Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2108 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #691
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
Just noticed I took this one with a Sony W350 some time ago.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from Cornwall or in Cornish.... Nadelik Lowen ha Blydhen Nowydh Da

Cheers, Steve
Nice one Steve, but tell me, didn't the language we speak here come from over there???
I guess that missed the Normans...
Just kidding. Merry Christmas! Joyeux Noel!
David

12-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #692
Veteran Member

Just noticed I took this one with a Sony W350 some time ago.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from Cornwall or in Cornish.... Nadelik Lowen ha Blydhen Nowydh Da

Cheers, Steve
That's a lovely shot of a lovely bird. I know they're not the nicest birds but I still love looking at them when they are walking around. Nature's Art at it's finest...
12-24-2014, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #693
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yep, nice bird Skank! I want to thank you for posting and for Jac and Mag responding....I was beginning to believe I was all alone over here!
Hopefully we will be seeing some new Toy Camera shots after the Christmas gifts are opened?

Best Regards & Merry Christmas to all the Toy Camera shooters!
12-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #694
Veteran Member

Probably. I really should take some pics of my little Olys. I keep putting it off. I know my Oly M43 cameras don't quite meet your toy camera criteria but for me they really are my toy cameras these days and they look so cute all blinged up... :P

12-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #695
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I know my Oly M43 cameras don't quite meet your toy camera criteria
Mag, we'll make an exception for you.....but only if you actually post some photos here! A little Oly C720 was my first ever camera and it got me started in photo taking. I thought it was an amazing camera, and actually, it was! I had been trying to decide on a retirement hobby and it was between a new Triumph motorcycle or going cameras. Mrs Rupert didn't want me riding again due to the danger, and she pointed out that the cameras were much cheaper too and would save me some cash. Cameras are safer, but after a few years of collecting bodies and lenses, it sure wasn't cheaper!

I'd like a new Toy Camera, but at this point the only one that appeals to me is the X30 and it is so close to my X10/X20 that it wouldn't make sense......I'll wait a while and see what pops up next. I was thinking the Sony DSC-RX100 III but the range is just too limited for my needs. Toy Cameras are taking off very nicely, so it won't be long until the next "right one" comes along!

Best Regards & Merry Christmas! I hope everyone here will make 2015 a good year for this Toy Camera thread.....I have really enjoyed everyone's contributions this past year! Fun stuff!

---------- Post added 12-25-14 at 10:19 AM ----------

:
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Hope these are okay to post here Rupert. I believe the X100S meets your requirements for a toy camera. Regards!
Lovely shots Mr Bassie, and at those high ISO settings, very impressive! Yes, absolutely, the X100 is a Toy Camera, this can be verified in any FF thread here at PF, where anything short of a FF camera is "just a toy".

Best Regards & Merry Christmas!
12-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #696
Veteran Member

Rupert, you should get yourself a M43 body. They can be had cheaply now and they have all the advantages of the little cams but you can change a lens if you want to. Seriously I can carry one in my jacket pocket and I can still be able to change lenses if I want to. Best "tiny kit' combo IMHO is an Olympus E-P3 or E-PL3 or later and the 17mm Olympus lens. I've had actual pocket cams that were bigger and that weighed more and that were nothing beside one of these. You could go Q too, of course but I really like my Oly's when it comes to this.

They have all the programmed settings I actually find handy and it's very comfortable using one. Plus, they have the best macro and low light settings I've ever seen on a little camera, period. Maybe it's that my Oly lenses are mostly primes and very good ones, but sometimes I could swear they outdo my K-30's on that score. The EPL series is smaller, lighter, more like a regular pocket cam than the regular series is. Might suit you better, but I like the E-P series because it's more like a DSLR AND a pocket cam in one. I get more settings I can choose with an E-P3 vs say an E-PL3, but it is a tad heavier if you go with say an E-P3.

The E-PL5 is just out and it would set you back a bit but it's supposed to be nice. You'd probably like one, but anything beyond an E-P3 or E-P3 will have the good sensor and be super quick...

This is the newest with the new version of the kit zoom, which isn't bad for a kit zoom.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Interchangeable-Digital-Camera-14-42mm/dp/B0096WDMGC

but this is the one I really like....

