Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #391
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Looks like a lot of fun times Reef! Those are some very nice shots of the event, up close and personal. I've never had a desire to ride around in a basket, given my tendency to fall off of things, why give disaster a perfect opportunity to finish me off?

Regards!
Me either! I'm also prone to motion sickness which could seriously ruin somebody's day who happened to be looking up at the wrong moment. It's a great, fun time to photograph! I was hoping for a nice colorful sunrise too but unfortunately, it didn't happen. None of the balloons actually launched due to unfavorable wind but quite a few inflated and stayed tethered to the ground. I'll be posting more shots as I go through them. Most were with the K5 and my wide lenses.

09-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #392
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Me either! I'm also prone to motion sickness which could seriously ruin somebody's day who happened to be looking up at the wrong moment.
Reminds me.....I was once at an amusement park on one of those spinning rides where the centrifugal force holds you against the walls and the floor drops out from under you. Kids started puking and the stuff was circling the sphere and you could see it coming but you couldn't avoid it. I believe that was the last ride I ever got on at an amusement park.

Only bad experience lately is when I was feeding the animals and a squirrel on a tree branch above me had to take a leak....right down the back of my shirt.

Regards!
09-22-2014, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #393
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reef, I'm enjoying your shots with the Lumix! I had an older Lumix model, a TZ1 superzoom that I loved (and lost!) Here's a couple from January 2010, taken at a really nice ranch/campground in East Texas. Rupert, it's about 2+ hours east of DFW, past Sulphur Springs - just a beautiful spot to rent a cabin and get away from it all.

Daughter & niece looking for a fishing spot...

A rustic old wagon parked in the woods:

Last edited by paulh; 09-22-2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: date correction
09-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #394
Pentaxian

Very nice, Paul! I'm liking the Lumix. How come you didn't replace it? The prices really seem to drop on them a few months after they get released.

09-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #395
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just been looking back over the past few pages since I was last in. Some utterly stunning shots, great macros, lovely landscapes and of course Rupert's food!! (I dont know how you manage to eat that much and not become large, Rupert!).

Anyone else looking at the new Canon G7X? 1" sensor should make that interesting. The LX 100 too, they are calling it a 4/3 sensor but its smaller, I believe? Too much gorgeous gear and too few dollars
09-24-2014, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #396
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Too much gorgeous gear and too few dollars
Just wear your shoes a little longer and you will have plenty of camera cash!

Nice shooting Paul, I love the old wagon shot, very nice colors and plenty sharp too!

Regards!
09-25-2014, 07:29 AM - 2 Likes   #397
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Very nice, Paul! I'm liking the Lumix. How come you didn't replace it? The prices really seem to drop on them a few months after they get released.
Actually, I did replace it! After losing my first one at an airport, I used our old "never say die" Canon Powershot A430 for a year or two as my p&s. Then I found a used TZ1 on craigslist & snagged it. I only had it a couple weeks, when it died a violent death - by tumbling off the roof of my car (where I'd left it!) at freeway speed. So, back to the old Canon again. I took my bad luck with the Lumix's as a sign, and picked up the Canon SD 1100 IS. The old Lumix was a decent camera, and the superzoom was a lot of fun, but the Canon is a better picture-taking device, imo. I'm sure the latest-gen Lumix's are top-notch cameras. But I actually use the Canon far more than I ever dreamed I would - the fact that it fits in my pocket has a lot to do with that

One more from the TZ1 - looking across the Mississippi River from the Vicksburg, MS visitor center:

Last edited by paulh; 09-25-2014 at 07:48 AM.
09-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #398
Veteran Member

I've been doing some work on one of my old engines, the carburettor has warped quite badly over the 70 years (or is it 72...) I sometimes write for Stationary Engine Magazine so like to document all work I do so took some photos as I went.

Here is the carburettor in bits.

Flattening off one half with some went and dry on some glass.

Rebuilt.

I did notice something quite interesting on the wet and dry with the water and fine aluminium particles, so took some photos, I've run them through the NIK collection and was quite pleased with them, I have some more but not gone through them all,

Cheers, Steve
09-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #399
Pentaxian

Wow! That is an old carburetor! Can you still get parts for it?

A fine series too. Love the B&W.
09-26-2014, 01:53 AM   #400
Veteran Member

Thanks,

You can get most of it, repair parts etc, castings are a bit hard to get hold off, I have older carbs as well... Got two from the 1930's and what passed for a carburettor around 1920 on a hit and miss engine.

This is a simple branch carburettor of a Villiers Mar-Vil from about 1932, taken on the X10 of course..

Cheers, Steve
09-26-2014, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #401
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Skank...Those sort of remind me of my old Amal carbs on my British bikes. I loved those things....simple but highly dependable and could be rebuilt on the side of the road on a moonless night if necessary. Not much to them, but they worked very well. If you had the main jet and pilot jet right, that was all you needed, not much else to worry about.
Regards!
09-26-2014, 06:51 AM   #402
Pentaxian

You see a lot of similar carbs on old farm tractors. John Deere still stocks parts for them or they were a few years ago. It's been a while since I tinkered with one. I think the simple carbs were always the best. I rebuilt a few from 80's cars that were a nightmare. I'm quite happy with fuel injection for my every day engines but it's nice to see the old ones still chugging along.
09-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #403
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Skank...Those sort of remind me of my old Amal carbs on my British bikes. I loved those things....simple but highly dependable and could be rebuilt on the side of the road on a moonless night if necessary. Not much to them, but they worked very well. If you had the main jet and pilot jet right, that was all you needed, not much else to worry about.
Regards!
Got a couple of Amal carbs here on my Scott's, not sure what one of them is but the other is a TT.

If you want old-tech try a circa 1920's carb on a Sattley made by Nelson Brothers Michigan

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by skankin_giant; 09-26-2014 at 10:15 AM.
09-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #404
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SOlex? they were used here (the car still works. It was made in 1960's)

09-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #405
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmmm.....that car sort of reminds me of a Yugo....but Yugos didn't have carburetors...didn't need them, since the didn't run anyhow!

Regards!