Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2015, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #1231
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
Looks great, Rupert!
Thanks Tina! Lots of work left to do in there, but I have nothing much but time! If I had more energy, it would help a lot!

Regards!

11-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #1232
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple recent ones with my Canon SD1100 IS, which has been acting up lately. I fear the end is near! Maybe time for toy camera upgrade?

11-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #1233
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What counts as "toy"?
11-12-2015, 07:32 AM   #1234
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
What counts as "toy"?
Somewhere in this thread, I think we have discussed this....but I don't want to look for it...and don't want you to have to either.

From what we read here at PForums, from those demanding a FF Pentax, any camera less than FF is just a damn toy.

We don't exactly see it that way here, and mostly call any small camera that will fit in a shirt or jacket pocket and has a fixed lens a "Toy Camera". There could be others...like the Q or some other very small cameras with interchangeable lens...we are not all that picky here.

A Toy Camera is one that is not "intimidating", can be carried most anywhere anytime and will provide fun and produce some nice memories without being a burden to carry or use.

Toy Camera Fuji X10

For example......You are sitting in a Doctor's office waiting...boring...so you snap a few shots with your Toy Camera just for practice!

Then you get in the exam room to wait some more....more boring!

Finally, the Doc arrives with a big smile and is willing to pose for your Toy Camera......try to imagine holding a big FF camera at this point.....I doubt you would get that big smile? Toy Cameras don't intimidate!

Anyhow, hope that answered your question!

Regards!
Rupert

11-12-2015, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #1235
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
A couple recent ones with my Canon SD1100 IS, which has been acting up lately. I fear the end is near! Maybe time for toy camera upgrade?

Definitely time for an upgrade, Paul. I'm also considering one X30 for me though, I think I would like its heft.

---------- Post added 11-13-15 at 02:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Somewhere in this thread, I think we have discussed this....but I don't want to look for it...and don't want you to have to either.

From what we read here at PForums, from those demanding a FF Pentax, any camera less than FF is just a damn toy.

We don't exactly see it that way here, and mostly call any small camera that will fit in a shirt or jacket pocket and has a fixed lens a "Toy Camera". There could be others...like the Q or some other very small cameras with interchangeable lens...we are not all that picky here.

A Toy Camera is one that is not "intimidating", can be carried most anywhere anytime and will provide fun and produce some nice memories without being a burden to carry or use.

Toy Camera Fuji X10

For example......You are sitting in a Doctor's office waiting...boring...so you snap a few shots with your Toy Camera just for practice!

Then you get in the exam room to wait some more....more boring!

Finally, the Doc arrives with a big smile and is willing to pose for your Toy Camera......try to imagine holding a big FF camera at this point.....I doubt you would get that big smile? Toy Cameras don't intimidate!

Anyhow, hope that answered your question!

Regards!
Rupert
I am coming to a new appreciation of the toy camera genre... to the point where I am considering a Q7 or QS1 (not the latter, if I can avoid it)

---------- Post added 11-13-15 at 02:35 AM ----------

And, finally something I can tolerate being on this thread. Nikon P610 (loving the superzooms again)

Last edited by kyteflyer; 11-12-2015 at 07:36 PM.
11-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #1236
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Definitely time for an upgrade, Paul. I'm also considering one X30 for me though, I think I would like its heft.
I see some nice work from the X30.....I have the X20/X10 and prefer the X10 with the EXR sensor.......you might consider it, there are some good bargains on the X10 at Amazon.

And, finally something I can tolerate being on this thread. Nikon P610 (loving the superzooms again)
That's a nice shot!

The thing that hooks you on the X cameras is the solid body build, no plastic feeling, just solid and rugged build.

Regards!
11-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #1237
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I see some nice work from the X30.....I have the X20/X10 and prefer the X10 with the EXR sensor.......you might consider it, there are some good bargains on the X10 at Amazon.
Thanks for the headsup, Rupert. If I could have the X10 with the EVF of the 30, I think I'd be set. I'll take a look, it might tempt me, but given the current exchange rate... maybe not

That's a nice shot!
thanks!!

The thing that hooks you on the X cameras is the solid body build, no plastic feeling, just solid and rugged build.
I'ver always been a Fuji fan. I've had as many Fujis as I have Pentaxes I still love my X100 but it has not had much use in recent months. An X-10/20/30 would be just the ticket. I'm not that fond of the x-trans sensor, letss see how it goes

11-14-2015, 04:57 PM   #1238
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'ver always been a Fuji fan. I've had as many Fujis as I have Pentaxes I still love my X100 but it has not had much use in recent months. An X-10/20/30 would be just the ticket. I'm not that fond of the x-trans sensor, letss see how it goes
I like Fuji, they are very innovative. I do see some nice work with the X30, and that Fujichrome ...or whatever they call it..I forget.....is very interesting and produces some nice results.
Still.....the EXR sensor hits my hot button better than my X20. I also prefer the bodies of the X10/X20, but the X30 is not bad.

The viewfinder on the X10/X20 is wonderful for my area where we have a lot of bright sun. You can always compose without worry.
Regards!
11-15-2015, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #1239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots guys. I'm seriously looking into getting a Fuji X10 one of these days. I had a chance to see one in person when we visited Rupert's nice little town recently. Nothing cheap or plasticky about it, and the IQ looks really good for a p&s!
Here's an iPhone shot from that day (xposted):
11-15-2015, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #1240
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My complaint about EXR sensors - I had the Fuji HS50EXR and the X-S1 - is that you cede control of too much when shooting in the "dynamic range" mode. Too bad, because I was really impressed with the color it produced.

11-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #1241
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
is that you cede control of too much when shooting in the "dynamic range" mode
Could you elaborate a bit on this? Thanks.
11-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #1242
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Could you elaborate a bit on this? Thanks.
As I recall, using the EXR "dynamic range mode" did not allow me to set my own shutter speed... a bummer when shooting wildlife. I think there mayb have been another issue or two also, but I can't remember. But the shutter speed issue was the biggie for me...
11-15-2015, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #1243
Pentaxian

Lomo LCA 120

Here is one from the Lomography LCA 120:

The lines are from my scanner. Not sure what is going on there.

There is a sale $499 on the Fuji X30.
11-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #1244
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
[/COLOR]

I am coming to a new appreciation of the toy camera genre... to the point where I am considering a Q7 or QS1 (not the latter, if I can avoid it)[COLOR="Silver"]
I keep looking at it the Q and it's relatives.... just waiting for one to come up at the right price! (as cheap as possible)
Though I can get the QS1 of 0%.....

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by skankin_giant; 11-15-2015 at 01:06 PM.
11-18-2015, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #1245
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
My complaint about EXR sensors - I had the Fuji HS50EXR and the X-S1 - is that you cede control of too much when shooting in the "dynamic range" mode. Too bad, because I was really impressed with the color it produced.
That's a fine squirrel shot! The X10 EXR sensor does have its quirks in limitations, but overall, the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. The Fuji cameras have a maze of menu options with limitations that might take years to learn. There are several EXR Forums online that reveal how to get the best out of the EXR sensor in varying situations. For most shooting, just park it in EXR Auto, pick it up and shoot to get those nice Fuji colors!

Just picked it up, turned it on and shot my desk.....which is cleaner than usual!
Name:  DSCF9495-700EXR.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  398.5 KB

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Here is one from the Lomography LCA 120:
Looks good to me Mr Bassie! That your son?

I need to be using my Toy Cameras more......I'm gonna work on it!

Regards!