Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #1096
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
oh, a clean little guy eh, washing his hands. How cute
Actually he's washing his food. They do that for some reason...

06-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #1097
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
oh, a clean little guy eh, washing his hands. How cute
Actually, if you got very close to a raccoon, you'd know they smell to high heaven! They "wash" their food because raccoons can't salivate and need moisture to help them in eating and digesting. I always keep plenty of water nearby!

Nice stuff Mr Bassie...give us more! I did love the doggie most of all!

Nothing special here....just a common squirrel shot with the X20 this morning.

Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 06-19-2015 at 07:00 PM.
06-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #1098
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nothing special here....just a common squirrel shot with the X20 this morning.
But a pretty decent one!

This one dates back to April, taken with a Canon SD1100 in macro mode. Today these firewheels are submerged under the flooded lake:
06-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #1099
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I'm eagerly awaiting some film back from getting developed. No idea what I will get. I think it is 2 holga 120 rolls, a roll from my latest pocket film camera, and a mystery (maybe sprocket rocket?) 35mm roll of portra.
We look forward to the results Mr Bassie...don't forget us here!

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
This one dates back to April, taken with a Canon SD1100 in macro mode.
Love it Paul! Aren't hose blooms fantastic!

Here is the Mama raccoon from last night...in near total darkness. She is so used to me she just comes running when I come outside with a few leftover scraps. Last night I had some leftover cod filets and she was in raccoon heaven!

X20

I need to set up my off camera flash units and wireless to get some really decent shots, but have been too lazy to do it. The very, very, high humidity after all our rain is making anything outside miserable work.

Regards!

06-20-2015, 11:29 PM   #1100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Actually he's washing his food. They do that for some reason...
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Actually, if you got very close to a raccoon, you'd know they smell to high heaven! They "wash" their food because raccoons can't salivate and need moisture to help them in eating and digesting. I always keep plenty of water nearby!
Wow. Now that's a raccoon fact I had no clue about! Thanks for elucidating
06-21-2015, 06:36 AM   #1101
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow. Now that's a raccoon fact I had no clue about! Thanks for elucidating
Yes, raccoons are fascinating animals in many ways. Sort of a cross between a dog and a fox. Their hands are as dexterous as ours, they can open doors or jars, hold very small objects and do most anything with them that we can. They are ordinarily very docile around humans and can be raised from birth to be as friendly as a good dog. However, like a good dog, they are fiercely protective of their young and will not hesitate to tackle any threat.

Last night I did get out my wireless set up and my Pentax 540 flash. I was doing good....got off only a couple of shots when my wireless batteries died...I haven't used it in two years...so I need to get fresh batteries for more shots.

Click on the photo and click again on Flickr to see the much better detail using a flash off camera.

Fuji X20 + Pentax 540 flash mounted off camera using wireless. The X20 will sync with the flash up to 1/4000, so it is easy to control exposure and freeze action.

Regards! Be nice to your Toy Camera! Use it!
06-25-2015, 10:12 PM   #1102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having pondered the purchase of an X20 more than twelve months ago, when their price was around $420AU, I placed an order today for an X30, with a price of only $499AU! Procrastination can sometimes be helpful.

Although I'd originally said that I'd prefer an OVF, I had a good look at the X30's EVF (and through it) and decided that I could live with it. If I can't, it'll probably find its way onto the Marketplace shortly thereafter. So, in around two weeks, I'll know, and I'll post some photos. In the meantime, I'll practice using a small camera again with the Q, which has been a bit neglected lately.

06-26-2015, 05:54 AM   #1103
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I'll know, and I'll post some photos.
We look forward to it! Don't forget us here!

A few from brush burning day yesterday.

X20
It was already almost 100F and this fire didn't help cool things off.

This lizard came down that tree to keep an eye on what I was doing.

He really blends in with the tree trunk!

Regards! Keep those Toy Camera shots coming in!
07-03-2015, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #1104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I discovered that there are three babies...maybe four? I missed some great shots tonight due to technical problems, and those damn mosquitoes. I must have over a dozen bites from a few minutes out there. Didn't even notice them until I came in and started itching and saw the whelps on my arms and hands.
This years models use the new Stealth Technology...you can't see or hear them buzzing until it is too late.

I missed some great shots of two of them together. Two of the babies were on each side of the tree like in this old K5 shot....one on each side....it would have been perfect!

Anyhow, all I ended up with worth posting was this one. Tomorrow night I'll have on some strong insect repellent!

Regards!
07-04-2015, 05:26 AM   #1105
Veteran Member

I'm glad I don't have any mosquiots around here - and I don't know why. I live along a river and there is a swampy area just upstream from the house. Maybe because we have so many bats?
07-04-2015, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #1106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great critter shots Rupert! Esp like the K5 'coon photo (even tho not a toy camera, we'll let it go this time)
Here's a batch of recent ones, taken with a Canon p&s or phonecam:

07-04-2015, 01:29 PM   #1107
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I'm glad I don't have any mosquiots around here - and I don't know why. I live along a river and there is a swampy area just upstream from the house. Maybe because we have so many bats?
Stan, I don't want you to feel left out, and would send you a huge batch of mosquitoes, I have billions here, but those new 2015 models can't be seen or heard, only felt a few minutes after the attack. You'll just have to get by without them for now. I would appreciate if you could send me a few dozen of those bats? Even Otis would welcome them!
Otis has a name for those flying nightmares, but I can't post it here.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Here's a batch of recent ones, taken with a Canon p&s or phonecam:
Still flooded Paul, isn't that amazing for July! That last flower bloom shot is excellent..they are beautiful too!

Can't decide yet for tonight...fireworks on the lake of baby raccoons? We'll see.....

Regards!
07-07-2015, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #1108
Veteran Member

Long time no see. A bit of urbex with a shoebox camera

07-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #1109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
Long time no see. A bit of urbex with a shoebox camera

Nice - do you have a picture of the camera?
07-09-2015, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #1110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My little X30 has arrived, so a quick tour on the Hobart waterfront yesterday produced some nice shots, including this one:

So far, I'm quite happy with it, although the EVF is proving a mixed experience, even if that isn't necessarily a bad thing. This shot was a JPEG straight out of the camera, btw.