10-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #452
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree - those shots are fantastic!
10-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #453
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Well...it is not technically a Toy Camera,but if you feel like it is, we won't argue with you!

Regards!
I know, I was joking. The closest thing I have to a toy camera is my compact, which doesn't get a lot of use nowadays.
10-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #454
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Welcome the X30 to the Toy Camera world! Mr Bassie, you knocked the socks off with those shots, and that Classic Chrome is a real winner....it might well end up as your favorite setting.

I found it a coincidence that my first shots with my X10 were also of Mariachis at a wedding several years ago......and it was a day I left my K5 at home and only took the X10......been shooting mostly Toy Cameras ever since!

My first day with my X10

This was when I learned that people don't run from Toy Cameras, and you can move about and shoot with ease. Been using them ever since with great pleasure! I know that you will be hooked on the X30 in no time......and if you haven't used the Pro Low Light setting yet.......you will be amazed at its abilities!

Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 10-14-2014 at 09:14 AM.
10-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #455
Veteran Member

Iona

Chickens don't run from them either!

This was shot on the Fuji X-30 in Toy Camera mode, hence the heavy vignetting. Wish I could adjust the parameters of this filter more. I would love to shoot classic chrome in square format with a raw backup, but alas I can do none of those things in Toy Camera mode.

Not bad feather detail for a toy camera.
10-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #456
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Having fun already Mr Bassie! Lots of things to explore on the X cameras. Nice looking chicken shot, the detail is very good!

I never shot a chicken, but I've shot lots of cows and a few possums with my X10/X20...

Never shot a Turkey either.....but have shot some Turkey Buzzards.

Heck I'll shoot most anything I run across! Toy Cameras do that to you...make you want to shoot often!

Regards!
10-15-2014, 07:07 AM   #457
Veteran Member

The subjects of these Fuji photos all look so happy. That's why Fuji is a toy camera.
Serious shooters use a Canon, because a cannon is never a toy.

10-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #458
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
That's why Fuji is a toy camera.
Serious shooters use a Canon, because a cannon is never a toy.
Then why does Canon make so many Toy Cameras....I think they call them "Rebels" or something like that? Maybe they just want to join the fun Fuji shooters enjoy? Don't be jealous, you can shoot Toy Camera shots with most any Canon.....millions do it with their "Rebels" every day!

Regards!
10-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #459
Veteran Member

Since I sold my 70D, I don't have any toy Canons anymore. All I have left is an old QL17.

I did recently acquire a few rolls of film for my Kodak Advantix Preview. Its an APS film camera which has a digital display on the back. After you take a picture, you can view it on the display and "preview" it in Crop, Horizontal, or Panorama. Your choice is saved in the "printing preference" section of the data-strip on the film so your Advantix processor knows how to crop it for prints. Is this the first APS-C digital camera, even though it shoots film?
10-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #460
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Since I sold my 70D, I don't have any toy Canons anymore. All I have left is an old QL17.

I did recently acquire a few rolls of film for my Kodak Advantix Preview. Its an APS film camera which has a digital display on the back. After you take a picture, you can view it on the display and "preview" it in Crop, Horizontal, or Panorama. Your choice is saved in the "printing preference" section of the data-strip on the film so your Advantix processor knows how to crop it for prints. Is this the first APS-C digital camera, even though it shoots film?
I bought a Nikon Pronea 6i, an APS film SLR. I liked the format. Three different sized prints and it saved your data which would be printed on the back of each print. Unfortunately for those of us who bought into the systems, digital came of age soon after the whole Advantix took off and it died out quickly. The Nikon Pronea SLR's had problems with the film advance mechanisms and discontinued the line a couple of years later and left users with broken cameras they wouldn't fix. It left a bad taste in my mouth regarding Nikon but I guess it wasn't as bad as the beating Minolta took. The losses surrounding APS film cameras is what triggered the camera division getting sold to Sony.

If the system had survived, I prefered it to 35mm. One cool feature was you could switch film mid roll. The camera would rewind your film back into the cartridge and remember its position so you could shoot ASA 100 for half a roll and then switch to 400 or 800. You could later reload the 100 back in the camera and it would wind the film forward to where you left off so you didn't loose shots. But then digital came along and film became history.
10-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #461
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You guys at least had some film experience, which I do believe made you better shooters than guys like me that had none. My first camera was an Oly C720 and I was amazed by it, and then the DS was next for me...even more amazed.
Shooting film is like having a single shot rifle, you have to get good at it or you don't eat much game. With digital, you can erase your mistakes over and over and just move on hoping somehow you will get better but not really learning why you were so bad to start. I've learned a lot, but never will catch up with old film guys.

Of course, being a Toy Camera shooter, no one really expects too much anyhow! That being said...look at all the great shots posted in this thread, some of you guys can make a Toy Camera sing like a songbird!

I can document some new tires for Mrs Rupert, not much skill needed for that!

These are not the kind of guys that will pose for a camera, trust me! However, since it was just a Toy Camera they consented with ease! Pointing a "Real" camera at these guys could get you killed pretty fast! Fortunately, I had my X20, and I'm uglier than either one of them, which probably helped me get this shot!

Regards!
10-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #462
Veteran Member

Funny - the thing I remember most about shooting film is knowing each click cost more money so get it right the first time! I actually find it kind of funny when I read about a person getting a DSLR and just setting it on continuous drive and use it as a machine gun.

Those look like a couple of good 'ol home town boys for sure!
10-15-2014, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #463
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Those look like a couple of good 'ol home town boys for sure!
Exactly what they are! The one on the right used to dig for me when I was still plumbing. The one on the left is a mufti-millionaire.....which is often very hard to spot here in Texas, they don't always fit what you might expect them to look like. . Either one will lend a helping hand to a stranger, and be there for a friend at a moments notice.

We tend to judge by appearances too often...and too often we are dead wrong!
Regards
10-15-2014, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #464
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of these photos look too good to be what I personally would think of as "toy camera" stuff. And where are all the Sprocket Rockets, man?

FOR GREAT LENS FLARE!!

My Pentax ZX-5n is not a "toy camera", but when I put a cheap old Vivitar 19mm lens on it, I got this:

That's Kodak Ektar 100. Nothing else puts out colors like that.

10-16-2014, 05:21 AM   #465
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
A lot of these photos look too good to be what I personally would think of as "toy camera" stuff. And where are all the Sprocket Rockets, man?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/257...ml#post2807771

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/257...ml#post2805030

Here are some sprockets I posted earlier on this thread. Glad to see someone else using one.