Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2014, 06:15 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Reef, those are nice shots, and a good example of the use of a small camera you can carry everywhere. That gull won't wait for the "Big Boys" to open their gear bag, change lenses, adjust settings, and get a shot. By that time you already have the shot and have moved on to the next subject.

Regards!

Will Toy Cameras shoot action? Of course! My X20 will focus faster and more accurate than my K5, which is why I use it to shoot the Roller Girls.

It'll shoot wide too...like Bubbles!

Regards!

04-10-2014, 06:52 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I did look at the X20. Those are some fine shots, Rupert. I wanted a pocketable camera with a viewfinder and there weren't too many choices. The Panasonic won out on price mostly and it is a little smaller. It has a 1/1.7 sized sensor and a zoom that is 200mm equiv for shots like that seagull. The small size means small battery which is the biggest drawback. It also doesn't work well in the cold. I took it skiing with me last winter and found it almost unusable while my iPhone worked fine in the near 0 temps. It's going to reside in my jacket pocket for my motorcycle wandering this year.
04-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My toy Fuji XF1 goes with me everywhere.

04-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
My toy Fuji XF1 goes with me everywhere.
I hoped you'd come along Rob. The XF1 is the ultimate little shirt pocket Toy Camera. I've been considering one for those times when my X20 is "just not toy enough". Great little cameras with that solid Fuji X camera build quality.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrB8pA6s0ZTQgcAoBuJzbkF;_y...fr=yfp-t-901-s

Feel free to post more shots here, we need to keep Toy Cameras alive and well at PForums so we can recruit more to dump their big heavy expensive monster machines and enjoy fun shooting once again!

You are driving down the Interstate at 75mph, you see a nice view of the city, but it is flying by fast.......you look for an off ramp, turn around and try to find a spot to park and get a shot. You get out your gear bag, select the proper lens, set up your tripod, get the right crop, and are about to snap away...when a big 18 wheeler wanders off the edge, flattens your tripod and camera and runs over your foot too.

Or you reach over and grab your Toy Camera or pull it out of your shirt pocket and get a quick snap......

Toy Cameras! Gotta Love 'em!

Regards!

04-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I would not really consider any of the cameras y'all are using to be toy cameras. To me a toy camera does not produce pristine images. The camera's imperfections and quirks distort the image in some way. I guess the Hipstamatic is only a software imitation of a toy camera.
04-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mr Bassie.......Maybe we need to define "Toy Camera" better? From what I see and read here at PF, it would appear that anything less than a big heavy FF camera is just a toy, and not capable of producing great results. Now I don't subscribe to that theory, but it does appear than many do?

I'd say that if it fits in your shirt or jacket pocket....it qualifies as a Toy Camera. Toy Cameras are best known for fun shots on short notice...unlike the guys with "Real Cameras" that take those majestic and breathtaking shots we all admire.

Still, a little fun is always at your fingertips when you have a toy in your pocket!

Need a quick portrait shot? Toy Cameras can get 'er done!

Regards!
04-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I guess it depends upon how big your pockets are. :P In my case it's a decent sized messenger bag or a purse, whichever I am carrying, or a jacket pocket when it's chilly. Actually my Oly fits fine even with the long lens. There's a brand new version of the Oly kit lens out there that is almost a true pancake. Put that thing on there and the Oly Pens are slim indeed. I'd love to have that for wandering but it's a bit too expensive. My Sigma is a bit longer than I'd like for jacket pocket but it's really small compared to a kit lens on my DSLR and I have no complaints with that lens so far. I'm pretty happy I got it. It's a great lens. In fact I'm going to take it with me right now. I'm off to see if we got any mail. Let's see what's around to photograph today...
04-11-2014, 06:12 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I guess it depends upon how big your pockets are.
Yes, that varies doesn't it! If it fits in one hand easily, and is light, it still works as a small camera.

No need to pull out a big DSLR and mount a special lens.....just point the Toy Camera and fire away!

Happy Anniversary Mrs Rupert!

Toy camera X20.

Regards!

