Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2108 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #616
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NKK Quote
Have been in Austin once and really liked it, would love to come back some time and see some more of Texas
Hope you do! There is plenty to see here, from the flat plains of the Panhandle, the deep pine forests of East Texas, the rolling hills of the Hill Country (near Austin), the beaches along the coast...to the deserts of far west Texas and Big Bend where those cows were shot.

You won't miss the pretty girls you guys have over there either....we've got plenty in Texas too!

X20

X10

X10

Texas is a fun place to visit and a great place to own a Toy Camera!

Regards!

11-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #617
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Lovely ladies there Rupert!
Mr Bassie, I do miss my little downtown studio at times, and all the lovely young ladies! I miss the kids too, they were so much fun to shoot and it was fun times when you could shoot all day and play with your gear, experiment and make all kinds of lighting changes.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35763648@N05/sets/72157631360478088/

I found that with my studio strobes and wireless set up, my X10/X20 could do some decent shots in the studio. I loved to use them both to play with...although my K5 saw most of the action.

X20

X20

X20

Sure would have like to had that Classic Chrome available!

Regards!
11-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #618
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice studio work Rupert!
Here's a couple p&s snaps taken while walking the dogs near Lake Grapevine.

11-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #619
NKK
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Hope you do! There is plenty to see here, from the flat plains of the Panhandle, the deep pine forests of East Texas, the rolling hills of the Hill Country (near Austin), the beaches along the coast...to the deserts of far west Texas and Big Bend where those cows were shot.

You won't miss the pretty girls you guys have over there either....we've got plenty in Texas too!

Texas is a fun place to visit and a great place to own a Toy Camera!

Regards!
Haha I missed this one - yes i can tell that there is no shortage on pretty girls there.

I am sure it's a great place to visit with loads of possibilities.
As mentioned i really liked Austin, the Whole atmosphere and oooh the barbeque!

11-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #620
Veteran Member

Went to see Finding Fela last night and there were a bunch of drummers playing in the theatre lobby. The only camera I had was my iPhone so I fired up the Hipstamatic app and took some pics.
11-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #621
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mr Bassie....once again proving it is not the camera but the person behind it that makes the difference. Great shot!

QuoteOriginally posted by NKK Quote
As mentioned i really liked Austin, the Whole atmosphere and oooh the barbeque!
Yes, Austin has great BBQ. Unfortunately Austin has grown so large that it is losing some of the atmosphere it is so well known for. I try to avoid it when traveling that direction because of the awesome bad traffic conditions. Fortunately, some of the smaller towns in the general area are still less of a problem with traffic and overcrowding.......and great BBQ too!

Texas Monthly magazine still lists this as one place every true Texan must visit.....Cooper's BBQ in Llano Texas...a small town, very scenic, and has perhaps the best BBQ in Texas.

No matter what time of day there is always a long line...but it moves fast!
X20

You are served your choice from an open pit...they have over a dozen cooking 24/7.

You get your meat on a tray and take it inside where you can get dessert or whatever else you want.

The cobblers are heavenly......pecan cobbler is impossible to describe.......far beyond fantastic!

Red beans and white bread are free....eat all you want!

You eat inside on picnic tables....some people may have eaten a little too much?

My favorite....a 2 inch thick pork chop.

Mrs Rupert looks pretty mean here....I had just asked her if I could have the rest of her pecan cobbler.

Inside and out....anytime of day...there is always a line at Coopers! ....and it is well worth the short wait!

This link has some shots of the area in the Hill Country near Llano...beautiful country!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35763648@N05/sets/72157644082545996/

Regards! Come back to Texas anytime......a meal at Coopers will be on me!

BTW- Toy Cameras are great for shots like these where you don't want a big bulky camera on the table getting in the way of your giant pork chops!
11-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #622
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When Thanksgiving is over.......

X20

Regards!

11-28-2014, 05:48 AM   #623
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mr Bassie....once again proving it is not the camera but the person behind it that makes the difference. Great shot!

Yes, Austin has great BBQ. Unfortunately Austin has grown so large that it is losing some of the atmosphere it is so well known for. I try to avoid it when traveling that direction because of the awesome bad traffic conditions. Fortunately, some of the smaller towns in the general area are still less of a problem with traffic and overcrowding.......and great BBQ too!

Texas Monthly magazine still lists this as one place every true Texan must visit.....Cooper's BBQ in Llano Texas...a small town, very scenic, and has perhaps the best BBQ in Texas.

No matter what time of day there is always a long line...but it moves fast!
X20

You are served your choice from an open pit...they have over a dozen cooking 24/7.

You get your meat on a tray and take it inside where you can get dessert or whatever else you want.

The cobblers are heavenly......pecan cobbler is impossible to describe.......far beyond fantastic!

Red beans and white bread are free....eat all you want!

You eat inside on picnic tables....some people may have eaten a little too much?

My favorite....a 2 inch thick pork chop.

Mrs Rupert looks pretty mean here....I had just asked her if I could have the rest of her pecan cobbler.

Inside and out....anytime of day...there is always a line at Coopers! ....and it is well worth the short wait!

This link has some shots of the area in the Hill Country near Llano...beautiful country!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35763648@N05/sets/72157644082545996/

Regards! Come back to Texas anytime......a meal at Coopers will be on me!

