Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #871
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I am pleased at your pleasure with the X30, we are fortunate to have you here posting. I am very curious as to what Fuji will do next....have they run out of ideas for a small camera or are they just beginning?

I love the OVF of my X20, would love to try the EVF on the X30 in bright light and see if it would work for me? Meanwhile.....Fuji should be bringing out something new soon...not that we really need anything new, you sure don't, you make the X30 shine like the sun!

So does Mr Bassie.....Where are you Mr Bassie?

Not forgetting other Toy Camera shooters either, they post some mighty fine work here too! This is not a Fuji thread, it is a Toy Camera thread! ALL Toy Cameras are wonderful!

Regards!

02-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #872
Veteran Member

It's worth a go Rupert, We don't really get bright sunlight over here, it's normally raining this time of year.... The EVF is very nice, not worked out how to put it in RAW mode yet!

Cheers, Steve
02-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #873
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent photos here since I last visited - keep em coming
These are some old shots from late 2009, taken with an even older (2006?) Lumix TZ1. San Antonio is a great place to visit during the holidays:

02-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #874
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some excellent shots Paul, and you are right about San Antone.......holidays or any other time, it is a great place to visit. Well......July and August can be a little warm for some? The Riverwalk is so neat....if you can't find some great food along the way there, you can't find it anywhere on earth!

San Antone is the perfect place for Toy Cameras......no bulky gear to interfere with your fun, and always ready to capture the moment!
Regards!

02-11-2015, 06:09 AM   #875
Veteran Member

While continuing the San Antonio theme (arm chair travelling again..) how far is it to the Mexican border from that area? I thought it would be neat to stand on the banks of the Rio Grande and look over toward Mexico. That would fulfill something for me after reading so many western novels all my life. Any state or national parks along the Rio Grande worth seeing?
02-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #876
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Stan, Laredo (old song...streets of Laredo..remember?) is a couple of hours south of San Antone. Probably fairly safe to cross over there during the daytime...if you are not afraid of a slight risk. Been there long ago, it was a nice town back then...not so sure today?

The Rio Grande forms the South border of Big Bend and here at Santa Elena Canyon you can walk into that gorge and step across the rocks into Mexico...if you so desire.

I consider Big Bend a safe place...safer than the streets of any big city for certain. The border is heavily patrolled, and the locals are all friendly on both sides of the border there. We took a little boat across the river and horses up a long hill to eat at a little Mexican town several years ago. Not sure I would do it today, but I might?

Regards!
02-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #877
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Stan, Laredo (old song...streets of Laredo..remember?) is a couple of hours south of San Antone. Probably fairly safe to cross over there during the daytime...if you are not afraid of a slight risk. Been there long ago, it was a nice town back then...not so sure today?

I consider Big Bend a safe place...safer than the streets of any big city for certain. The border is heavily patrolled, and the locals are all friendly on both sides of the border there. We took a little boat across the river and horses up a long hill to eat at a little Mexican town several years ago. Not sure I would do it today, but I might?
Thanks for the info Rupert. I'm not really interested in actually stepping foot in Mexico - just to stand on the banks of the Rio Grande and view it from our side. Good to know the Big Bend park goes right to the boarder.

02-11-2015, 07:26 PM   #878
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks for the info Rupert. I'm not really interested in actually stepping foot in Mexico - just to stand on the banks of the Rio Grande and view it from our side. Good to know the Big Bend park goes right to the boarder.
Stan I just picked up the current issue of Texas Highways and it has some great articles on Big Bend...and photos. I thought of you and bought it. It also has some info on Big Bend State Park too. After I read it all....you want it?

Regards!
02-12-2015, 02:29 AM   #879
Veteran Member

It also has some info on Big Bend State Park too

Regards!
Are you going to dig a GoPro out and have a go Rupert?

Cheers, Steve
02-12-2015, 03:31 AM - 2 Likes   #880
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

02-12-2015, 05:38 AM   #881
Veteran Member

Love them! Been meaning to get out this week but we have no sky, just a smear of grey!

Cheers, Steve
02-12-2015, 05:57 AM   #882
Veteran Member

Stan I just picked up the current issue of Texas Highways and it has some great articles on Big Bend...and photos. I thought of you and bought it. It also has some info on Big Bend State Park too. After I read it all....you want it?

Regards!
I'd love to read it if it isn't too expensive to send it to me.
02-12-2015, 07:23 AM   #883
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I'd love to read it if it isn't too expensive to send it to me.
PM me an address. Otis will send you a bill and you can use one of my credits to pay for it, the little rodent owes me a fortune!

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
Are you going to dig a GoPro out and have a go Rupert?
Hadn't thought of that...great idea...I'll explore it!

AldaCZ...As the originator of this thread and sort of the guy that prods it along occasionally, as well as advertise it on other Pentax Forums.......I also have a responsibility to keep this thread in line with general Pentax Forum guidelines. We don't want to ruffle feathers too much, cause confusion, and make enemies on other PForums if avoidable. With deep regret I find it necessary to chastise you for posting this shot by a Toy Camera....

I am sure it was not your intention to make those with their BIG DSLRS and FF cameras envious and question their own intelligence at spending a fortune on all that bulky equipment they carry around for bragging rights...but that is exactly what you did. When you can get a shot like that with a Toy Camera, what sane person would spend hours posting about the need for a Big FF camera?

As I noted, I don't think it was your intent to harass them, and I'm hoping we don't get too many complaints from those rabid FF fans....so I will overlook it this time. In the future, please post a disclaimer stating that the shot you are posting "might be from a Toy Camera" or "possibly a FF camera" ....you are not sure due to amnesia. This will cover the bases!

Best Regards!
02-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #884
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm sorry..but I had to it's still a toy camera . Rupert
02-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #885
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple more San Antonio shots with the Lumix TZ1:

Last edited by paulh; 02-14-2015 at 12:54 PM.