Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2108 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #151
Veteran Member

2 more with my not so toy X10... Our 1st home grown strawberry!

Do like the Super Macro function.

06-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'm still shootin' my outdoor cookin' with the toy XF1.Breakfast egg sammie with homemade venison sausage, wild morel mushrooms, and pepper jack cheese.
Oh gad, that looks SO yummy. I'm envious. I haven't had venison sausage in a long, long time, and I really like it.

I'm actually down to just using my "toy" cam for now. My K-x is officially dead as if last week. Yup, I killed it. :P It's a bookend now up on the shelf with my old *ist DL. Work has been killer slow and with my Dad being sick I've not had time to work much anyhow so I'm not exactly rushing to buy. It can wait till Fall, shrug. I've got the room on my credit card now though for a new DSLR body for $600 or under. I could grab a quick K-30/K-50 body but I am holding out for the K5II and the 18-135 WR, I think. End of Summer I'll have the rest of my card paid off. More $$$ to play with and I will likely grab that kit then. I've been monitoring it closely. That kit has been running like $950 or so now new. So it will be firmly in the budget come Sept.

Don't laugh but I actually did a quick head shot shoot with my niece's *ist and my little Oly and believe it or not it went just fine. My little Oly is almost as good as a DSLR. It really is. I'm glad I've got it. Having it really saved my arse when that job came up. I hardly used the *ist actually. I took it out more for show than not. I don't know that I'd attempt a really big shoot with it, but it's nearly as good as my K-x was. I was very tempted for a sec there just to get a used EPL-3 body and call it a day for a while but people usually do expect a "proper" DSLR when they hire you so I didn't. I think I am becoming a major Oly Pen fan though. I still want another Pentax DSLR but I must admit I like my M43 cam a lot now that I have a couple of good digital lenses, a VF and all...

Last edited by magkelly; 06-20-2014 at 10:19 PM.
06-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #153
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Mr Bassie...Another good example where any camera is better than no camera!

Skank.....I gotta love those shots! The X10 is a real jewel, and you make it shine very nicely!

X20
Mrs Rupert and our oldest grandson. He is the apple of her eye, and they are always all smiles when together....this was at his birthday dinner Wed night.

Not hard to see why he is smiling and why he loves his granny!

Regards!
06-20-2014, 10:20 PM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Mr Bassie...Another good example where any camera is better than no camera!

Skank.....I gotta love those shots! The X10 is a real jewel, and you make it shine very nicely!

X20
Mrs Rupert and our oldest grandson. He is the apple of her eye, and they are always all smiles when together....this was at his birthday dinner Wed night.

Not hard to see why he is smiling and why he loves his granny!

Regards!
He looks a lot like his granny.

06-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #155
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
He looks a lot like his granny.
Yes, he does Mag, very much so. Same eyes, eyebrows, and hair...same skin color and mouth. He's just thankful he didn't take after old Rupert! Me too, I wouldn't wish that on anyone!

At his high school graduation a few years ago......

Regards!
06-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #156
Pentaxian

I've spent the past few days in the Laconia, NH area taking in all the fun and refusing to get old. Here's the scene as I rolled in to Weirs Beach on Thursday from the LF1 which was handy in my jacket pocket.

Last edited by reeftool; 12-29-2016 at 04:45 PM.
06-23-2014, 06:10 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Just found this thread and really enjoyed looking through the whole thing this morning with my coffee!

I would like some advise here - don't mean to take this too far off subject but I guess what I need is some advise as I need a toy camera!

Because of finally getting the expensive RA medication 4 months ago, I am actually able to get out and around some and take some walks in the woods like I used to. But hauling my K-5IIs with a DA* lens around is still a bit too much. Also I've been into some projects in the barn recently and like to document what I am doing with pics - using a $2k camera/lens while working on a tractor or such just doesn't make sense.

I would automatically just go for a used Fuji X10 since I used to have one and really enjoyed it. But because of all that has happened the last 2 years, I just can't afford even a used one. Also I feel a viewfinder is pretty important, but most of the P&S's I look at with a viewfinder go above my max $150 budget.

So with that, I started looking at Panasonic P&S since I used to have one years ago which worked well enough. There are so many choices out there I get my head to spinning! I think I may have come to somewhat of a conclusion when I found a refurbished Panasonic ZS-25 for $99 shipped with 60 day warranty from Adorama.

Specs:

No viewfinder - I can live with that I think
16.1MP - plenty enough - could live with less
24-480 eq zoom - now this really interests me as I do a lot of longer range shooting. Also like the wide end of 24mm. I also looked at a used LX5 which gets some great reviews but only has 24-90mm which I think I would find very restrictive.

Yeah, the lens is kind of slow, and from what I've read anything ISO800 or above is pretty bad with these cameras. But with my budget concerns, I think I would be happy enough for $99.

Any other suggestions before I pull the trigger on this one?

06-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #158
Pentaxian

Personally, I need a viewfinder but the Panasonics are a pretty good line of cameras. My daughter's rowing coach in college used one with a long zoom and his shots were really stunning. He would get close ups of the rowers hands to check their hand position and grip. I'm not sure which model it was but this was also back in 2008-09.
06-24-2014, 04:31 AM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Just found this thread and really enjoyed looking through the whole thing this morning with my coffee!

