Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2108 Likes Search this Thread
07-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #1711
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Sadly, unable to revive my old Oly. The batteries are dead, or its just karked it. No idea but I'm not going to find out.
Sorry to hear. Awhile back I had a new Panasonic Lumix something-or-other that died after about 6 months. Yet some of them can go on for years. My old HP C20 one-megapixel cam from 1999 still works to this day! Just for grins, I picked up another old Powershot, an A560 7.1 mpx from 2007. It's a regular-sized model, not as tiny as my ELPHs. Should have it in a week or so.

Just an overcast day at the lake. Powershot SD450 again:

07-05-2017, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #1712
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
From Maine, Five Islands Dock, Georgetown. iPhone 7.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
07-09-2017, 09:49 AM - 2 Likes   #1713
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
From Maine, Five Islands Dock, Georgetown. iPhone 7.
Nice looking shots!

Bokeh in the neighbor's garden. Taken with an ancient Canon Powershot SD450 in macro mode:
07-15-2017, 09:22 AM - 3 Likes   #1714
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Willow at the lake at sunset. Fuji X10:

07-21-2017, 02:32 AM   #1715
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Years ago ended up with a Pentax A10 ultra compact camera that was damaged. No idea why, but some dunder head used a pry bar on the battery chamber door. The door was totally gone and couldn't be replaced. The idiot even bent the attachment points on the camera body. The only thing that held the battery in was the little hook.

Used it all the time with the battery hanging out the bottom, with the little battery hook holding the whole weight of the battery. The hook finally gave up. I miss the little camera.

Found a Canon SD780 as a replacement. It is almost as small and does a fine job. Picture taking isn't as easy or fun. Not totally the camera's fault. More used to the Pentax menu. I will keep my eye out for another Pentax. Amazing how we get attached to certain cameras.

Thanks
barondla

Check out the Point & Shoot Contests in the Compact Camera forum. Enter #115. Any brand camera or phone is allowed.
07-28-2017, 03:49 AM - 3 Likes   #1716
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

My old bullet proof camera died, turned out it wasn't invincible after all... Was on the lookout for a WG-5, but that disappeared from all the stores earlier this year. Found a good deal on a Olympus TG-4 (including the ring-light thingy) now that the TG-5 is out. The image quality isn't stellar, lacking contrast and sharpness, but shooting raw actually helps quite a lot.

What surprised me the most was the "microscope mode", something I expected to be a pretty useless marketing feature. But it really does a decent job, especially with the in-camera focus stacking. It actually is usable hand held. And the stacking greatly reduces the noise when shooting high ISO.

Here's one test I did on a match head. Hand held, macro light attached, in-camera stacking (I think it's 10 frames combined).

07-29-2017, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #1717
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Some more close-ups from the TG-4.

07-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #1718
Veteran Member

Wow those TG4 closeups are excellent. I've just put myself in the market for a TG5 because of its 12Mp sensor, and RAW. Had no idea Macro/closeup/microscope was this good!!
07-29-2017, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #1719
Veteran Member

Also, please can people submit smaller versions of their shots? THis is what it looks like on my ipad when I am trying to quote someone's post, and theres a full size shot in the thread. Anything up to 2048 is OK, I think

I've reduced mine to 1024. But I have had to squint at the screen to actually type, and make the post.

BEG!
Attached Images

07-31-2017, 09:18 AM   #1720
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great micro shots Savoche. Have been watching the Olympus TG4. May have to pick one up handheld focus stacking is amazing,

thanks for sharing
barondla

July 31st is the last day to enter Point & Shoot contest #115 in the compact camera forum. Any brand camera or cell phone is welcome. Check out the previous contests.
07-31-2017, 09:44 AM   #1721
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow those TG4 closeups are excellent. I've just put myself in the market for a TG5 because of its 12Mp sensor, and RAW. Had no idea Macro/closeup/microscope was this good!!
The TG-5 looks like a nice upgrade; the lower resolution presumably will give better lowlight performance, and the higher framerate should make the focus stacking even more usable. Better physical controls on the camera as well. I didn't think it would be worth 50% more, though.

The raw files give quite a lot more room for adjustments. The high-ISO JPEGs get some fairly heavy-handed noise reduction applied.

Note, though, that when using the stacking function the camera will save two files; the first of the series and the resulting stacked image. Both of these will be JPEG only. It would have been so much better if the first frame could have been in raw format.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Great micro shots Savoche. Have been watching the Olympus TG4. May have to pick one up handheld focus stacking is amazing,
Thanks, it really performs well for close-up work. I'm not as impressed when shooting at a distance. But then I suppose this camera is made primarily for use under conditions where you mostly will be close to your subjects, be it over or under water. Besides, it's not fair comparing this little thing with a GR or a K-3 & DA70

QuoteQuote:
July 31st is the last day to enter Point & Shoot contest #115 in the compact camera forum. Any brand camera or cell phone is welcome. Check out the previous contests.
Hmm, I think I took some snaps with my phone when visiting São Tomé & Príncipe in January... I'll see if I can find something post-worthy.
07-31-2017, 09:48 AM   #1722
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Also, please can people submit smaller versions of their shots? THis is what it looks like on my ipad when I am trying to quote someone's post, and theres a full size shot in the thread. Anything up to 2048 is OK, I think

I've reduced mine to 1024. But I have had to squint at the screen to actually type, and make the post.

BEG!
Strange. Mine are max 1024 px (long edge). Looks OK on my tablet/phone, but they are Android and might render things differently.
07-31-2017, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #1723
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

A more general scene with the TG-4. Quite ok for web size images, but I wouldn't try a big print. I have added quite a lot of contrast in PP, as well as applied some 'clarity'. But that's what raw is for

..and another
08-01-2017, 05:06 AM   #1724
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Some delicious stuff! Fuji X20

Regards!
08-01-2017, 02:41 PM   #1725
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Strange. Mine are max 1024 px (long edge). Looks OK on my tablet/phone, but they are Android and might render things differently.
Yours are fine. I didnt want to name names..., but there is one person who submits full size and on my ipad, everything else gets squashed to the side, as my screen compensates to show the full size shot. I wish it would scroll instead, but it doesnt.

Perhaps this screenie will explain better
Attached Images

Last edited by kyteflyer; 08-01-2017 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Added screenie