Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #226
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I went away for a few days, great photos here--as expected. Here's a snap with the X10, Mt Desert from Schoodic Point at dawn.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
07-23-2014, 06:13 AM - 2 Likes   #227
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
What to do? When your DSLR won't focus in total darkness and hunts and hunts but still fails to lock focus, you are not going to get a shot, I know...I've tried it many times with no success.Blurry globs is the best you can hope for....

So...you go get your X20 Toy Camera and start shooting! The composition is not perfect, after all, you can't see a damn thing in total darkness...unlike the raccoons that can see just fine at night, better than they can in the daylight, but if you point in the direction you know thy are at, you will get a shot! The X20 will focus in total darkness.

Three babies robbing the squirrel feeder.

Mom keeps an eye on them from an adjacent fence to make sure they are safe and don't get into too much trouble.

It's exhausting work to keep up with three little rascals!

Heck, after a while you just give up and take a nap!

Now these are not going to win any awards of get into Nat Geo, but t least you get a record of what raccoons do in the dead of night!

Regards!

Just shot this one a few minutes ago in the daylight. The X20 is not a wildlife shooter, but if cropped, it will do in a pinch. This one was from about 30 feet distance.

Cute little fellows....like little bears!

Last edited by Rupert; 07-23-2014 at 10:05 AM.
07-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #228
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice ones Rupert, and I agree that the baby X's do so much well. I have a a couple of big boys, and wished I had one on the trip last week a few times, but honestly I look around for my own enjoyment, and then capture things that really grab me. The DSLR I take when I know I am going to just take photographs, and have an idea of what. I really like the composition in that last shot of yours.
07-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #229
Pentaxian

Nice shots of the coons, Rupert but I don't think they're napping. Have you noticed any beer missing?

07-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #230
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jac...you too Reef!

I love to watch the raccoons play at night, it's like a circus full of clowns. If you like raccoons, there are plenty here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35763648@N05/sets/72157626301747051/

The K5 shots are mostly all better, but some of the Toy Camera shots are pretty decent too.

Best Regards!
07-25-2014, 10:20 AM - 2 Likes   #231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice set of critter shots on your Flickr Rupert. I can see why they keep hanging around - you keep them well-fed

This little pony would have probably never let me get this shot if I were pointing a monstrous DSLR at him...
07-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #232
Pentaxian

OK, heres some from a camera that I do tend to regard as a bit of a toy. Its the second superzoom I've ever owned, I've tried to sell it off but nobody wants it! *giggle*. Its a Panasonic FZ100, and I regretted the purchase from the day I first took it out. Pretty much ignored it for the past four years but the last 6 months I've tried to make friends with it.

---------- Post added 07-27-14 at 04:01 AM ----------

Rupert, gorgeous racoon shots, been enthralled with them as I have been trying to play catchup on the thread!

Paul, some lovely shots from you but I particularly like the pony, he's such a cutie.

07-27-2014, 07:12 AM   #233
Veteran Member

Original Poster
kyteflyer...Very nice shooting...looks like the Toy Camera has succumbed to your skills!

Paulh...Love the little pony shot! Yes, you are right, animals prefer a Toy Camera...excepting the squirrels like Otis that want to be shot with a big camera and Bigma lens to match their giant egos!

The raccoons like my X10 too......along with robbing the squirrel feeders.

Regards!
07-27-2014, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #234
Pentaxian

Some really nice stuff, kiteflyer, especially the beach shot.
paulh, the pony looks really good.
Rupert, the raccoon at the squirrel feeder is awesome.
Any of these shots will match up to a DSLR of the same scene. It's a funny thing really. Every photographer in the world will tell you that composition is the most important of a photograph and yet, most will reject the idea that good shots can come from
anything other than a DSLR (and more precise, a FF). I bring this up because I read that Galen Rowell, the late mountain climber whose photos are well known, shot a lot of his stuff with a Kodak Instamatic when situations and conditions were too difficult to use an SLR.
07-29-2014, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #235
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Every photographer in the world will tell you that composition is the most important of a photograph and yet, most will reject the idea that good shots can come from
anything other than a DSLR

So very true Reef.
....In that little raccoon shot, the detail is not emphatic or particularly sharp, but the composition and the scene is what counts more. In fact, if it was razor sharp it might not have the same appeal to my eyes?
Toy Cameras have a place and depending on our skills can be every bit as valuable as a FF DSLR for the bulk of shooting situations. Given their friendly size and ease of use, they are more likely to be in your hands when the right situation comes along.

For example...it's not often that a bear comes along around here, but when one does a Toy Camera is quick and ready to capture him!

If the bear leaves and Goldilocks come along, the Toy Camera can capture her too!

Regards!
07-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #236
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes a toy camera is all you have! This shot was taken in 2006 with our only camera at the time, a 4mp Canon Powershot A430. Today that old p&s is battered and bruised, but is still working. It simply refuses to die! Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs (mono version posted in the b/w thread):
07-29-2014, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #237
Pentaxian

Paul, that's a nice scene.

The lillies are blooming along the side of my garage as viewed through the Lumix.

07-31-2014, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #238
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs
Paul.....When I was about 14 we went to Colo. on vacation with my cousins family. Great trip...but I damn near died right the Garden of the Gods. Me and my cousin Doyle skipped out of the picnic our families were having at the base of those tall peaks and decided we would climb to the top of the tallest peak. At the halfway point the walls were too steep and slick to climb, but there was a narrow crevice about 150' deep if we could jump to the other side we could see a way to get to the top. It was about a 6'wide standing jump and my cousin went first. He barely made it to the narrow ledge on the other side, but he did make it. My turn. I just caught the edge with my shoe and was slipping downward when at the last millisecond my cousin grabbed my arm and pulled me to safety. We went on to stand on the highest peak top....and when we came down an hour or so later we both got our butts kicked! No one had to tell me not to do anything like that again! Before that day I never had a fear of heights....afterward even a little height scares the hell out of me!

Regards!

Nice bloom Reef!

Continuing an earlier conversation.....here is a K5/Bigma shot of one of the baby raccoons I took a couple of days ago. For my viewing, I actually prefer the Toy Camera shot.

K5

Toy Camera Sort of a watercolor effect....I like it!
08-02-2014, 02:38 AM   #239
Veteran Member

---------- Post added 08-02-14 at 02:42 AM ----------

I have to confess

---------- Post added 08-02-14 at 02:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Sometimes a toy camera is all you have! This shot was taken in 2006 with our only camera at the time, a 4mp Canon Powershot A430. Today that old p&s is battered and bruised, but is still working. It simply refuses to die! Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs (mono version posted in the b/w thread):
Canon P&S are long-lasting
08-02-2014, 05:39 AM   #240
Veteran Member

My idea of a toy camera lately is as you know a M43 camera. (None of this not changing lenses at all stuff!) When it comes to M43 cameras I'm an Oly fan. I have an Oly E-PL1/Sigma 19mm/Oly 40-150 kit that I've been using for a little while. It's a cool little camera but it's kind of slow. My teacher out on the west coast, his wife, she has a couple of E-P3's and she's about to upgrade one to an E-P5. Guess who is getting one of her old "toy cameras?" Yup, my teacher decided to send one my way. I have a choice of black or silver. I have to give him a call tomorrow and tell him which one I want. It's a major upgrade from the E-PL1 I'm told, much better AF.