BTW- Toy Cameras are great for shots like these where you don't want a big bulky camera on the table getting in the way of your giant pork chops!
Nice set Rupert, and I bet that barbeque is fantastic. I can imagine the aromas in that line--I don't think anyone would leave for the wait! If I'm ever in Texas.... So I'm guessing the Missus kept the cobbler and the car.
11-28-2014, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #624
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
So I'm guessing the Missus kept the cobbler and the car.
Yep Jac.....She kept the cobbler and the car on that trip. Being a native Texan, I've eaten a lot of BBQ in Texas and most of it is delicious, but none has ever been as consistently fantastic as at Coopers BBQ in Llano Texas. They have hit the magic formula and never waver.

More photos from their site... https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrBT8JYmnhUDRgAleRXNyoA;...%27s+bbq+llano

You can order online, they ship nationwide. My recommendation is always the giant chops, but everything is delicious.

Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar?B?Que - It's All About The Meat!

A short (If old Rupert can do short?) story from Coopers in Llano. Not going political.....not doing it !...but although I was never a fan of George Bush or his daddy, I always agreed with both of them that Coopers in Llano had the best BBQ in Texas!
I was with Mrs Rupert at Coppers several years back when three men in black with dark shades cut in line just in front of me. Since it is not all that far from George's ranch in Crawford, I knew who they must be and struck up a conversation...or tried to...they weren't all that friendly. Anyhow, they bought a ton of BBQ and took it inside for wrapping and pricing. They were in front of me and as they checked out and passed by me to leave, I grabbed one by the coat sleeve and asked..."Didn't you forget the cobbler?"

He stepped aside and pulled out his phone and made a call. A minute later he was buying out the cobblers, leaving only a few. This time as he passed by he thanked me and with a big smile said "George thanks you too!"
Might be I saved that guys job that day?

If you ever make it down this way Jac, lunch at Coopers will be on me!

Regards!
11-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #625
Veteran Member

You can order online, they ship nationwide. My recommendation is always the giant chops, but everything is delicious.

Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar?B?Que - It's All About The Meat!
I've been trying to figure this BBQ stuff out. In a post of yours earlier this image stuck in my mind:

When I looked at it closer, I saw 2 price tags - one of which says $33.64. Is that the price for one portion? I find that absolutely insane! And what is the other price sticker of $4.60?

Then I was trying to figure out what kind of meat this BBQ you talk about is, but on the price sticker it says pork chops. So is BBQ just grilled pork chops.

And then I looked at your link for Cooper's - still trying to figure out what meat is used and I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on their site - just BBQ.
11-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #626
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
still trying to figure out what meat is used
Cooper's BBQ: Fort Worth, Texas | (817) 626-6464 Check out this menu Stan.
11-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #627
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Then I was trying to figure out what kind of meat this BBQ you talk about is, but on the price sticker it says pork chops. So is BBQ just grilled pork chops.
That's a good link Paul gave.....my order was for two huge pork chops.....like this....

Looks like the order was for about 2 1/2 pounds....not a bad price and after the first bite it seems cheap! You don't even need a knife to cut them!
They have everything from chicken to sausage, ribs and brisket. BBQ refers to the manner in which things are cooked....and there are many ways to BBQ. The wood choice..some like hickory..some mesquite..some maple...even peach wood, one of my favorites. Then there is the sauce used for basting, and that varies in a million ways. Sometimes a place will just get the right combination of all these things and be a gigantic hit......apparently Coopers has mastered it.

I have eaten at several Coopers locations, and find none comparable to the original in Llano Tx. Good, but not like in Llano.

The other price was for the potato salad and cobbler......also well worth the cost. That Pecan cobbler is something you never forget!

White bread and red beans are free...all you want.

The surrounding landscape and the atmosphere makes it an "eating experience" and the price is a bargain for what you get. People come from all over to eat at Coopers.....I once sat next to a tall Tex lawyer from Houston that had just flown in on his private plane for his twice yearly meal at Coopers. He was a big guy, fancy western suit and $5K boots with gold trimmed heels....he had a rack of ribs, a BBQ chicken, and two big chops.....he ate every last bite.We talked for a long time as we ate...then as he ate...and among other things he said he would never consider defending a client that didn't like Cooper's BBQ, no matter how much cash or influence they had!

Regards!
11-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #628
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I apologize for what must be a dumb question - why are these called toy cameras? The pictures shown here are excellent. I must have read too quickly.
11-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #629
Veteran Member

Thanks for the menu Paul - makes more sense now.

Yeah Rupert - I guess you got a lot of food for that money.

I just didn't know what to think with the term BBQ - I would have guesses ribs. Now I see there are both beef and pork ribs on the menu.
11-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #630
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I apologize for what must be a dumb question - why are these called toy cameras? The pictures shown here are excellent. I must have read too quickly.
Not dumb....we don't have dumb people here, maybe just information challenged?

Well, for some, many in fact, in particular those hollering for a FF Pentax camera, these little Point & Shoot cameras are not serious, just little toys. For them, even the K3, as excellent as it is falls far short for their amazing abilities...if only they had a FF Pentax. We don't actually see any of their highly superior work....owing to their not having a FF Pentax, of course, but we can imagine how fantastic it would be.

Meanwhile, we play with our Toy Cameras and get tons of images....some of them can even be called excellent.....but of course again.....only in the eyes of a Toy Camera shooter!

Best Regards!