With the kit....

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Interchangeable-Camera-14-42mm-Silver/dp/B0058...s=olympus+e-p3

With the 17mm. FYI, it's small, like smaller than pancake small, the perfect pocket lens...

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Thirds-Interchangeable-Digital-Camera/dp/B0059...e-p3+with+17mm

They're running a bit more now but I've seen either combo for less than $249 used on Amazon at one time or another and IMHO it's totally worth the buy if you can find one for cheap. Best little "fun" pocket camera I have ever owned, bar none. I'm totally in love with mine. Oh and the E-P3, it has a really good touch screen. You touch it, pick your focus spot and BOOM you're there. I just love that. I don't even hardly need the EVF with that screen...

Last edited by magkelly; 12-25-2014 at 11:18 AM.
12-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #697
Veteran Member

I’ve been thinking about getting a OMD EM5 for the wife/me.... but they haven’t quite come down in price enough and there is not that many around 2nd hand.

Cheers, Steve

12-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #698
Veteran Member

I’ve been thinking about getting a OMD EM5 for the wife/me.... but they haven’t quite come down in price enough and there is not that many around 2nd hand.

Cheers, Steve
Actually I've seen quite a few on KEH. Better prices on that one than Amazon, but still not what I'd call cheap, no. When it comes to Oly I definitely like their M43 cameras and I've heard nothing but praise for the OMD's so I think it might actually be worth it maybe...
12-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #699
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm trying to stick to the Toy Cameras..they are what I use the most and what suits my needs...and skills, best. I have fun with them and at this stage of life, for me, that is what is most important in a camera. The little X cameras still delight me when I hold one, the build quality is addictive to the touch, and the IQ is generally sufficient for my needs. I still have the K5 and some very decent lenses, but seldom use it.
I love to see what others do with the "Big Guns" but for me a Toy Camera brings all the joy I need!

I am fascinated with the "Classic Chrome" from the new X30.....sure hope to see more of those in the Toy Camera thread this coming year!
Regards!
12-25-2014, 02:18 PM - 2 Likes   #700
Veteran Member

Well I thought it was a bit of a gimmick but tried the X30’s wifi function through my camera and had a great laugh with the boy, no more toilet mirror selfies for me!........

Didn’t quite nail the eyes, but was only a bit of fun.

Cheers, Steve
12-25-2014, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #701
Pentaxian

I'm away with my wife for Christmas and since our 42 anniversary is next week, this is also an anniversary trip. It's been raining, not the best weather for skiing with a camera but it began clearing this morning so I felt comfortable bringing the little Lumix LF1 in my pocket this morning.
I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas and Holiday season from Stratton, Vt. And yes, we did have a White Christmas since it snowed yesterday morning before the rain and it was on and off snow showers all day today.

Last edited by reeftool; 12-29-2016 at 04:45 PM.
12-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #702
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I thought it was a bit of a gimmick but tried the X30’s wifi function through my camera and had a great laugh with the boy, no more toilet mirror selfies for me!........
Wow, that boy looks just like you! What neat fun! I think you are going to be here a lot with your X30 shots...I sure hope so!

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I'm away with my wife for Christmas and since our 42 anniversary is next week, this is also an anniversary trip.
Happy anniversary Reef! Have fun but be careful, you don't want to end up all busted up like old Rupert!

Look forward to seeing all you guys/girls here in 2015.....let's try to make Toy Camera history!

Merry Christmas!
12-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #703
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Happy holidays to all - nice shots, everyone
Here's a couple Canon p&s shots from a dogwalk earlier in the month:

Our dog Jeannie managed to get her head in the frame...

changing colors...
12-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #704
Veteran Member

I finally posted my toy cameras in the gallery if you guys want to see them. ")
12-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #705
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Didn’t quite nail the eyes, but was only a bit of fun.

Cheers, Steve
Nice, Steve, you two do look alike as Rupert said. And the little guy looks happy. Not sure what you mean by wifi and the photo...

---------- Post added 12-26-14 at 07:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Happy holidays to all - nice shots, everyone
Here's a couple Canon p&s shots from a dogwalk earlier in the month:

Our dog Jeannie managed to get her head in the frame...

changing colors...
Nice color on those oak leaves!