Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New Sony Action Cam - Dick Tracy eat your heart out!

New Sony Action Cam HDR-AS100VR - arrived on Monday, mounted it on my bicycle:

Comes with a live view remote control wrist watch - I have confirmed the live view works on my other Sony cameras (like NEX6, A7r etc.)

Here's a short video excerpt of my bike ride yesterday morning on Pacific Highway:

04-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
osv
Veteran Member

wow... wifi video signal to a wrist-mounted recorder? interesting...
04-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
wow... wifi video signal to a wrist-mounted recorder? interesting...
I would have preferred Bluetooth Low Energy or even ANT+ for power consumption reasons, but apparently there isn't enough bandwidth for a video feed.

The remote control uses the same protocol as most of Sony's Wi Fi enabled cameras, so it can be used as an interesting remote trigger for photography (I confirmed it works with NEX6). It even exposes some of the camera functionality in a settings menu on the remote.
04-20-2014, 03:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
From this morning's ride.

I set a goal to catch the cyclist in front of me by the third crest (just before the descent down into Bobbin Head). I made it, but only just. He was going faster than I anticipated and I had to crank up towards the end.

The Sony bike mount is crap - doesn't really hold the camera steady enough during the descent. May have to investigate MacGyvering my own solution.

04-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, I managed to create my own bike tripod mount from cannibalising remnants from an old bicycle light mount plus a quick visit to the hardware store for some parts.

I am vain enough to think my version of the tripod mount looks better and more secure than the Sony one:

It works a lot better - much less shaking and rattling - here's a video from today's ride (same segment as the video on the first post):
04-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Descent into Bobbin Head using the new mount - the video is still shaky, but a huge improvement over the Sony mount. All the bumpiness comes from the road - at least the mount is not introducing additional judder. PS - the vehicle travelling on the wrong side of the road around 3:43 gave me a bit of a fright.

By comparison, this is the same descent captured using the Sony mount - to show how incredibly bad it is by comparison:
04-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
Banned

I was waiting for you to fix the vibration problem , now I could show my brother your fix since he uses a GoPro on his bike. The videos look much better now .