Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2108 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2020, 11:11 AM - 2 Likes   #2341
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Playing around with CHDK on another Canon A1200 after bricking the last one.
Love the photo Dave, but concerned about this bricking report. I've not tried CHDK, but by most accounts this is a "safe" mod for the old Powershots. Did you use the correct software for your camera? I have an old, great working SD450 I was thinking of trying it on.

Speaking of Powershots, here's one with the 8 mp SD1100 IS, my "dogwalk" cam since it slips right in my pocket.

02-25-2020, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #2342
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Love the photo Dave, but concerned about this bricking report. I've not tried CHDK, but by most accounts this is a "safe" mod for the old Powershots. Did you use the correct software for your camera? I have an old, great working SD450 I was thinking of trying it on.

Thanks Paul. I should have made it clear that it was me who bricked the A1200 by dismantling it to try to clean a nasty spot off the sensor. CHDK is completely safe to use, since all you're doing is running it from a bootable SD card and no permanent changes are made to the camera. I've edited the original post to make it clearer.
02-25-2020, 04:20 PM   #2343
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lake Grapevine TX, Dec. 2018 - Lumix LX3
Wonderful image. The colors are excellent.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
02-26-2020, 06:41 AM   #2344
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Autumn weeds at McPherson Slough, Lake Grapevine TX. Fuji X10
Very nice photo, Paul. I like that you've given so much priority to all the foreground vegetation. Lovely

Mind you, I'm not sure how your fellow Fujifilm users would feel about you classifying the X10 as a "toy camera"

Playing around with CHDK on another Canon A1200 after I bricked the last one by dismantling it to clean the sensor. Meanwhile the utterly rotten weather persists.
Ah, you got a replacement? That's excellent news, David

Nice moody image that conveys the recent weather and light That said, it's beautiful out here today... sunny, with clouds, 6.7C, and nice light. Frustratingly, I have some chores to do, otherwise I'd be out with my A1200 this afternoon...

02-26-2020, 11:13 AM   #2345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Wonderful image. The colors are excellent.
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Very nice photo, Paul. I like that you've given so much priority to all the foreground vegetation. LovelyMind you, I'm not sure how your fellow Fujifilm users would feel about you classifying the X10 as a "toy camera"

Thank you both! Mike, if you go back to the start of this thread, you'll see where Rupert refers to the Fuji X cameras right away. But, yes - "toy" is a bit of a stretch, but so are many of the other compacts used here in the discussion (including phone cams!) I do have one true old "toy" camera, an old one megapixel HP camera from 1999. I think it needs to see some quality time soon!
02-26-2020, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #2346
Pentaxian

Ah, you got a replacement? That's excellent news, David

Thanks Mike. My feeling at the moment is that if I could find something like an A1200 but with an APS-C sensor and a better viewfinder I could happily use it as my main camera. I'm deeply bored with the whole DSLR routine right now, and I'm looking back on the days when the A1200 was my only digital camera with quite a lot of nostalgia.
02-26-2020, 03:17 PM - 3 Likes   #2347
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Mike. My feeling at the moment is that if I could find something like an A1200 but with an APS-C sensor and a better viewfinder I could happily use it as my main camera. I'm deeply bored with the whole DSLR routine right now, and I'm looking back on the days when the A1200 was my only digital camera with quite a lot of nostalgia.
I'm not quite at that stage yet, David... but I'm certainly shooting my small cameras a lot more often. Today, we had a pleasing break in the weather... it was cold, but dry and bright. Although I had chores to do, I found an hour spare to wander into town and take some photos of (for reasons I can't explain) the church where I was christened. I took not a DSLR, but my little old Pentax Q, fitted with the much-maligned "04 Toy Lens Wide".

Since it's a small sensor camera, and the lens is a "toy", I figure it's OK to post one of the photos here

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
02-27-2020, 08:51 AM - 3 Likes   #2348
Pentaxian

A beautiful Beetle spotted this afternoon, with the Canon A1200 and CHDK.

03-02-2020, 04:55 AM - 2 Likes   #2349
Pentaxian

With the A1200 and CHDK again, with the A1200 now custom profiled to correct the colours in the raw files. A McLaren 570S in Tavistock.

03-02-2020, 05:48 AM   #2350
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

A beautiful Beetle spotted this afternoon, with the Canon A1200 and CHDK.
Lovely photo of an equally lovely old bug

Back around 1987 I owned a 1964 Beetle. Fantastic thing, it was... It was right-hand-drive but had the American spec bumpers (apparently original at the time of purchase). The only thing I didn't like was the 6 volt electrics... The headlights worked, but you could hardly call them effective

With the A1200 and CHDK again, with the A1200 now custom profiled to correct the colours in the raw files. A McLaren 570S in Tavistock.
The colours are looking spot on, David - subjectively, at least.

Not too impressed with your parking, though
03-03-2020, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #2351
Pentaxian

Not too impressed with your parking, though

Well, in my defence the McLaren has only got a tiny little letterbox of a rear window, and I was a bit distracted by the glamour model in the passenger seat.

(Actually, my crappy old Ford Fiesta was very competently parked just down the street.)
03-04-2020, 12:59 AM - 2 Likes   #2352
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

January's end - Samsung S6

03-05-2020, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #2353
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty tree in a not-so-pretty setting - Samsung S6

03-06-2020, 02:48 AM - 3 Likes   #2354
Pentaxian

Pretty tree in a not-so-pretty setting - Samsung S6
At first I thought the big brown curly thing next to the port-a-potty was. . . well I won't say.

Here's another one with the Canon A1200 and CHDK. I'm going to have to stop playing around with this little camera, because it renders colours so beautifully that it's giving me sinful thoughts about maybe getting hold of a first generation Canon 5D. I've always liked photos that I've seen from that old full-framer.

03-06-2020, 04:55 AM - 3 Likes   #2355
Pentaxian

Another with the A1200 from a lovely walk before breakfast this morning.