaron, on Flickr
02-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #1601
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some delicious breakfast food...cottage cheese and corn chips!
WTH?

@clarkey - very nice!

Another with the little Canon Powershot:
02-05-2017, 11:26 AM   #1602
Veteran Member

Original Poster
WTH?
You gotta try it....it is a delicious combination I just accidentally came up with one morning about a year ago. Cottage cheese is a good breakfast food...full of protein and slow to digest so you stay satisfied a long time.....and corn chips are so tasty!

Regards!
02-08-2017, 08:07 AM   #1603
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From late December with the Canon Powershot:
02-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #1604
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
WTH?

@clarkey - very nice!

Another with the little Canon Powershot:
Thank you, sir!
02-09-2017, 07:02 AM   #1605
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Time for some Straight Talk! Toy Cameras are wonderful!

Was up in the city yesterday with my helper and we ate at the famous China Dragon buffet...wonderful food....and only $8. for all you can eat!

Now I have a K1 and some nice lenses, and I wanted to get a few shots of the place and food to share. I asked my helper to open the tailgate of my truck and unload the K1 and my lens bag, get out the two wheel dolly to wheel them in, and we would get a few "Professional" shots.
Being old and tired from sawing up fallen trees at my Mom's place down the road, he asked if maybe I could just use a Toy Camera instead? So I grabbed the X20 and in we went......so handy. No one even noticed I had a camera, unlike the K1 which looks like you brought in field artillery.

Could the K1 have done better? Short answer...No!

The first of 3 plates old Tony ate....

Nice place too!

Old Tony....left fuller than a stuffed turkey!

I was more conservative, but still had 3 plates full...and dessert!

Save your back, save your time, don't annoy people with a big heavy black box.....shoot with a Toy Camera!

Regards!