Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2014, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #256
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume you mean this one? Thanks!

This one is also the cross-processed slide film. Not sure why some of these came out with the insane turquoise color while others like this one look fairly normal. I guess that is part of the joy of randomness.

08-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #257
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I assume you mean this one? Thanks!
Yep, that's the one! I love it! What is that thing? Nice colors and a very good shot that includes some nice reference background.

Regards!
08-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #258
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Yep, that's the one! I love it! What is that thing? Nice colors and a very good shot that includes some nice reference background.

Regards!
It is some sort of silo at Hawthorne Valley Farm in New York's Hudson Valley. I dropped off the kids for a farm camp at the beginning of Holgaweek and romped through the valley while they were there. A good time had by all.
08-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #259
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fuji X10 Iris at the shore in Maine... Very early morning, and very minimally controlled snap shot, I was barely awake. Cropped, with minimal PP. Who says Fuji doesn't do blues and greens well!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
08-09-2014, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #260
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jac.....No one does better with the X10 than you do...I've said it before and am saying it again. Excellent shot! Color is gorgeous!

Here is my raccoon story of the day..or week ...month ...whatever? I have this mom & pop raccoon that have been coming around for years. Every Spring or mid Summer they have some babies, usually from 2 to 4. When they are old enough they bring them around for a free nightly meal and I feed them. After a while they drift back into the Woods of Otis and and only the mom & pop remain regular visitors. This year there were 3 babies.....two of them have wandered off for their own territory, but one was a "runt" of the litter and refuses to leave my yard area...even in the daylight he will wander around in the early morning hours and late afternoon looking for a free meal. I've been trying to discourage him by not feeding him lately, but he still shows up and eats the squirrel food or bird food. It's hard to resist feeding him, he is so used to me he follows me around like a little puppy holding his hand (they have hands almost identical to ours) out for me to give him a treat. This morning I couldn't resist, he just kept on hounding me as I went about filling the squirrel/bird feeders. I put a handful of dry dog food on the fence and he promptly gobbled it up! If he continues, and it looks like he will, I'll wait for him to get a little bigger and trap him to take out to the woods a few miles away. I'll miss him, he waits on the back deck for me every morning, just like a puppy!

This morning, I was close enough to use a macro setting but didn't. I call him Sticky...because he just sticks around.
X20

Regards!
08-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #261
Veteran Member

Kittens! (not a kit lens )

Young cats by Aleš87, on
Flickr

---------- Post added 08-10-14 at 01:55 PM ----------

Jac.....No one does better with the X10 than you do...I've said it before and am saying it again. Excellent shot! Color is gorgeous!

Here is my raccoon story of the day..or week ...month ...whatever? I have this mom & pop raccoon that have been coming around for years. Every Spring or mid Summer they have some babies, usually from 2 to 4. When they are old enough they bring them around for a free nightly meal and I feed them. After a while they drift back into the Woods of Otis and and only the mom & pop remain regular visitors. This year there were 3 babies.....two of them have wandered off for their own territory, but one was a "runt" of the litter and refuses to leave my yard area...even in the daylight he will wander around in the early morning hours and late afternoon looking for a free meal. I've been trying to discourage him by not feeding him lately, but he still shows up and eats the squirrel food or bird food. It's hard to resist feeding him, he is so used to me he follows me around like a little puppy holding his hand (they have hands almost identical to ours) out for me to give him a treat. This morning I couldn't resist, he just kept on hounding me as I went about filling the squirrel/bird feeders. I put a handful of dry dog food on the fence and he promptly gobbled it up! If he continues, and it looks like he will, I'll wait for him to get a little bigger and trap him to take out to the woods a few miles away. I'll miss him, he waits on the back deck for me every morning, just like a puppy!

This morning, I was close enough to use a macro setting but didn't. I call him Sticky...because he just sticks around.
X20

Regards!
Toy cameras and animals That combo works good! The form factor is a big help
08-11-2014, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #262
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Toy Cameras also work with larger "kittens".......

I was at a luncheon yesterday for Mrs Rupert's "Deaf Class"...if I haven't mentioned it, Mrs Rupert has a Deaf Sunday School Class she has taught for many years. They get together for a luncheon or other outing several times a year and though I normally don't go, I went yesterday and took my X20.

A few random ordinary snaps like we often take with our Toy Cameras.....

Waiting in the serving line.

Mrs Rupert and one of her students.

Time to eat!

Mrs Rupert and our oldest grandson...the "Apple of her eye"...he can do no wrong!

There were old people and young...WOW! I missed the focus on this one by a mile...but I'll make up for it in the next two shots!

There were a couple of her students I pulled aside for some head shots.....lovely "kittens" they are!

A Toy Camera can do pretty good even when pushed beyond its normal limits....

Advantage to the Toy Camera.....no one is intimidated like they would be if I was carrying a big DSLR with flash and lots of lenses......they will relax and pose with ease for a Toy Camera. Gotta love it!

Regards!

