Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2014, 02:29 AM   #331
Veteran Member

Well yes, it is designed to be Diana like, maybe there needs to be a new word for Digital Lomography.

09-12-2014, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #332
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Still not sure I understand it all, but that link helped. It appears that these cameras make photos that the high end FF type shooters spend a fortune trying to avoid? Is that about it?

Regards!
09-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #333
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Still not sure I understand it all, but that link helped. It appears that these cameras make photos that the high end FF type shooters spend a fortune trying to avoid? Is that about it?

Regards!
I tried the Q and it belong to the category(NOFLAME!)
09-12-2014, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #334
Pentaxian

Holga D - Holga Digtal Camera - Saikat Biswas

There is also the Holga D concept camera that looks way more interesting to me than the Digital Diana. Here is a partial description from the above link. Unfortunately this never became more than an idea.

Holga D is a digital camera inspired from the extremely popular cult of Holga and other toy cameras of its kind.
Even though it's a digital camera, it retains the qualities and simplicity of the original Holga camera and brings back the joy and delayed gratification associated with good old analog photography.

For those who are not aware of Holga, it is an inexpensive, medium format 120 film toy camera, known for its whimsical and surreal images.

It's low-cost construction and simple meniscus plastic lens often crates vignetting, blur, light leaks, and other 'qualities' that's unacceptable in the mainstream photography. But the quality problems have obtained a major cult following among some photographers, and has become really popular in recent years.

The delayed gratification

In the old days of analog photography one had to wait, wait for finishing an entire roll of film, wait for development and so on.
But now, in the age of digital photography many photographers agree that the anticipation and delayed gratification of analog photography made the overall experience of photography even sweeter!

From the front it may look like just another digital camera, may be a bit minimal, but the backside is surprising, as it does not have a display!

Even though Holga D is a digital camera, in order to achieve its simplicity, it reduces the feature set to absolute minimum.
Even the display is not there! So your photographs remain mysterious until you download the images. This makes the experience quite similar to the good old film based cameras.

The features... or the lack of it!

The biggest 'feature' of the Holga D is lack of features! It has absolute bare minimum feature set that you need for unobtrusive photography.

It comes with a Last-Generation full frame or 1.5x crop sensor. Last-Generation sensors are basically outdated sensor from the mainstream market, for example, when the minimum resolution available in the mainstream market is 24mega-pixel, 12mega-pixel sensors would be the Last-generation sensor. There would be many other 'enhancements', like not adding the micro-lenses to the sensor. Which would reduce cost and might increase the vignetting other inaccuracies. It might not be desirable for common purpose photography but these effects are very much desirable for the toy camera shooters.

The functions and controls

The original Holga camera has very few controls, a 2 speed shutter, 2 apertures and very basic focusing ring. Holga D is aimed for similar rudimentary controls, but as it's a digital camera and as it has a electronic shutter there are some change in functionalities in order to make it useful.
On one side of the top panel there is a big shutter release key, and on the other side a same sized E-Ink display. Surrounding these there are two ring-dials for ISO and shutter speed control. There is a power-key on next to the shutter speed dial. The entire top panel can be removed and reversed for left hand use.

On the back panel there is a key to select between 3:2 or square aspect ratio, this is inspired from existing Holga cameras aspect ratio selector and film counter slider. Near the upper edge there is a port for accessories like viewfinder, flash, flash-shoe etc.

On the front panel there is a push button for unlocking the lens. It's also used for changing the aperture manually. The aperture is changed by placing disks with different sizes of openings. Few such aperture disks would come with each lens, but one could easily make custom aperture using metal foils, black paper or plastic.

At the bottom there is a key to select color and black or white mode. And there are battery door and sd-card bay.

---------- Post added 09-12-14 at 01:05 PM ----------

And since I haven't posted anything in a while, some Hipstamatic shots from my iPhone 5:

By the way I recently printed a bunch of my Hipstamatic shots at Costco and they turned out great.

