Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #856
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Original Poster
Stan, you would do fine with a 4WD truck on almost all the back roads that criss-cross the area. Some of the roads more or less end and become trails where the pack mules used to carry ore from the quicksilver mine to Marathon about 80 miles north. In '88 I bought two dirt bikes, a Suzuki 370 and a 100 for my son and we went on every back country trail in Big Bend that Spring. Places even the Park Rangers had never been. It was fascinating to see scenic views few others had seen since the old mining days long ago. Some of the trails were overgrown and even goats would have a difficult time traversing them....some were only a few feet wide as the wound up and around the mountains and a fall would be over a thousand feet......we were very cautious!
Wonderful place, you do need to visit!

Regards!

02-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #857
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Original Poster
Nice goat shot Mr Bassie! Well, maybe I did overstate the trail difficulty a little...but goats have an advantage we didn't...if the trail is overgrown, they just eat their way through it, and we couldn't.

Regards!
02-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #858
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,744
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Stan, you would do fine with a 4WD truck on almost all the back roads that criss-cross the area. Some of the roads more or less end and become trails where the pack mules used to carry ore from the quicksilver mine to Marathon about 80 miles north. In '88 I bought two dirt bikes, a Suzuki 370 and a 100 for my son and we went on every back country trail in Big Bend that Spring. Places even the Park Rangers had never been. It was fascinating to see scenic views few others had seen since the old mining days long ago. Some of the trails were overgrown and even goats would have a difficult time traversing them....some were only a few feet wide as the wound up and around the mountains and a fall would be over a thousand feet......we were very cautious!
Wonderful place, you do need to visit!

Regards!
That sounds so good! Around here 85% of the land is owned by the State Forest (DCNR). They have nice gravel roads that run through, but only through certain areas. You might be able to see 0.001% of the area from those roads. No vehicles (including ATV's) at all allowed anywhere else. This is great for hiking but that is out of the question for me now.

I've read of other places out west where you can drive the back trails like you can in Big Bend - that all would be like a dream come true for me.
02-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #859
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Original Poster
Stan...Check this out, it's just right down the road from Big Bend Nat Park and it is fabulous and wild from what I hear. I haven't checked it out yet, but may in April. It is a huge place and mostly undeveloped but free to roam.

Big Bend Ranch State Park ? Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

If you were in the area, it would be worth a visit. This entire area of Texas is sparsely populated and rugged. The road from Big Bend to Presidio is listed as one of the most scenic drives in America, you would want to drive it...spectacular views!

Regards!

02-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #860
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,744
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Stan...Check this out, it's just right down the road from Big Bend Nat Park and it is fabulous and wild from what I hear. I haven't checked it out yet, but may in April. It is a huge place and mostly undeveloped but free to roam.

Big Bend Ranch State Park ? Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

If you were in the area, it would be worth a visit. This entire area of Texas is sparsely populated and rugged. The road from Big Bend to Presidio is listed as one of the most scenic drives in America, you would want to drive it...spectacular views!

Regards!
Thanks. I've added that to my bookmark list. I'm kind of "arm chair" travelling right now but keeping a list of must see places. i also found out I qualify for a permanent free pass (disabled) to all National Parks in the country.
02-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #861
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks. I've added that to my bookmark list. I'm kind of "arm chair" travelling right now but keeping a list of must see places. i also found out I qualify for a permanent free pass (disabled) to all National Parks in the country.
Stan....We're going on the 12th of April for about a week.....it probably won't fit your plans, but just in case, it would be great if you all could make it out to Big Bend at that time. I know all the places "not to miss" and the best, cheapest places to eat/stay in the area. My youngest son and his wife are meeting up with us there too, we could all have a wonderful time!
You probably don't want to leave all the ice and snow for the gorgeous blue skies and very warm days in mid-April at Big Bend.....as well as all the blooming cactus plants and the fantastic scenery...but think about it an maybe you can force yourself away from the dreariness of winter for a few days? Seriously...consider it, it would be a great time for all of us!

This was taken on May 1st 2007....the Chisos mountains in the background are where the "Basin" is located...at the very top of the mountains in a sort of bowl or....basin. The road up there is about 7 miles long and at the top it is surrounded by dense growth of various types of pine trees. There is a lodge, motel, restaurant and gorgeous views as well as trails and campgrounds. It is usually 20-30 degrees cooler up there than on the desert floor, and is a refreshing relief on a hot day. You'd love it! I do!

