Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2014, 02:38 AM   #1
Unregistered User

Pentax lens on Sony a3000

Does anyone here use Sony a3000 with Pentax lenses adapted to it? Are you happy with the combination?

I am asking these questions because I am considering buying a body.

04-27-2014, 04:48 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm happy dabbling with them on a NEX 3 and NEX 7 ... same mount.
04-27-2014, 04:54 AM   #3
Forum Member

Hi, I am using a3000 with booster or tilt adapter.
Image quality is good. Very enjoyable combination
04-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VadikToronto Quote
Hi, I am using a3000 with booster or tilt adapter.
Image quality is good. Very enjoyable combination
Any chance you can post a photo from the combination? I'd be pretty interested as well... I was thinking of exactly this combo. (A3000, Lens Turbo, T/S lens)

04-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #5
Forum Member

A50F1.4 @ F4 on booster https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwwJWYcCTVmmenc2bjJ1N2RHV2c/edit?usp=sharing
Kiron 28mm2.0 @F4 tilt down 8 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwwJWYcCTVmmbzFqWWNLYXppWEk/edit?usp=sharing
04-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #6
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
a3000 sounds pretty cheap: Sony A3000 First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

maybe a used nex body instead? something with magnify capability, and a better evf... magnify/focus peaking is awesome for manual focusing.

the only speed booster that's worthwhile is the expensive one, which will cost you nearly as much as the camera body(??) the cheap ones are like shooting through the bottom of a coke bottle.
LensRentals.com - Metabones Magic?

you'll probably need wide glass, i'd spend the money on a quality e-mount aps-c lens instead... sigma 19mm/30mm, sony 10-18 zoom
04-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had a chance to play around with an A3000 at a not-so-local Walmart. It was plugged into power and worked just fine. I was always curious to know if the EVF had focus peaking and it does! The peaking is very dramatic too - much more than what I see on my K-30 with Live View. Everyone said how awful the EVF was and I will say that it's not great but plenty enough for composing, focusing, and shooting. The sensor rates a little lower in some cases than a K-30 according to DxOMark if you trust their scores. I have a feeling that at low ISO in bright light conditions with the same lens (adapted) you would be hard pressed to distinguish one sensor from another but that's just my guess.

04-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for taking and sharing those! (This AM, here in the GTA no less...) Looks pretty good.

About the only thing that bums me out about APS-C is that my wide-ish tilt/shift lenses are normal or longer lenses on it, which makes landscape shots kinda tricky (try stitching multiple tilted shots together!). Using an E-mount camera that actually has a grip and EVF (and can be bought new for $300 right now) with a speedbooster or lens turbo adapter is a pretty good solution! Makes the FA lenses look good as well...

Thanks for asking the question, Dominic, and thanks for posting your photos, Vadik.
04-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I bought the 5n first, then got tired of using the 5n in bright sunlight, got the nex 6 which came with built-in EVF. cheaper than buying an evf accessory and doesn't hang up on things going in the bag.

I've tried my pentax lenses out on the Nex cameras, including the DA 300, DA50-135, DA35 macro f2.8, then some macro Pentax lenses - M and A series. They all work in manual mode. Those pentax lenses with aperture rings let you know where you are at aperture wise, but you can use some of the adapters to adjust aperture as well on the auto AF Pentax lenses - but can't tell exactly which aperture your are at - if that makes sense. I have 2 fotodiox adapters.

As to purchasing a body, i'd put your funds primarily into the body to start with. focus peaking AND magnify tools for manual focusing are both necessary, as sometimes there isn't enough light or contrast for focus peaking to work by itself. And the built-in EVF is important on nice sunny days. I wouldn't be too concerned about buying used, mine have been very reliable and i always buy at the end of the marketing cycle for cameras when they are less pricey. I really enjoy macro lenses with the Nex cameras, more so than with DSLRs.
04-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
a3000 sounds pretty cheap: Sony A3000 First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

maybe a used nex body instead? something with magnify capability, and a better evf... magnify/focus peaking is awesome for manual focusing.

the only speed booster that's worthwhile is the expensive one, which will cost you nearly as much as the camera body(??) the cheap ones are like shooting through the bottom of a coke bottle.
LensRentals.com - Metabones Magic?

you'll probably need wide glass, i'd spend the money on a quality e-mount aps-c lens instead... sigma 19mm/30mm, sony 10-18 zoom
Metabones does not make a focal reducer adapter for Pentax PK mpunt lenses to E mount cameras and the Lens Turbo PK-NEX adapter works fine on my NEX-3N.

