Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2108 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2014, 07:12 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Confessions of a Toy Camera Shooter....Confess Here!

A couple of years ago I fell in love with my little Fuji X10......went on to enjoy the X20...and now look forward to the X30 coming soon.
I have a K5, a wonderful camera, and a couple of dozen lenses for it, some very fine. However, I have gone "Toy Camera" about 95% and seldom use my K5 or those lenses. Big and bulky, hard to carry at times, not small and inconspicuous by any means, and just plain old "NOT HANDY".

I admit.....I am not a Pro shooter, never was, never will be. I am not going to get any abundance of great shots, maybe only a handful in a lifetime...if I am lucky. What I need is to document my days, the people I meet, the things I see, and the things I do from day to day. I need a camera that is handy, always in my hand or close enough to grab and fire away without swapping lenses or scaring people away with a big bulky outfit that makes them wary of me or my camera. It needs to be fast, accurate, and fun to use...or I won't use it.

What does a Toy Camera shooter shoot? Everything!

The cook at the local Deli...

Pretty girls you meet at the Deli!

Lovely models...

Both young and old...

Mrs Rupert reading bedtime stories to her bear...

Calico cats....

Beautiful eyes...

Raccoons in the wild...

Raccoons not so wild waiting for dinner on your back deck...

Lovely blooms...close up.

The morning sky...

Maybe you just shoot your feet if you are bored? Toy Camera shooters shoot most anything...anytime..anywhere!

If you have a Toy Camera, any brand that does not take interchangeable lenses, feel free to post your confession here! You don't have to be ashamed, or feel inferior, after all, you are having more fun than anyone and never miss a moment by trying to prepare your gear for the shot. No backaches, less expense, and all those shots you wished you got.....You Got!

That's my true confession.......I'm a Toy Camera shooter, and I feel no shame!

Confess! You will feel much better, I guarantee!

Best Regards!.....More things a Toy Camera shooter shoots....some decent, some not, all fun!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35763648@N05/sets/72157633101644164/

04-09-2014, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you call that a toy camera

But then, I call this not really a camera:

04-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

are all the shoots taken with the "toy camera"
04-09-2014, 09:25 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

My first camera was a true 'toy' camera. I was about 10 years old (1967) and spotted it on a grocery store shelf while running an errand for my mother and I knew I just had to have it. I ran back home with the groceries and spent the next couple of hours begging and pleading with my mother until she finally gave in and coughed up the money for it on the understanding that I would do extra 'chores' for the next month! Once I had the money in my hand I ran back to the store hoping that they still had the camera in stock as there were only a couple left when I first spotted it. Now here's the kicker, what I actually had to buy was a 1 lb. bag of barley sugar boiled sweets (candies) and the camera was a free gift attached to the package! Total cost was a whopping 2/6d, two shillings and sixpence (in old UK money) or 25p (in modern UK money) or roughly 42c in current US money but you have to remember that you could get a packet of 20 ciggies for less than that price back then and I got one shilling (5p) a week as 'pocket money' for running errands and doing chores for my mother.

The camera itself was plastic bodied but had a glass lens and looked like a small, black, SLR and shot 126 roll film. Controls consisted of a film winder and a shutter release and that was it, the film had to be re-wound into its can by holding down a button which released the winder mechanism while turning a large recessed screw-head under the can with a coin. It actually took very good shots for what it was and I put many rolls of film through that camera. I still have some prints from that period in a box upstairs, maybe I should dig them out and scan them so that you can see just what that little toy camera could do.

I used that camera for a couple of years until my parents bought me a Kodak Instamatic ( G4AQB - Analogue Native!: Kodak ) for Christmas and that became my main camera right up until 1979 when I bought my first SLR, a used Pentax Spotmatic with 50mm and 135mm lenses.

04-09-2014, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
are all the shoots taken with the "toy camera"
Yes....X10 or X20. Lots of Toy Cameras do wonderful work.....or fun shooting. Look in the Sony DSC-RX100 thread, some superb shots there!

Come on out guys/girls, don't be shy or ashamed! You can flaunt your Toy Cameras here without fear of harassment or criticism from the guys with the "Big Guns". Hold your head up high and show off your Toy Camera and shots right here!

Don't feel rejected and hurt.......you don't have to be a SLR to be in my show! You won't be denied!

Regards!
04-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Okay I confess I am a Hipstamatic shooter as well as a Fuji Instax shooter. Also through the years I have used various Lomography cameras, but here I will post only Hipstamatic shots. For those of you who don't know, Hipstamatic is an iPhone app that shoots square format pictures through a variety of filters. You can shake the phone to randomize the filters. Also you can't see the effects of the filter until after the pic is done. All this adds up to a nice dose of randomness which I find quite enjoyable.

Anyway here are some of my favorite Hipstamatic pics:

04-09-2014, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That ain't no toy!

When I saw the "Toy Camera" title I was expecting something like this:
Name:  Steky.jpg
Views: 3749
Size:  362.1 KB

04-09-2014, 05:10 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
When I saw the "Toy Camera" title I was expecting something like this:
What is that? It's certainly neat looking! That's the kind of toy that I could love!

Toy Cameras are great for shooting cows too...but it helps to have a zoom lens! When their head goes down like this one, you better be going backward....fast. That fence will not slow them down.

Regards!
04-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice post, Rupert, and follow ups, too. Good story Larry!

My camera-in-the-bag is a Fuji X-10, as Rupert knows, and I love it. I have others that I use, too, and mostly Pentax, but I do love that 'toy camera.' It has helped me capture some of the things I see and like in ways that convey some of that original feeling. It is a great tool, much more capable than I am, really, and that's what I like most about it.
David
04-09-2014, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jac...I knew you'd be along sooner or later! You do wonders with your X10...feel free to post some here!

I know there are more Toy Camera shooters out there (nice work Mr Bassie) and I hope you will "Come Out" and expose yourselves and your cameras. No need to hide out in the shadows, you will get respect here! Post what you like best, post as many as you want........we need to prove that Toy Cameras have a place of their own here!

Toy Cameras can shoot at night too!

Macros...no thorny problem with your Toy Camera!

A burning bush only last a few seconds.....your Toy Camera is always in hand and ready!

I've showed you mine...now show me yours! I used to love playing that game as a kid...... Maybe that is the kid in me that loves my Toy Cameras!

Regards!
04-09-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the F600EXR courtesy of another forum member, shortly to be joined by the F800EXR. Good for outdoors stuff, like:

(Apologies in advance for the soccer field markings..)
04-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is an old viewfinder camera a toy?

04-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

My Oly E-PL1 M43 cam is my "toy" camera these days. I've given up on regular P&S, don't even own one now. Yeah, I can change lenses, but I don't consider the Oly my "real" camera. That would be my DSLR, the camera that I work with. As much as I love my little Oly it's not in the same league as my DSLR. It's basically a pocket cam that you can change lenses on and I treat it like one. It's my purse cam. I carry it nearly all the time. I don't use it much for serious photography. I grab my K-x for that. But in so far as "toy" cameras go it's a good one and I do enjoy having it. I can't have a toy camera now though where I can't change lenses at all. I just need that ability even when I'm just messing around and taking pics for fun.
04-09-2014, 10:20 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Pentax Q7...
Already shared here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/256302-pentax-outing-more-q-...pressions.html

04-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #15
Pentaxian

My "Toy Camera" is a Panasonic LF 1 which fits nicely in my shirt pocket and was quite handy when walking around during our vacation in Myrtle Beach last month.

Last edited by reeftool; 12-29-2016 at 04:45 PM.