04-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
What is that? It's certainly neat looking! That's the kind of toy that I could love!
Sorry, I realize my early 1950s Steky 16mm film camera doesn't meet your criteria as a "Toy Camera" since it has interchangeable lenses! My uncle gave me this from his collection many years ago, and I just found it again. It is heavy and solid, and quite well made. I just located a telephoto lens made for it, and also find that film and cassettes are still around. I also found out it doesn't belong in the "non Pentax" forum, because the company that made the Steky went through a few name changes and became....Ricoh!
Name:  Steky_III.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  283.4 KB
04-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Ah I thought that Steky became Ricoh... My Ricoh point and shoots:

As you can see, some of these have an extra wide lens and a panorama mode, which does come in handy

The ancient Fuji F10 doesn't quite make the pigs fly... but it gets them off the ground

Last edited by Nesster; 04-12-2014 at 03:47 AM.
04-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I would not really consider any of the cameras y'all are using to be toy cameras. To me a toy camera does not produce pristine images. The camera's imperfections and quirks distort the image in some way. I guess the Hipstamatic is only a software imitation of a toy camera.
I am with you on that

Rubert

Toy camera

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

The original Diana camera was made in Hong Kong in the 1960s and 1970s. Copies (the Diana+ and Diana F+) are currently produced by Lomography.

Hong Kong's Holga camera takes medium-format photographs on 120 film.

A photograph taken with a Holga.
Within the field of photography, a toy camera refers to a simple, inexpensive film camera.

Despite the name, they are in fact always fully functional and capable of taking photographs, albeit with optical aberrations due to the limitations of the simple lenses. From the 1990s onward there has been interest in the artistic use of such cameras, both those designed for children such as the Diana, others originally intended as mass-market consumer cameras such as the LOMO LC-A, Lubitel, and Holga.

Many professional photographers have used toy cameras and exploited the vignetting, blur, light leaks, and other distortions of their inexpensive lenses for artistic effect to take award-winning pictures.[1] Toy camera photography has been widely exhibited at many popular art shows, such as the annual "Krappy Kamera" show at the Soho Photo Gallery in the Tribeca neighborhood of New York City. Various publications such as Popular Photography magazine have extolled the virtues of the Diana camera in its own right as an "art" producing image maker. Several books have also featured the work of toy cameras, such as The Friends of Photography's "The Diana Show", "Iowa" by Nancy Rexroth, and "Angels at the Arno" by Eric Lindbloom.

I certainly do not think of my WGIII as a toy camera and had this discussion with a friend who called his new Nikon a toy camera, sure it was much smaller than his D800 or D4 but it is still not a toy camera. By the way he is also the person who gave me the camera on my avatar for my 60th birthday. I do not really own a toy camera other than that one but sure do borrow my wife's three a lot
04-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #27
Pentaxian

And don't forget the "toy camera" mode available in some DSLR's and other high end cameras and if your several thousand dollar camera doesn't offer the "look" there are plug ins.

We're all familiar with "that crowd" in photography circles that consider any camera that doesn't contribute to cervical spine stenosis to be a toy.
04-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Dinner tonight as shot by the X20 in "Toy Camera Mode".

Delicious in any mode!

Reef You are so right, some feel that anything less than FF is not really a camera fit for "real shooters". I'm not knocking them, bless their hearts...and aching backs...they just don't know the joy a Toy Camera can bring!

Regards!

You guys/girls post some shots, we have plenty of room for them.....don't be shy!

Last edited by Rupert; 04-12-2014 at 07:21 AM.
04-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Here are a couple taken with a "real" toy camera, a Lomography Sprocket Rocket. I can't decide if this camera sucks or not. I think it kind of does but it definitely produces unique images. I think I will take it to the zoo tomorrow and see what develops. (har har)

04-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mr Bassie - I really like those, in particular the people shots. That is a genuine Toy Camera, and a good one! Just looking at those shots would give a FF shooter a heart attack! They could spend hours criticizing them, and wouldn't even have to pixel peek to do it!

Somehow my photos didn't show up in my last post...so I'll try again...

It was a delicious meal!

I hope we can see more photos here..........I am kind of disappointed that we have not had more confessions from Toy Camera shooters like me. I know they are out there. I wanted to hear some crying and admissions that they are not and never will be Pro shooters, their "work" is mostly nonsense, and their skills are inferior...even to the abilities of a Toy Camera. It's hard to confess, and some are in denial, no doubt.

Just let it out, go ahead and admit it...you will feel so much better, and liberate yourself from always having to make excuses for your poor shots. When someone comments that you WB is way off, your photo is not sharp and the noise is out of control, you simply reply "I'm a Toy Camera shooter, and proud of it!" Instead of feeling shamed and inferior, you can hold your head up high and be proud of your inabilities!

Regards!