09-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #335
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Regards!
Or trying to painstakingly re-create in post.
09-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #336
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Or trying to painstakingly re-create in post.
I should post photos with a Sigma mini wide with fungus and scratched back element
09-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #337
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Hipstamatic shots from my iPhone 5
That's really the answer for in-camera lo-fi looks with digital. Either that or do it in PS.

I don't know what to think of a digital camera that is designed to look like a plastic Diana. The render of that "Digital Holga" seems a more appropriate design choice because it isn't trying to disguise itself as it's analog counterpart. If one wants an in-camera lo-fi look for their images there are number of ways to go about it; Hipstamatic is one but buying an old digital P&S with a crappy lens seems the most obvious, a Holga lens for one's DSLR is another, using in-camera filters like those on the Q yet another. Although the images produced by the above means might possess a lo-fi quality they still wouldn't be much of a comparison to what has been termed "Lomography".

One of the defining elements of Lomography is the somewhat unpredictable nature of the various elements involved; plastic lenses, light leaks, obscure film stocks, expired film, cross processing and unusual developer choices, etc. It's not just about soft focus. Some while back the "style" of the Diana and Holga cameras were embraced as something of a fashion statement by many (Dianas for the girls, Holgas for the boys), however, the main draw and endurance beyond accessorization even amongst so called hipsters seems to have been that they were then and remain to this day film cameras. Their homely communist era design, cheap as it is, has always followed function even in Holga's more outlandish versions.

I wonder how a camera designed too look like something it is not, a digital camera designed to pose as a plastic film camera, it's form not a result of it's function, will appear and be accepted by those even slightly in the know. I'll be on the lookout for Digital Diana's at the next Brewery Artwalk to see.

---------- Post added 09-12-14 at 11:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
I should post photos with a Sigma mini wide with fungus and scratched back element
Were it not for the risk of contamination I would say, "Do it!" Maybe by not completely attaching the lens you can get light to leak onto the sensor.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 09-12-2014 at 12:04 PM.
09-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #338
Veteran Member

That's really the answer for in-camera lo-fi looks with digital. Either that or do it in PS.

I don't know what to think of a digital camera that is designed to look like a plastic Diana. The render of that "Digital Holga" seems a more appropriate design choice because it isn't trying to disguise itself as it's analog counterpart. If one wants an in-camera lo-fi look for their images there are number of ways to go about it; Hipstamatic is one but buying an old digital P&S with a crappy lens seems the most obvious, a Holga lens for one's DSLR is another, using in-camera filters like those on the Q yet another. Although the images produced by the above means might possess a lo-fi quality they still wouldn't be much of a comparison to what has been termed "Lomography".

One of the defining elements of Lomography is the somewhat unpredictable nature of the various elements involved; plastic lenses, light leaks, obscure film stocks, expired film, cross processing and unusual developer choices, etc. It's not just about soft focus. Some while back the "style" of the Diana and Holga cameras were embraced as something of a fashion statement by many (Dianas for the girls, Holgas for the boys), however, the main draw and endurance beyond accessorization even amongst so called hipsters seems to have been that they were then and remain to this day film cameras. Their homely communist era design, cheap as it is, has always followed function even in Holga's more outlandish versions.

I wonder how a camera designed too look like something it is not, a digital camera designed to pose as a plastic film camera, it's form not a result of it's function, will appear and be accepted by those even slightly in the know. I'll be on the lookout for Digital Diana's at the next Brewery Artwalk to see.

---------- Post added 09-12-14 at 11:47 AM ----------

Were it not for the risk of contamination I would say, "Do it!" Maybe by not completely attaching the lens you can get light to leak onto the sensor.
I may try to use it more. If you look trough it it's full of dots and the back element looks as if was struck by screw diver..close ups look sharp.

I have to fix contacts because it makes my K30 funky.

The inside- It's my first non ebay lens...and the last (optically perfect...with a minor fault on the coating)

How can be a lens scratched just in the inside? I have to try it with the sun in frame.

