Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #721
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At one point I had an S7000 which at that time was Fuji's best upscale P&S. It was a nice camera, very much like a DSLR except you could not change lenses. I could even shoot RAW with it which was unusual in P&S cameras back then. I did have these lenses that fit over the zoom, that supposedly gave you wide and long, but they never really worked well. The camera itself was great and I got some stellar shots with it, but it never did work well for me in low light. It was near useless in a club the one time a pal asked me to take some pics in one. I really ended up regretting that I had no DSLR for that one. Fuji makes good little cams IMHO, darned good compared to some. One thing about my E-P3's that I really, really love is that they have very nice low light capacity and the fastest focus I've ever seen, even in the half dark. Honestly I don't even know if Olympus makes P&S mini cams but if I was going to get one and they did I'd be tempted given how great my E-P3's are. They're doing something right...

12-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #722
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
They're doing something right...
Mag.....Oly is doing a lot of things right, they make some great cameras. I got hooked on the Fuji retro look and the very fine build quality of the little Toy X cameras, and think Fuji is more "forward thinking" than most...but Oly has some great equipment and their customer service from my past experience was tops, just excellent. If they make a Toy Camera that appeals to me, I will most certainly buy one!

Regards!
01-03-2015, 04:30 AM - 2 Likes   #723
Veteran Member

More X30 goodness from London 30th Dec.

]

Admiralty Arch.

The Nose of Admiralty Arch, this nose is 7ft high, and the story goes that Admitaly Arch grew the nose and it is the spirt of The Duke of Wellington who was known to have a big nose, it is said solders on horse back would rub the nose as they past for good luck..... the less rose tinted truth is it was a art installation from 1997 poking fun at the big brother state.

Covent Garden.

Carnaby Street.

Sorry for so many photos, quite enjoyed this walk with the X30, I shrunk it down from 200 odd shots....

Cheers, Steve

---------- Post added 01-03-15 at 05:01 AM ----------

Just a quick’en from the X30 of my grandmother, she wasn’t in the mood...... taken inside at night so quite a bit of noise!

Cheers, Steve
01-03-2015, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #724
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote

]

Admiralty Arch.

The Nose of Admiralty Arch, this nose is 7ft high, and the story goes that Admitaly Arch grew the nose and it is the spirt of The Duke of Wellington who was known to have a big nose, it is said solders on horse back would rub the nose as they past for good luck..... the less rose tinted truth is it was a art installation from 1997 poking fun at the big brother state.

Covent Garden.

Carnaby Street.

Sorry for so many photos, quite enjoyed this walk with the X30, I shrunk it down from 200 odd shots....

Cheers, Steve

Just a quick’en from the X30 of my grandmother, she wasn’t in the mood...... taken inside at night so quite a bit of noise!

Cheers, Steve
Nice series Steve....the last one priceless, you should show GM that one when she feels more up to it, and then ask her to give you chance to take one of her, with a nice smile...lovely lady

01-03-2015, 04:45 PM   #725
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's a rockin' little camera in your hands Skank! Sure hope to see more posted here in 2015. Put away your X-Pro and go Toy Camera, it's all you need 90% of the time! I think the B/W shots are better than my X10/X20...or it could be that you are a better shooter and using better settings than me? Maybe I need some lessons?

Best Regards!
01-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #726
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

]

Admiralty Arch.

Covent Garden.

Carnaby Street.

Cheers, Steve

Cheers, Steve
Nice post Steve, it runs the gamut. You seems to have quite the night on the town! I like them all, including the stories.
David
01-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #727
Veteran Member

I've been looking at X30 reviews recently (window shopping, I suppose). The Pocket-Lint review was quite positive and featured a picture that you might appreciate Rupert...

Fujifilm X30 review: Bigger and better, but beleaguered - Pocket-lint

... perhaps you've seen it already.

Cheers!

01-04-2015, 02:22 AM   #728
Veteran Member

Thanks for the positive comments, I’v been enjoying the X30, I didn’t think I would appreciate the EVF and tilting screen until I used them, they are very good.
The extra bulk and new grip are also quite welcome, some how I don’t think I would enjoy shooting a RX100 as much. I’m not sure I would have paid full price though....I do miss EXR mode though, I have to think more....

Rupert my current B&W settings are Highlight +1 Shadow +1 NR-2 DR Auto WB Auto B&W Green filter.

Cheers, Steve
01-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #729
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for those settings Skank, I'll give them a shot!

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
... perhaps you've seen it already.
Thanks...I hadn't seen it...great looking little furry guy, wasn't he! That seemed a fair review of the X30, however I think one important advantage over some of the other small cameras was the range of the X30. That range is very important to me, and the main reason I didn't buy the LX100. I would love to have the X30 but with a X10 and X20 on hand, it is hard to justify. I want that Classic Chrome setting the X30 has...but will have to live without it for now.

Meanwhile, the X20 still shoots food shots...in case any of you guys are hungry?

X20- BTW These are at ISO 1000 using the Pro Low Light setting, which is a simply amazing setting on the X cameras! Straight out of the camera...no noise reduction used in processing.

Eaten last night at one of my favorite eateries around here...

Best Regards!
01-04-2015, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #730
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice contributions everyone - great looking photos! Rupert, I've heard of the "legendary" Mary's Cafe - gonna have to take a drive out there sometime...
A few from my humble Canon p&s, my "dogwalking camera" since it fits right in my pants pocket
Pointed my camera down, and came up with this one:

Jeannie's squirrel-watch...

These weeds are awaiting Spring:
01-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #731
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice walkabout shots Paul....and I bet they weren't taken today! The wind is howling out there and it is cold...too cold for me!

Regards!
01-06-2015, 04:55 AM   #732
Veteran Member

Nice ones, I must make an attempt to carry the X30 around with me more often.... I keep forgetting to pick it up!

Cheers, Steve
01-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #733
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I must make an attempt to carry the X30 around with me more often
I almost always have my X20 with me, but yesterday I went to town without it and missed a great series of shots when two Longhorns got cross with each other. It rarely happens, but it is a real sight to see when it does...and I missed filming it!

Let's keep those Toy Cameras at the ready at all times!

Regards!
01-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #734
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
two Longhorns got cross with each other.
What's so fascinating about a couple of college jocks going at each other?

Maybe I misunderstood something.......................................

01-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #735
Veteran Member

I also took the X30 down to St Ives.

I liked the sign...

The X30 didn’t quite nail the lighting like the X10 would.... bad workmen etc.....

Just before he got soaked by a wave....

Who need FF for Shallow DOF...... :P

Hmm olives...

Cheers, Steve