08-11-2014, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice ones Rupert - those X series cameras are pretty nice. I'll definitely consider them when I'm ready to move up from my little Canon.

Our little park near the lake was deserted at sundown recently:
08-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #264
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice view Paul! Is that near Whiterock Lake? Haven't been there in years...used to go all the time when I was a kid. I spent most of my time around Bachman Lake...only lived a few blocks away. It was almost in the country edge of Dallas way back then. We spent countless hours there fishing and swimming. I caught a lot of neat snakes there too..it was fun times! At the Lemon Ave bridge you could reach up and almost touch the planes coming in at Love Field....the end of the runway was only a few feet above the bridge.
I have a story about that bridge...maybe I will tell it later, when my Big Mouth needs more exercise!

Regards!
08-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice view Paul! Is that near Whiterock Lake? Haven't been there in years...used to go all the time when I was a kid. I spent most of my time around Bachman Lake...only lived a few blocks away. It was almost in the country edge of Dallas way back then. We spent countless hours there fishing and swimming. I caught a lot of neat snakes there too..it was fun times! At the Lemon Ave bridge you could reach up and almost touch the planes coming in at Love Field....the end of the runway was only a few feet above the bridge.
I have a story about that bridge...maybe I will tell it later, when my Big Mouth needs more exercise!

Regards!
Rupert, this is near Lake Grapevine. If you panned about 90 deg to the right you would see this view (from my previous post): https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/257...ml#post2896480

Immediately behind me is the baseball complex they built a few yrs ago. The Oak Grove Park area has really changed from what it was about 10 yrs ago. New softball/baseball/soccer fields, dogpark, hike/bike trails, picnic areas, etc have been added to what was once just wooded area. We really enjoy it, esp since it is walking distance from our house.

We occasionally drive past Bachman Lake if we're in the Dallas area, but have never hung out around there. I have a friend who is a long-time Dallasite who can tell me tales from his wild youth & the Bachman Lake area, but I'd be happy to hear yours sometime too .
08-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #266
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I keep forgetting you are near Grapevine! We moved to Arlington when I was in the 5th grade and throughout Jr High and High School we all spent tons of time at Grapevine lake. As I got older I rode my Triumph on every road and trail there was around the lake. Camped, fished, swam...had great times there. My favorite places were the little coves on the North side of the lake...there were many of them...nice and secluded where you could camp and fish, swim or just relax and enjoy the views. There used to be a lot of wild blackberries on the North side near the coves, I picked bushels of them.

There was a little store/cafe just on the North side of the dam as the road turned left that we all hung out at way back in the early 70s. You can't imagine the "happenings" that went on there! Some wild and fun times! Sometimes I would stay around that area for days at a time, just riding and mingling with my friends at that little store. Lots of tales from those times......long ago. Grapevine was a teeny tiny town with only a few stores of significance and not much happening after 5pm.
I guess the most excitement I ever had of a negative nature was when I was cruising the lake one evening late and in the parking lot on the South side of the dam...left hand side....there was a pickup truck with a woman screaming for help. I parked my bike and went over, not knowing what I was getting into. It was an older couple and he had shot himself in the abdomen with a hunting rifle....she said it was an accident. She couldn't drive, and begrudgingly, I left my bike and drove them to the hospital in Grapevine. He was a big man and it took four of us to get him out of the camper and onto a stretcher. I think he lived, he was conscious and moaning a lot, but seemed to be stable. A cop took me back to my bike and had already called and had a lake patrol to park near it and keep an eye on it for me...I appreciated that! I was blood soaked and went over to the North side and swam it all off in a little cove area....a couple of cute girls went with me...but that's another story!

Most memories of Grapevine are wonderful! Fun times!

Regards!
08-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #267
Veteran Member

I have to confess. I have abused canon G12 with CHDK using TV mode override(1 minute) (neat - except is shoots wide open - I used integrated ND filer)

08-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #268
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
I have to confess. I have abused canon G12 with CHDK using TV mode override(1 minute) (neat - except is shoots wide open - I used integrated ND filer)

And very nicely done, I might say. I like the colour one best
08-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #269
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
That's very creative - I like it!
08-13-2014, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #270
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like it too!

In relationship to the ad on the front page for Topaz Adjust I am posting a few here as I mentioned in my comment left at the Topaz ad site on today's front page of PF.

Original X20 shot

The three following are one click adjustments done in Topaz Adjust. took a few seconds to make the click.

There are tens of thousands of adjustments possible in Adjust, and dozens of presets to start with.....as these are. You can get almost any desired effect using their adjustment tools...and even export the finished shot back to Photoshop for further editing if so desired.
This is both a very useful program and a very fun program...one of the best I have seen or used. At the current On- Sale price of $24.95 it is a real steal! One rainy day of playing on Adjust is worth more than double the price, I guarantee! You can very often turn a bad Toy Camera shot into a jewel using Adjust....if nothing else, give it a FREE Trial!

Regards!