I may give a try to Lubitel with a BW film. I'll post it here

Last edited by AldaCZ; 09-12-2014 at 12:47 PM.
09-12-2014, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #339
Veteran Member

Topped out today with the not so toy X10

Who says you need a larger sensor to give you a out of focus background.... just get bloody close to your subject

The X10 is great for snaps of the kids!

Cheers, Steve
09-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #340
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
Topped out today with the not so toy X10

Who says you need a larger sensor to give you a out of focus background.... just get bloody close to your subject

The X10 is great for snaps of the kids!

Cheers, Steve
THe colours in photos with stones!! Delicious !
09-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #341
Pentaxian

One of the defining elements of Lomography is the somewhat unpredictable nature of the various elements involved; plastic lenses, light leaks, obscure film stocks, expired film, cross processing and unusual developer choices, etc. It's not just about soft focus.
This is one of the reasons I love the Hipstamatic app. There is a shake to randomize button that picks random filters to toss on the picture. I have gotten some of my favorite shots that way using filters I would have never picked otherwise.

A couple of more Shake to Randomize snaps:

09-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #342
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You guys are giving some nice sophistication to the Toy Camera thread, very interesting stuff! The shots you all are posting are living proof that plenty of very worthy work can be done with a Toy Camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
And since I haven't posted anything in a while, some Hipstamatic shots from my iPhone 5:
MrBassie.....Sir.....that first shot of the little girl at the water is a masterpiece no matter what kind of camera shot it, it is just stunning! So are the last two you just posted. You don't find that talent inside a Toy Camera or any other kind of camera, you only find that in the eyes of the shooter.

You guys make me think of my own stuff as junk...and maybe it is, but I still have a ton of fun doing it! Like a blind hog finding an acorn, I do get lucky every so often! This next week I plan on experimenting with the various filters on the X20 to see what they offer. They have several interesting filters...Toy Camera, Soft Focus, Miniature Camera ...and a half dozen or so more. Maybe I will learn something new?

Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 09-13-2014 at 06:31 AM.
09-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #343
Pentaxian

Some fine and creative stuff indeed!

I went hiking a couple of days ago along the mountain ridge that overlooks the Hudson River just down the road. The view is looking straight down towards the Spier Falls dam and the second shows the scar the transmission lines make delivering all that power. Nice views but I always think how awesome this must have been back when the river was wild (read Last of the Mohicans).

On my way back down I stopped for a rest and some water and happened to look up. Boris the Spider.

09-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #344
Dark Underlord
Loyal Site Supporter

Kodak Medalist II

Does a Kodak Medalist II count as a toy camera? The first image is one of the lions in front of the New York Public Library. One is called Patience, the other called Fortitude. I don't know which is which, but this is the one on the right. I ran into an issue with re-rolling 120 onto 620 spools, so this was actually the first exposure that made it onto the emulsion (well, mostly). The other picture is a statue behind the left lion. She wasn't getting nearly as much attention. My second attempt at a 620 roll-your-own was a complete blow-out, so it is now my practice roll. I was so frustrated at the outcome that I took the 645N out today. Oh, what a difference! The 645 is a film-eater. The Medalist will take you a whole day to make eight exposures, if you can get eight out of it. After some practice with my "dummy" roll, I think I have a properly rolled and loaded 120/620 roll of Tri-X 100 in the Medalist now. Cross your fingers, but don't hold your breath...
Attached Images

09-13-2014, 06:40 AM   #345
Veteran Member

Original Poster
AquaDome......Looks like a Toy Camera to me... https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A2KLtb.rRxRUWP8AQLibvZx4?p=Kodak+Medali...yfp-t-901&fp=1

If they new Fuji X30 looked more like it and less like a Panasonic plastic body camera they would now be receiving orders faster than they could log them! Good looking camera!

It would also make a nice looking body for a Pentax FF camera.....but so would a Unicorn.....which has about the same odds of becoming a Pentax FF camera!

Regards!