Regards!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
02-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #862
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,744
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Stan....We're going on the 12th of April for about a week.....it probably won't fit your plans, but just in case, it would be great if you all could make it out to Big Bend at that time. I know all the places "not to miss" and the best, cheapest places to eat/stay in the area. My youngest son and his wife are meeting up with us there too, we could all have a wonderful time!
You probably don't want to leave all the ice and snow for the gorgeous blue skies and very warm days in mid-April at Big Bend.....as well as all the blooming cactus plants and the fantastic scenery...but think about it an maybe you can force yourself away from the dreariness of winter for a few days? Seriously...consider it, it would be a great time for all of us!
I really appreciate the invitation! What a great time we could have 4-wheeling those back trails and to have a guide also. But this year it won't happen for us - possibly in a year or two.

We have our big baby at home - Bentley our English Mastiff - who has never been off the property or in a vehicle except for coming home as a pup and one trip to be neutered. He's getting pretty old and has major anxiety attacks when Mrs. Stormtech just leaves to do the grocery run.

Also as it is right now with the RA, I am only good for driving for about 150 miles at most at a time - it would take us forever to get to Texas at that rate! I'm hoping that my condition might improve some in the future so I am kind of planning a road trip way in advance considering the 2 things that keep us at home right now.

This pic is from 2.5 years ago - his face is totally white (gray) now.



02-07-2015, 11:28 AM   #863
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Original Poster
I understand.......hope you get much better, I've had old doggies and understand that too! They are family!
Regards!
02-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #864
Veteran Member
skankin_giant's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Deepest Darkest Cornwall
Posts: 513
Especially for Rupert! X30, Classic Chrome and Squirrels! Had a morning walk around Tehidy woods.


















Last edited by skankin_giant; 02-09-2015 at 12:07 PM.
02-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #865
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Original Poster
Thanks from me...and Otis! Those are better than any I have ever shot with the X10/X20.Love that Classic Chrome! Those are some healthy looking little critters! Must be plenty to eat around there?

Otis said he might visit your area if he can get a copy of the menu?

Regards!
02-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #866
Veteran Member
skankin_giant's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Deepest Darkest Cornwall
Posts: 513
Thanks, They weren't shy! They are obvious getting used to being fed by humans, a bit sad really.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by skankin_giant; 02-09-2015 at 12:15 PM.
02-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #867
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
They are obvious getting used to being fed by humans, a bit sad really.
....sad is when you feed them so much they explode and take out a dozen squirrels with them!


Regards!
02-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #868
Veteran Member
skankin_giant's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Deepest Darkest Cornwall
Posts: 513
Hmm that might have scared the wee ones..... I’ve seen Guls do it! Some of the other things around Tehidy.







And have a duck butt!



Cheers, Steve
02-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #869
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Original Poster
I truly am impressed with the quality of shots you are posting from the X30. Granted, most of the praise goes to you as a shooter, but the X30 is really helping you make a mark here. That is some fantastic tree carving....I bet squirrels didn't do that!

Regards!
02-10-2015, 07:11 AM   #870
Veteran Member
skankin_giant's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Deepest Darkest Cornwall
Posts: 513
Tell you what Rupert I have been really pleased with the X30, while I loved the X10 and it's EXR mode the jump in quality has been brilliant, though you wouldn't notice it if you were to change from the X20, possible the X30 is the camera the X20 should have been?

Cheers, Steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adjustments, camera, cameras, canon, cat, cats, chdk, couple, day, flickr, food, fun, hipstamatic, lenses, love, people, photo, pm, pocket, polaroid, post, raccoons, results, riverside, sensor, shooter, shots, sony, toy, toy camera
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
confessions of a lens adict dmb video Pentax Film SLR Discussion 17 01-29-2013 01:59 PM
Black & White Confessions of a Lazy Man Sailor Post Your Photos! 10 10-01-2012 07:57 AM
confessions of a kit-zoom swapper jimr-pdx Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 07-02-2011 07:41 AM
People Confessions of a Cropper Rupert Photo Critique 15 01-29-2011 12:41 PM
Not much of a Pentax camera shooter... alipstadt Welcomes and Introductions 2 09-16-2010 09:57 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:53 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top