Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here's an oldie, hoping to get back there this summer... X10, of course. Great for traveling.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
04-12-2014, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Good lordy Jac! What are you trying to do here? Shots like that rival those "Big Guns" that cost thousands of dollars and need all those high powered lenses...that aren't free either. Imagine the strain on the economy if DSLR shooters dump their fancy gear for a Toy Camera......guys like you will be held responsible...PForums will evaporate, and shooters will have fun again instead of spending hours pixel peeping and salivating over FF sensors.

Gee, your little Toy even picked up the moss on the roof......we can't be allowing that kind of shooting here!

Regards!
04-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The X10 is great, but you are way too kind with the comment. That said, some of my favorite photos are from it--and a Sony with a mini disk inside from 20 years ago. It got color and exposures right, outdoors at least, and would definitely qualify these days as a toy or even trash camera. The discussion is valuable, meanwhile it may be hard to qualify an X10 as a toy. I understand, but it does things well; it's a good tool. In the digital world, toy is definitely relative these days, but fitting in a bag daily or not is a good judge of things. Then, is it moss or lichen??? The light was amazing that day, that's what this lets me remember.
David
04-12-2014, 05:04 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

Today was the nicest so far this year. I headed out on the bike to map out a charity run for next month. I'm trying to make the ride scenic and since the higher elevations are still snow covered, I headed south and into the Mohawk Valley. This is the reconstructed Foxcreek Covered Bridge in the town of Schohaire. The LF 1 shoots RAW so I was able to bring up the shadows a bit in Lightroom.

Would my K5 have been better? Certainly, but it wouldn't have fit in my shirt pocket. But I did turn the mode dial to "P". That means "professional", right?

04-13-2014, 07:06 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Reef/Jac - Guys, I'm sorry, but you are ruining my Toy Camera thread with shots like those. Toy Camera shots are supposed to make you laugh, ridicule the results, and praise your big heavy DSLR and that big sack full of lenses you carry around with your forklift. Your shots don't come close to reaching that goal. If people keep seeing results like those, Toy Cameras will get a bad reputation for producing excellent results, and DSLR sales will plummet.....we don't want that, do we? Other shooters out having fun, throwing away their back braces, and saving thousands of $$$ on fancy expensive gear. Is that the kind of world you guys want to establish?

Next thing you know, you guys will be trying to shoot lovely models with a Toy Camera! Hilarious!

Regards!
04-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I know, it's a terrible thing. I'm feeling guilty about buying the version that I bought for such a low price. For twice as much, I could have got the same camera with a red dot on it and the word Leica scrolled across the front. Of course, then it is no longer a "Toy Camera". It's a Leica!

I'm not a studio guy. I know very little about studio lighting and I'm not good with a flash. I did commit a terrible sin, however. I used my toy camera as a backup to shoot a wedding. It was very handy at the reception.

04-13-2014, 01:31 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I understand Reef....I got carried away at a wedding and put down my K5 and used my Toy X10 for a few shots......Toy Cameras have feelings too, they don't want to be left out in the cold...they love to party!

X10

At this party the X10 was all over the place snapping away! The guy there with the big Canon was over at a corner table "resting his back" while the X10 was out dancing and having a blast!

It mush have been funny? Mrs Rupert was probably laughing at me and my Toy Camera?

Regards!

04-14-2014, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

I confess that I shoot more with my Sony RX100 than I do my D7000.

We can hardly call the Sony a toy camera when you consider its price

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2uyekxzo8csz5aq/Flower.jpg

Last edited by dylansalt; 04-14-2014 at 01:30 PM.
04-14-2014, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
dylansalt - Love those! Great doggie shot! Well, I am imagining the new X30 with a 1"+ sensor will not be cheap either, but it will still be a Toy Camera. Toy Cameras are anything without interchangeable lenses and less than FF. I read that somewhere from a guy that owns several FF cameras. He never shoots with them, but he spends hours pixel peeping, so I know he "knows his stuff".

The RX 100 is an impressive camera, I love the shots I see from it. Hopefully the X30 will be on an equal footing...and still have the OVF, which I find an absolute must in the bright Texas sun. I'd even be happy if they kept the 12MP and used a 1" sensor. That might be very interesting?

Regards!
04-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Toy Cameras are anything without interchangeable lenses and less than FF.
I guess my Sigma DP2M is a toy camera by that definition. Here are some pics from it:

04-15-2014, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I guess my Sigma DP2M is a toy camera by that definition. Here are some pics from it:
Mr Bassie.....Those are excellent! Yes, it qualifies as a Toy Camera, although those shots rival the "Big Boys". You are quite welcome to post more!

Nothing against the "Big Boys", they have their place, but small carry anywhere cameras have all the fun and get you a shot at a seconds notice, without hassle or being overly conspicuous. You shoot more...you get more..and you enjoy it more often.

Ava loves my Toy Camera and always requests it over my K5.....Toy Cameras don't scare little kids!

Regards!
04-15-2014, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

No toys here. Olympus XZ-1, a serious compact.

Single Gull Processed par Sue Wotton, on ipernity

Before Dawn par Sue Wotton, on ipernity

Mondayitis par Sue Wotton, on ipernity

Last edited by kyteflyer; 04-15-2014 at 01:18 PM.
04-15-2014, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
No toys here. Olympus XZ-1, a serious compact.
Very nice shooting, and I love Oly...my first digital was an Oly C720 and it was amazing to me.

However.......your Oly is a Toy Camera...it fits the definition of my pixel peeping FF shooter friend that has defined them. It's OK, you are in denial, and so are many others here. I was hoping to hear some "True Confessions", some crying and tear jerk stories of those admitting they are at heart...Toy Camera shooters. Not many want to confess.....like I did. I'm proud I did, head up high, and boldly going where no "Big Boy" camera can go! I feel so liberated! No one expects much out of me, and so I don't disappoint...it's such a relief!

Example...I shot this cow earlier today. A real camera shooter would frame the shot, maybe nudge the foreground cow out of the way, or lean over the fence to frame better. Not me! I just shoot it an move on, and no one cares, they just say "What do you expect from a Toy Camera shooter?"

Fuji X10
04-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Quite frankly, Rupert, I cringe every time I see you use that term. Tell your friend to pull his head in!
04-16-2014, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Quite frankly, Rupert, I cringe every time I see you use that term. Tell your friend to pull his head in!
Well, it is what it is...but I guess I could use a more PC term.....maybe "Pixelly Challenged" or "Developmentally Deprived" ?

Anyhow, like today at the dentist, it's easy to get a shot with a Toy Camera..they just smile and think nothing of a little thing like that pointing at them. Imagine her opening the door and seeing a big heavy FF with a huge flash and a big fat lens staring her in the face! Yep, I bet I would regret that as soon as I got in the chair for my appointment!

As long as you get the shot, the shot you would have missed without your camera in hand...you have the right camera!

Regards!