SMC Pentax-M* 300mm F4 on NEX-3N :

04-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #11
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Metabones does not make a focal reducer adapter for Pentax PK mpunt lenses to E mount cameras and the Lens Turbo PK-NEX adapter works fine on my NEX-3N.
good info, sorry to hear that there isn't a pentax version... but why would you only use pentax glass on a mirrorless? it would be silly to ignore the huge assortment of lenses out there... point is, even the metabones introduces some undesirable issues, and it's the best there is:
First Impressions: Metabones Speed Booster: Digital Photography Review

fwiw, a comparison of both:

"As can be seen, Lens Turbo yields an image with significant sharpness reduction. In my view, the image rendered by Lens Turbo is not a useable image.
Final analysis: Speed Booster is worth the extra cost of purchase."
Lens Turbo vs. Speed Booster

read the comment section... if you know who uhoh7 is:
"Uhoh7 • 11 months ago
I got the Nikon LT. So far, it's been disappointing. I have dramatic blurring at the edges from various Nikon lenses.
I'm afraid you cannot call The lens turbo Cheap because it's arguably unusable."
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/more-lens-turbo-tests/

Last edited by osv; 04-27-2014 at 10:35 AM.
04-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteQuote:
but why would you only use pentax glass on a mirrorless? it would be silly to ignore the huge assortment of lenses out there.
Why would I use my Pentax lenses on a Sony E mount camera ? Because I have 20 PK mount lenses and that is why there are many here purchasing APS-C and full frame E mount cameras to use with their PK mount lenses. I also have a 35mm F1.4 Bower Sony A mount , Sony 28-70mm OSS FE mount, Tokina 24-200mm full frame Nikon mount ,Sony 16-50mm E mount and Sony 55-210mm E mount lenses.

Here is my full frame VG900 with Sony 28-70mm FE OSS lens:

Here it is with PK mount 24mm F1.4 :

Here it is with full frame 24-200mm Nikon mount :

Here it is with Sony A mount 35mm F1.4 :

Last edited by jogiba; 04-27-2014 at 01:25 PM.
04-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
osv
Veteran Member

Why would I use my Pentax lenses on a Sony E mount camera ?
hey, you know that i use my pentax lenses on the a7r but i also use a bunch of other glass on there as well... using any glass from any manufacturer is the whole reason that i went with e-mount.

crop sensor e-mount definitely has better bang for the buck, but if you want to use full-frame glass on aps-c, there will always be compromises... no free lunch.

btw, i just put up 24 drag racing pics that i shot with the pentax 28mm f/3.5... that lens rocks on the a7r, the sides are clean:

Drag racing photos
04-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
hey, you know that i use my pentax lenses on the a7r but i also use a bunch of other glass on there as well... using any glass from any manufacturer is the whole reason that i went with e-mount.

crop sensor e-mount definitely has better bang for the buck, but if you want to use full-frame glass on aps-c, there will always be compromises... no free lunch.

btw, i just put up 24 drag racing pics that i shot with the pentax 28mm f/3.5... that lens rocks on the a7r, the sides are clean:

Drag racing photos
Nice shots, I plan on taking my GH4 next month to Englishtown for the NHRA Summernationals and shoot some 4K video and stills.
2014 Mello Yello Drag Racing Series Schedule
04-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #15
osv
Veteran Member

Nice shots, I plan on taking my GH4 next month to Englishtown for the NHRA Summernationals and shoot some 4K video and stills.
2014 Mello Yello Drag Racing Series Schedule
lucky dog!!!

i shot at that track a couple of times, back in the '90's, the light is sooo good!

nothing in so cal compares, not even bakersfield or phoenix.

i've also been to atco, which is cool, but it's no e-town.