Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2014, 08:24 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very nice shot. In my case, it was the really good results I was getting from my cheap P&S that got me to abandon film and buy a DSLR. I probably would have eventually since film is now pretty much done although there will always be a niche market. It was pretty much these little P&S cameras that killed the film business and they still do a great job.

05-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #92
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
paulh.....Well? Did the doggie ever cross the creek?

Here is a shot from yesterday using the Digital Zoom setting on the X20...pushing it to 224mm. Handy when you are facing a ferocious squirrel while he is eating!

Unlike me....squirrels do not like Toy Cameras. They like a big heavy DSLR with a huge lens mounted up front. It makes them feel important, and a Toy Camera is beneath their dignity. Squirrels are a lot like some shooters I know!

Regards!
05-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
paulh.....Well? Did the doggie ever cross the creek?
Yeah, we found a narrow section further upstream. But the water was slow & shallow enough to cross just about anywhere. Otis would not like my unimpressive little Canon - I can almost hide it in my hand!

05-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good, I can stop worrying about if he got across!
Otis hates Toy Cameras, they are beneath his dignity...he says. He wants a big heavy camera with a huge long lens to shoot his handsome features!

Regards!

05-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #95
Pentaxian

I decided to have some fun today and do another comparison but instesd of comparing my "Toy Lumix" to an iPhone, today I matched it to my K5 with the new Sigma 17-70 Contemporary. I was also back in the same park where I took the shots a couple of weeks ago. Same fence but a slightly different view.

First shot, the K5. It looks pretty good. A few reviews say this Sigma is soft in the corners at 17mm but it's certainly acceptable to me and I'm comparing it here to a P&S.

Next is the Panasonic LF1

The first thing you notice is the slight difference in exposure. The Panasonic tends to overexpose and even when shot with some minus EV, it is still a little brighter. There is also a difference in the auto white balance. I think the little toy camera held it's own here as any differences can be made up in PP. There is plenty of dynamic range with both in a shot like this. It was a rather gray day with bright overcast, not the best light to deal with. Bottom line....the little toy camera proved it self. The weather was going downhill and I was on the bike so I didn't hang around long enough to do the shot with the DA 15 and DA 40.
05-04-2014, 01:24 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The sky is better in the K5 shot, but the Toy shot could be processed to match it pretty close. For practical use, the only major difference is in the price of the two set ups.
Toy Cameras have come a long way! While there are times a DSLR is necessary to achieve our goals, for me 90% of the time they are not necessary.

In these two shots...if you let "Old Granny" pick her favorite of the two, the odds are as good for the Toy Camera shot as the K5 shot. So...would a couple of thousand $$ difference in cost be a worthwhile investment...in Old Granny's eyes? I doubt it! Old Grannies are smarter than a lot of shooters!

Regards!
05-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, here's a Montreal photo in very low light with mixed sources. Fuji X10, pocket camera.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
05-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jac...Was that with the Pro Low Light setting? I find the Pro Low Light setting to be amazing! Nothing else quite like it, in-camera. Four shots, combined to eliminate noise and shake, and processed in-camera in a second! Amazing!

Nice shooting!....... and a testament to the ability of the X10/X20 in low light!

Toy Cameras! Conquering the world of photography one shooter at a time....the next "Little Thing" in photography!

Regards!
05-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, Pro Low Light setting--di di di dit. It is great, and the resolution of various light sources is always spot on. Every other camera I have struggles with that, choosing one source or another. Meanwhile I use them all--but this camera goes on vacation, and is used most of the time. If I need something else, I take it along.
05-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #100
Pentaxian

The biggest difference is what the 2 cameras chose using the auto white balance. The K5 is 5800. The LF 1 is a much cooler 4900. That's a major difference.

Jacquot, that's a very good shot with such low light. Mixed light sources always cause issues. Candles in clear glass enclosures, candles in green glass enclosures, a candle in a red glass enclosure, and a blue stained glass window and the painting looks very good.
05-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's another... I like it better in B&W, which I've posted... I'm not a great photographer by any means, but this is useful... I wish the guy with the cap on the right were not there, it would be a stronger image. It was the light and the connection between server and served that I wanted to catch. I like to think they could be married by now. I always think of photo captures as something I might paint, and change, later.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
05-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like it Jac....I hear what you say about wondering about scenes you capture, and what transpires later.

Clone out the guy with the cap...it will take a little while, but can be done well.

Toy Cameras! Wonderful! Imagine trying to get that shot with a big heavy DSLR, where everyone would be looking straight at you. As it was, they didn't even notice you were there! The girl in the foreground is facing right at you, yet doesn't even notice you or your Toy Camera! She sure as hell would notice a big heavy D800, bank on it!

Regards!
05-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A candid quick shot of the Cable Lady today. I bring her lots of chocolates...and when I have a problem with my cable, I have her private cell number......no waiting through long automated phone junk to get to a real person ...fast! Service? I get the best! It's all in how you play your cards!

X20...A fun Toy Camera!

Regards!

You guys post your Toy Camera shots! We need more of them!
05-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another one with the Canon p&s, taken in early March at the dogpark pond...
05-06-2014, 07:07 AM   #105
Pentaxian

This weekend, I finally used my LF1 for the purpose I bought it and that's to have a camera handy and in my pocket on motorcycle rides with friends.