Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #1
Banned

DPR: Fujifilm X-T1 Review 84% Gold

QuoteQuote:
The Fujifilm X-T1 has got a lot of photographers excited, and with good reason. It sits in much the same bracket as the Olympus OM-D E-M1 and Sony Alpha 7, being an enthusiast-oriented SLR-style mirrorless model that offers SLR-level image quality in a more-compact overall package. It certainly holds its own in this illustrious company; indeed for many users we think it's likely to offer the most compelling package of the three. We think it offers potentially better image quality than the Olympus (although the difference isn't huge), while being being nicer to shoot with than the Sony (and having a far better range of lenses right now).

The X-T1 also offers extremely strong competition to enthusiast APS-C SLRs like the Canon EOS 70D, Nikon D7100 and Pentax K-3. Here its case is bolstered by its relatively compact size and excellent autofocus - in our experience it's more accurate at focusing fast lenses than any APS-C SLR, and its continuous AF with moving subjects is very competitive too.

Overall, then, the X-T1 combines a hugely engaging control setup with a superb viewfinder, excellent image quality, one of the best AF systems in a mirrorless camera, and a pretty compelling selection of lenses to choose from. Its ergonomic quirks should be taken into account by anyone who wants to change settings quickly with the camera to their eye, but we think most users will be prepared to tolerate its relatively minor foibles in exchange for the results it can offer.
Fujifilm X-T1 Review: Digital Photography Review

It is the first camera with UHS-II support up to 312MB/s !

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed/bus_speed/

04-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
It is the first camera with UHS-II support up to 312MB/s !
That's great news. Too bad it requires a hardware change, but hopefully whatever comes next from other brands will also support the faster cards.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
I think UHS-II cards will be needed for 4K @ 60fps but cameras with that might not come out until Photokina in September or CES in January.
05-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I keep playing with the XT-1 when I go into the shops, and I think I will purchase one. I have a few reservations, but the body itself is pretty impressive...and pretty.

It feels just like using an LX when your holding it in your hand, and the viewfinder is pretty incredible for an EVF. Still far from perfect, but very usable. The focus peeking dual screen is a nice touch. Today I was check out the different film modes and thought that was really cool. I'll have to go in and put my card in and switch to RAW and see what happens. Found some issues with constant AF vs servo AF, doesn't like to track or if you move too much from a stationary object it starts to hunt.

Granted I'll be wanting this camera to use with the FA Limiteds via an adapter primarily, however the 23mm f1.4 and 56mm f1.2 are really really cool. I think I would want something smaller as a lens for street though, something FA 43 similar sized, when I want to use an AF capable lens.

It's very tempting.... very tempting.

05-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I read in one of the reviews that:

QuoteQuote:
As with other Fujifilm X-series cameras, the X-T1 will let you record only JPEGs when set to the extremes of its sensitivity range, in this case ISO 100, 12,800, 25,600, and 51,200.
So no ability to shoot RAW below ISO 200, or at ISO 12800 or above, only forced JPEG. Seems strange.
05-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I read in one of the reviews that:

So no ability to shoot RAW below ISO 200, or at ISO 12800 or above, only forced JPEG. Seems strange.
those sensitivities must be artificial/expanded sensitivities... like ISO 50 on K5 or Lo/Hi on Nikon. Still odd that they wouldn't figure out a way to pull them out of RAW.
05-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The IQ of the JPEGs is pretty impressive. I keep looking at the Sony A7r, but when I see the threads where people post their pictures, and I'm pretty unimpressed. When I go to look at Fuji pictures online, I'm much more impressed at the IQ than I am the Sony A7r. Fuji is definitely going in the right direction. If they would just go FF I would buy one today.

05-17-2014, 03:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The IQ of the JPEGs is pretty impressive. I keep looking at the Sony A7r, but when I see the threads where people post their pictures, and I'm pretty unimpressed. When I go to look at Fuji pictures online, I'm much more impressed at the IQ than I am the Sony A7r. Fuji is definitely going in the right direction. If they would just go FF I would buy one today.
I think Fuji does more cooking on their jpegs than other camera companies do and if you like that look, it is probably the way to go. I doubt if you shoot RAW that you would see a lot of difference though.
05-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Fuji does more cooking on their jpegs than other camera companies do and if you like that look, it is probably the way to go. I doubt if you shoot RAW that you would see a lot of difference though.
Everyone cooks their JPEGs. Fuji has to do it differently because of their sensor. I think they do a good job with their film presets. Pentax still struggles with JPEGs and magenta/purple colors. We (My K-3 and a friends XPro-1) shot some very, very dark purple flowers at a wedding. Shooting with JPEG + DNG and he was shooting straight JPEG. His XP-1 did a much better job with the colors and the purple flower was much more accurate. It didn't matter what I did to my JPEG settings I couldn't get a good match. I never could get a good match. I wish I had setup my Passport Color checker on that table.