I would like some advise here - don't mean to take this too far off subject but I guess what I need is some advise as I need a toy camera!

Because of finally getting the expensive RA medication 4 months ago, I am actually able to get out and around some and take some walks in the woods like I used to. But hauling my K-5IIs with a DA* lens around is still a bit too much. Also I've been into some projects in the barn recently and like to document what I am doing with pics - using a $2k camera/lens while working on a tractor or such just doesn't make sense.

I would automatically just go for a used Fuji X10 since I used to have one and really enjoyed it. But because of all that has happened the last 2 years, I just can't afford even a used one. Also I feel a viewfinder is pretty important, but most of the P&S's I look at with a viewfinder go above my max $150 budget.

So with that, I started looking at Panasonic P&S since I used to have one years ago which worked well enough. There are so many choices out there I get my head to spinning! I think I may have come to somewhat of a conclusion when I found a refurbished Panasonic ZS-25 for $99 shipped with 60 day warranty from Adorama.

Specs:

No viewfinder - I can live with that I think
16.1MP - plenty enough - could live with less
24-480 eq zoom - now this really interests me as I do a lot of longer range shooting. Also like the wide end of 24mm. I also looked at a used LX5 which gets some great reviews but only has 24-90mm which I think I would find very restrictive.

Yeah, the lens is kind of slow, and from what I've read anything ISO800 or above is pretty bad with these cameras. But with my budget concerns, I think I would be happy enough for $99.

Any other suggestions before I pull the trigger on this one?
Seems like a pretty good deal. I have the Fuji F600EXR, which is older and has a shorter zoom, but is more than reasonable and has provided my contributed images to this thread. Might be out of your price range, but the Sony HX20 is also worth a look as a super zoom.
If you wanted something with better peak image quality, I'd definitely take a look at the Olympus XZ-1, which is available for not much these days.

Cheers.
06-24-2014, 05:49 AM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Seems like a pretty good deal. I have the Fuji F600EXR, which is older and has a shorter zoom, but is more than reasonable and has provided my contributed images to this thread. Might be out of your price range, but the Sony HX20 is also worth a look as a super zoom.
If you wanted something with better peak image quality, I'd definitely take a look at the Olympus XZ-1, which is available for not much these days.

Cheers.
I was quickly overwhelmed with all the choices in P&S cameras out there. Between the 5 major companies there must be more than 50 choices. Having to work within a budget I was trying to get the most bang for my buck. A viewfinder is also important to me, but anything worth while went over my budget even used.

I ended up buying a used Panasonic LX5 for a good price. I would have normally gone for the longer zoom of the one I listed above, but know with any of this stuff a super zoom is usually a compromise especially in a small sensor camera. Plus if I am going to do any serious shooting, I have my DA* 300 and DA* 60-250.

I'm pretty excited to try the LX5. This is the first time I've treated myself to a new piece of gear in almost 2 years since I had to stop working. I am considering it a challenge to see how good an image I can squeeze out of it and looking forward to posting in this thread.
06-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #161
Veteran Member

Rupert Really love the X20 shots, I was tempted to spend the extra on the X20 when I got the X10 but SWMBO was hanging over my shoulder..... would like to do some more posed shots rather then trying to get the kids when they are spinning about at 100 miles a hour!

One more from my not so “toy” toy X10 , trying to take some Macro of a rose reaching the end of it’s life! I may be a bit more morbid then I though....

Cheers, Steve
06-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I was quickly overwhelmed with all the choices in P&S cameras out there. Between the 5 major companies there must be more than 50 choices. Having to work within a budget I was trying to get the most bang for my buck. A viewfinder is also important to me, but anything worth while went over my budget even used.

I ended up buying a used Panasonic LX5 for a good price. I would have normally gone for the longer zoom of the one I listed above, but know with any of this stuff a super zoom is usually a compromise especially in a small sensor camera. Plus if I am going to do any serious shooting, I have my DA* 300 and DA* 60-250.

I'm pretty excited to try the LX5. This is the first time I've treated myself to a new piece of gear in almost 2 years since I had to stop working. I am considering it a challenge to see how good an image I can squeeze out of it and looking forward to posting in this thread.
I know what you mean - there are now so many good choices out there.

The LX5 is also a bit special. A friend who was going down the commercial photography route eventually did not (as you observe, life can do that to you), and ended up spending more time cycling through the countryside. Her companion was/is an LX5 and she has some wonderful images to show for it. My brother also uses an LX3 (when he is not slinging his 1dx around for other work).

I'm confident you'll be able to get some great images!
06-25-2014, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #163
Pentaxian

A swallowtail butterfly recently in my backyard.
06-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NIce shots lately! I picked up a used Canon Powershot SD1100 IS recently - it's not the latest or greatest, but it's small (size of a deck of cards), has a viewfinder, and is decent in good light. Taken at a local park the other day, using "widescreen" mode:

Last edited by paulh; 06-25-2014 at 08:00 AM.
06-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #165
Veteran Member

Holga Time

Enough of these fancy digital cameras on this thread. Here are shots from my new Holga 120 GCFN, a cheap Chinese camera that shoots 120 roll film.

I took Holga to Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden:

I even experimented with some double exposures:

Including a selfie double exposure: