Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #16
Pentaxian

If the others move in the same direction , the standard compact camera market will decline more rapidly.

04-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That looks like something out of the Onion.
Fugly and funny.

M
04-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
If the others move in the same direction , the standard compact camera market will decline more rapidly.
Yep. That's what I'm thinking. It strikes at the one major feature that might make one reach for a compact camera over an otherwise similarly-specced cellphone camera: optical zoom.
04-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Yep. That's what I'm thinking. It strikes at the one major feature that might make one reach for a compact camera over an otherwise similarly-specced cellphone camera: optical zoom.
I imagine zoom lenses will be the nail in the coffin for P&S. Funny, the only thing that would make me want to choose a phone over a p&s would be a larger sensor.

04-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Funny, the only thing that would make me want to choose a phone over a p&s would be a larger sensor.
Yep. Hence why I said otherwise similarly specced.

I expect that the high-end compact market will survive, largely for that very reason, but I doubt most people using a cellphone or a lower-end P&S have any idea what the sensor size they're using is.

Last edited by g026r; 04-30-2014 at 01:32 PM.
05-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Yep. Hence why I said otherwise similarly specced.

I expect that the high-end compact market will survive, largely for that very reason, but I doubt most people using a cellphone or a lower-end P&S have any idea what the sensor size they're using is.
Or care really. People use their camera phones now for almost any and every event from the snapshot/selfies thing all the way to their trips to Europe, etc. Funny ina way, but true. Most people now could care less about carrying along a other camera (People like us in this forum will shrug at that, but we are the exception, not the rule).

Jason
05-05-2014, 02:06 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Or care really. People use their camera phones now for almost any and every event from the snapshot/selfies thing all the way to their trips to Europe, etc. Funny ina way, but true. Most people now could care less about carrying along a other camera (People like us in this forum will shrug at that, but we are the exception, not the rule).

Jason
I disagree partly... there are enough people in the world who care about image quality for camera makers to make money from *IF* they promoted the compacts on quality. People would care... or at least some or enough would care to grow the market and have funds to develop new cameras. The common market needs a serious compact that is EASY to use and makes good quality images... sell it along the lines that here is this new must have accessory that will make sure you keep the memories of your holiday as if you were still there... or some such.

When was the last time you have seen a camera ad? Or even online targeted advertising?

05-16-2014, 05:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob01 Quote
I disagree partly... there are enough people in the world who care about image quality for camera makers to make money from *IF* they promoted the compacts on quality. People would care... or at least some or enough would care to grow the market and have funds to develop new cameras. The common market needs a serious compact that is EASY to use and makes good quality images... sell it along the lines that here is this new must have accessory that will make sure you keep the memories of your holiday as if you were still there... or some such.

When was the last time you have seen a camera ad? Or even online targeted advertising?
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-hot-first-rx100m3-images-leaked/

Not a phone, but a serious compact with IQ as the focus.

Jason