Original Poster
Raccoon anyone? Free shipping!

Regards!

09-10-2015, 09:52 AM   #1187
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Took a little two day trip up into the panhandle of Texas to see Palo Duro Canyon. The Panhandle around Lubbock and Amarillo is as flat as a table for hundreds of miles in any direction, and Palo Duro Canyon is the only place there that is not...sort of like the Grand Canyon on a much smaller scale.

Fuji X10
The flatness of the Panhandle area......hundreds of windmills up there too...and lots of cotton fields!

A few Canyon shots...X10

Long boring trip of about 7 hours one way and nothing but flat ugly land until you get to the Canyon.....

I took the K5IIs and Bigma and only shot a couple of shots with it.....

K5IIs +Bigma

They are not appreciably better than the two X10 Toy Camera same shots above to my eyes? The thing about a Toy Camera is how handy it is! Not big and bulky, you can drive along and shoot out the windows or even through the windows and not have to deal with a big bukly camera and lens. If you are just taking "memory shots" a Toy Camera is the way to go! In particular if it has a viewfinder like the Fuji X cameras that let you frame your shots in the brightest of light, where a LCD is worthless.

Regards!
09-12-2015, 07:25 AM   #1188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots Rupert - looks like a great place to visit! We've made the long boring drive to Amarillo quite a few times, but never had the chance to visit the canyon.

I was able to sneak up on this large butterfly yesterday morning with my Canon SD1100 (crop)
09-12-2015, 07:36 AM   #1189
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Beautiful butterfly Paul! I've seen those around here a few times....very few. They are gorgeous......you did good to capture it, they are pretty hard to get close enough for a shot.

Yes, the drive to Amarillo is long and ugly. However, the Canyon is beautiful and about the only thing in the area that is. If you go that way again, it is just 15 minutes off I-27 on your right at Canyon Tx Hwy 217....well worth the short drive to see it. The roads in the Canyon are all paved and easy to drive, even in my little TT they were no problem. You can drive through the bottom of the Canyon in about an hour or less and the views are wonderful.

Regards!

09-14-2015, 06:43 AM   #1190
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone need a good raccoon? Last week for free shipping!

Regards!
09-14-2015, 04:13 PM   #1191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Anyone need a good raccoon? Last week for free shipping!

Regards!
I would, but I have to watch out on that oversized shipping charge!
09-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #1192
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I would, but I have to watch out on that oversized shipping charge!

Free Shipping! You just pay the Otis export tax!

Clarkey, do you guys have raccoons up there? They are plentiful down here, but it is a different climate where you are located. As crafty as they are, I think they could live anywhere they wanted?

Used the Pentax 540 on the X10 tonight for a few shots. The neat thing about it is you can sync at any speed or aperture you desire to help control exposure and eliminate shake. You can also get that low ISO this way.

These are both at 1/640 ISO 100 f3.6

Not too bad for a very dark night and still getting decent focus.

Regards!

09-15-2015, 04:21 AM   #1193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Free Shipping! You just pay the Otis export tax!

Clarkey, do you guys have raccoons up there? They are plentiful down here, but it is a different climate where you are located. As crafty as they are, I think they could live anywhere they wanted?

Used the Pentax 540 on the X10 tonight for a few shots. The neat thing about it is you can sync at any speed or aperture you desire to help control exposure and eliminate shake. You can also get that low ISO this way.

These are both at 1/640 ISO 100 f3.6

Not too bad for a very dark night and still getting decent focus.

Regards!
Those are some good results. The 540 unit is well bigger than the camera!

Yes, we do have raccoons - between the squirrels that are chewing my deck, and the careful closing of the organic recycling bin needed to defeat little hands (not to mention the occasional hosing of the deck required for raccoon reminders), we are definitely familiar. I could go on about a family of them in my roof once, probably it's easier just to say keep them out of the roof space....

Still, it's all relative. We don't have either Raccoons or Squirrels in NZ, instead we have brush tailed possums there (introduced pests from our Australian friends), and I can't provide any photos of those as I wasn't shooting with a camera...
09-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #1194
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I could go on about a family of them in my roof once, probably it's easier just to say keep them out of the roof space....
Yes, I understand that very well! One of my neighbors had a family of raccoons move into his attic and he failed to rectify the problem too long. They went on a short vacation and when they got home the raccoons had torn through the ceiling and mostly destroyed the inside of his home. They had eaten everything in the cupboards and even opened the refrigerator and cleaned it out. It was a horrific mess throughout the house.

You have to make certain they can't get in the house....or they will for sure. They know you have food in there, and will not pass any opportunity to get at it.

They are fun to watch, but can be a real headache if they get out of control.
Regards!
09-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #1195
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This little cutie thought he was hidden from me up in the total darkness...but the X10 found him anyhow!

Looks like a little bear!

Where are you guys? Surely you haven't ditched your Toy Cameras to buy that big old bulky Pentax FF coming soon, I hope?

Regards!
09-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #1196
Veteran Member

Awww Rupert, never! Just havent been out shooting much lately, though I did get down to visit the local ducks a week or so ago, and my photos from that day were just awful. Must have been a mood thing. I'm mizzling between a Fuji X30, and a Panny LX100. The LX is the smaller of the two, and the X30 isnt a lot smaller than my X100, so I'm kinda stuck. Any words of advice?

That X10 does you proud. Did you ever have those sensor issues that seemed to be a big thing when it was first released?
09-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #1197
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
That X10 does you proud. Did you ever have those sensor issues that seemed to be a big thing when it was first released?
I've pretty much gone back to using my X10 over my X20. Some here have posted wonderful shots with the X30 and praise it. Though the IQ is supposedly better on the X20 and X30, I love the EXR sensor on the X10. You can set it on EXR and shoot away without much complaint on what you get.

Get out and shoot something! We need to keep our Toy Cameras satisfied with our performance too! Post it here, we need all the help we can get!

Best Regards!
Forgot.....No, I never had any issues with the X10 sensor. The problem can arise of the "blobs" if you work at producing it, but I never tried to force it and in normal shooting it is never a problem I see.
09-20-2015, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #1198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I recently tried everything in this size range as a toy camera - X30, LX100, G7X, RX100, S120, G16 (nearly), Oly Stylus 1, Nikon S1 (nearly) and ended up walking out of the shop with a Panasonic GM1. I feel that after trying a Panny LF1 and finding it just too small, that I wanted something with good picture and video quality, at a midpoint price, that I could hold and jam in a pocket (and let's face it, that's a coat pocket in Canada for 6-7 months of the year). I lost a hot shoe, but gained the ability to change lenses...

Stuff from today:

Halo
by Aaron, on Flickr

Just changing
by Aaron, on Flickr

Untitled
by Aaron, on Flickr
09-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #1199
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does the GR count??? Smallest camera I own, and it works kind of like a toy! Still love my X10 though... Different venues.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GR  Photo 
09-20-2015, 05:41 PM   #1200
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We are kind of straying from the Toy Camera format, but I do recall that the FF squealers say that anything less than a FF is just a toy, so maybe not?

Nice shots Clarkey......you too Jac! Keep posting!

Regards!