If I had to rank the IQ of JPEG engines from all manufacturers based on accurate colors and skin tones, noise/detail it would be:

1. Olympus
2. Fuji
3. Canon
4. Nikon
5. Pentax
6. Sony

Pentax still suffers from magenta skin tones and its NR is average at best. This has been the case since I started shooting with the K-7. The RAW files are so much better than the JPEG files. Shooting with Olympus on the other hand, its actually hard to get a lot more out of the RAW files than what you get with the OOC JPEGs.
05-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

For those wanting FF, a big change is coming soon from Fuji......you can read about it here.
Just what is this new organic sensor thing? - Fujifilm X News & Rumors - Fuji X Forum

Most expect this to appear within the next year in some new model Fuji that will change the way we look at sensors and sensor sizes. Innovation is not limited to Canon and Nikon, and Fuji seems to be on the leading edge lately in many areas both within camera design and technology. If you are a Fuji fan, the future looks very bright indeed....and on top of that, they listen to their shooters like no one else, and design and produce accordingly. Updating firmware in cameras several years old is just one example of Fuji customer care, and if you don't love Fuji, you probably could if you owned one.
Got a problem with your new camera.....you don't have to wait forever for the maker to address it....if they ever do...Fuji will be on top of it in no time!

Regards!

Note:
(This was not a paid Fuji post...but if they want to send me a new X30 when it comes out, I'd certainly accept it! )
05-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

DPR: Fujifilm X-T1 Review 84% Gold

I was going to buy a new laptop with my tax return money. Probably still should as it technically higher on the needs list right now... But an XT-1 is so tempting...

Especially after last night. I shot a whole session with my D800 kit and by the 1.20 minute mark my arms were killing me so I swapped over to the K3 only for the shutter bug to take over after 10 frames. So we called it a night. Got lots of shots anyways, however if I used the K3 from the start or had an XT1 as a backup to my backup with a PK adapter we could have explored a few more outfits
05-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
But an XT-1 is so tempting...
Yes indeed! If I still had my little studio I would most definitely have the X-T1 and several of those fantastic fast Fuji lenses. The Fuji color and WB are the best of any camera in my opinion. You can count on Fuji color and WB, and the other features on the X-T1 would make it excellent for portraits and not wear you out using it.

I shot several with the X20 Toy Camera, and can only imagine how much better the X-T1 could do.....

Hope you go for the X-T1, I think you would be very satisfied.

Regards!
05-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I bought an XT-1 last week. I love it
But like everything in life it is far from perfect.
But most of my cons are with the system and are currently being addressed by Fuji.

Pros:
EVF is as good as advertised. It is big and the lag is negligible.
Focusing is very accurate.
Weather sealed body.
Feels great in my hand and the dials are right where they should be.
Lenses are top notch. Very sharp and the rendering is great. Also they are well built, compact abd light weight.
Manual Focusing aids are accurate and can be accessed with the touch of a button. So you dont have to menu dive it lessens the chance of missing your shot.
Out if the camera JPEGS look fantastic.
Body is the right size with a proper grip so you dont have the"beer can on pack of playing cards" look and balance.
Cons:
Lack of weather sealed lenses. But they are releasing some soon including a 18-135mm.
Lack of telephoto options. But there are some on the roadmap and should be out this year I believe.
Flash options and system suck. Makes Pentax look like Nikon's CLS.
Post processing options are kind of dicey.
AF tracking is ok for a MILC, which is still not close to DSLR.
If video is your thing, look elsewhere.
Optical stabilization is great. Some of the reviewers say it is the amongst the best they have ever tested. However, currently only 2 lenses have it. But I'm sure the future telephoto zoom on the roadmap will have it.

Last edited by cali92rs; 05-18-2014 at 07:37 AM.
05-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I bought an XT-1 last week. I love it
But like everything in life it is far from perfect.
But most of my cons are with the system and are currently being addressed by Fuji.

Pros:
EVF is as good as advertised. It is big and the lag is negligible.
Focusing is very accurate.
Weather sealed body.
Feels great in my hand and the dials are right where they should be.
Lenses are top notch. Very sharp and the rendering is great. Also they are well built, compact abd light weight.
Manual Focusing aids are accurate and can be accessed with the touch of a button. So you dont have to menu dive it lessens the chance of missing your shot.
Out if the camera JPEGS look fantastic.
Body is the right size with a proper grip so you dont have the"beer can on pack of playing cards" look and balance.
Cons:
Lack of weather sealed lenses. But they are releasing some soon including a 18-135mm.
Lack of telephoto options. But there are some on the roadmap and should be out this year I believe.
Flash options and system suck. Makes Pentax look like Nikon's CLS.
Post processing options are kind of dicey.
AF tracking is ok for a MILC, which is still not close to DSLR.
If video is your thing, look elsewhere.
Optical stabilization is great. Some of the reviewers say it is the amongst the best they have ever tested. However, currently only 2 lenses have it. But I'm sure the future telephoto zoom on the roadmap will have it.
how was focus point selection with your eye to the finder? I was finding it a pain to change my focus point, but probably because I don't know the camera. Still haven't bought one...just went and touched one again though. Makes me feel dirty going to the store just to touch it...
05-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
how was focus point selection with your eye to the finder? I was finding it a pain to change my focus point, but probably because I don't know the camera. Still haven't bought one...just went and touched one again though. Makes me feel dirty going to the store just to touch it...
That is one of the things that does take some getting used to. It isn't comfy for me because I have to tilt the camera from my eye to get my thumb there. I think though once I get more used it, I will do it in less cumbersome technique.