Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2014, 05:55 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Show me a link to were " Sony signals that they are done with the alpha mount and SLTs ".

300mm F2.8 Sony alpha A mount on a77 II SLT :

Sony A77 II AF Speedtest - YouTube
Sony doesn't tell anybody about their "plan" if they actually have one. They had not released an SLT camera since 2012 and had not release an APS-C SLT camera since 2011.

As far as I could tell, Sony was focused on mirrorless and was certainly spending minimal effort updating alpha mount lenses and SLT bodies.

But I don't read the Sony Rumors pages as much as you do either, so maybe I can be forgiven for not releasing that the alpha mount is still viable.

05-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Sorry man, I was just wondering what you meant about the perfect P&S with those features and how it related to the A772. For the record, the camera you stated about wanting, I want too. Have you done any reading or research into the rumored specs of the Sony RX200? This may be the answer, including built in EVF.

Jason
Well, the conversation had wandered a bit from the A77 to where Sony was going, and my musing on their future wandered on a bit further, as one does when the initial discussion loses headway. Thanks for the tip on the probable RX200: I shall watch developments with that.
05-03-2014, 06:23 AM   #48
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sony doesn't tell anybody about their "plan" if they actually have one. They had not released an SLT camera since 2012 and had not release an APS-C SLT camera since 2011.

As far as I could tell, Sony was focused on mirrorless and was certainly spending minimal effort updating alpha mount lenses and SLT bodies.

But I don't read the Sony Rumors pages as much as you do either, so maybe I can be forgiven for not releasing that the alpha mount is still viable.
And Canon keeps coming out with the same 18mp APS-C 1.6x crop sensor DSLRs 5 years in a row but consumers eat it up since they are #1 is sales.
05-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lenses?

05-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #50
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Lenses?
05-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok. Thanks, jogiba.
05-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Not criticizing at all, but i think the smaller market share companies like Sony and Pentax don't dare broadcast their plans for fear that one of the big elephants will step on their plans. Pentax isn't known for releasing their plans either

Another way of looking at it, Sony may have stripped the SLT division of most staff in order to put more staff on mirrorless for short-term market gain. Sony may be figuring that Canikon will eventually jump on the mirrorless market in FF sensors. And they want to get their first. I think they've done an amazing job of putting out new mirrorless products. As well as improving AF speed RE A6000. One may disagree with the products or dislike EVFs, but one can't argue with Sony's determination once they identify an objective, i.e. mirrorless aps and FF.

Now, the new A77 may just reflect Sony restoring normal staffing levels to SLT cameras.

05-04-2014, 02:53 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
And also be prepared for your photographic capabilities to be stunted by the awful kit lens.
I think you misunderstood what the "kit" lens is here; it's the 16-50/2.8. It's one of Sony's most highly regarded lenses, at least by buyers (who also appreciate the reasonable price).

It sounds like Sony isn't getting much love here, but if I could just get a few of those Sony Zeiss A-mount lenses, I wouldn't care what body they were attached to!

I think continuing to release DSLR-style cameras with a native A-mount is essential to the perception that the A-mount still matters to them. They can't abandon their best lenses, or they'll be left without their greatest strength (as far as most professionals are concerned)!
05-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #54

Original Poster
can you use manual pentax lenses with adapters on this camera with no problem?
05-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gybp Quote
As you can see, the Pentax Q is the one camera that can take any lens (assuming someone makes an adapter). http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

Since the Sony has a slightly smaller registration distance than Pentax, in theory it might work without IQ degradation. But all the adapters I can find include a correcting glass element, so apparently the registration distance is too close to make a thin enough adapter.

As you can see from the list, mirrorless cameras can get around this limitation quite easily.
05-09-2014, 04:51 AM   #56
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by gybp Quote
No, you need a mirrorless camera body to use manual Pentax lenses with adapters like the Panasonic , Sony etc.

05-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Show me a link to were " Sony signals that they are done with the alpha mount and SLTs ".

300mm F2.8 Sony alpha A mount on a77 II SLT :

Sony A77 II AF Speedtest - YouTube
I'd really like to see those who strongly advocate the A-mount and the security of the A-mount cameras by putting their money where their mouth is.

AFAIK, the local A-mount users here have largely kept very quiet about the whole emphasis on E and FE mount and quietly begun selling off the A-mount stuff.
(its still obvious because those former Sony advocates can be seen selling stuff on the buy and sell section, despite not saying much on the forum. )

A, E, FE mount.
A and FE mount both claim a route to high end lenses, but the reality is that resources will be limited and its still a fact that Sony is a distant #3 in camera sales.
Something's got to go.
Its the same with Oly and 4/3.
One can stubbornly claim 4/3 is still 'committed to' since Oly does make one body every few years.
05-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #58
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I'd really like to see those who strongly advocate the A-mount and the security of the A-mount cameras by putting their money where their mouth is.

AFAIK, the local A-mount users here have largely kept very quiet about the whole emphasis on E and FE mount and quietly begun selling off the A-mount stuff.
(its still obvious because those former Sony advocates can be seen selling stuff on the buy and sell section, despite not saying much on the forum. )

A, E, FE mount.
A and FE mount both claim a route to high end lenses, but the reality is that resources will be limited and its still a fact that Sony is a distant #3 in camera sales.
Something's got to go.
Its the same with Oly and 4/3.
One can stubbornly claim 4/3 is still 'committed to' since Oly does make one body every few years.
How many here really have $10,000 to spend on one lens so the BS about Canon and Nikon are the only ones with many lenses does not hold water. Canon has been using the same 18mp 1.6x crop APS-C sensor for five straight years. If you want a Canon then get a Canon but they have nothing that I am interested in like cinema 4K.
05-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #59
Pentaxian

The problem goes beyond that. The alpha mount is essentially an SLR mount, yet Sony refuses to make DSLRs. If I owned high-end alpha mount glass, I'd not be very happy right now. Sony is forcing its alpha mount users either to shoot through mirrors or use their large SLR glass on tiny camera bodies connected via kludgy adapters. Hence the alpha-mount is doomed vibe that seems to be prevalent among photographers.
05-09-2014, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #60
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
The problem goes beyond that. The alpha mount is essentially an SLR mount, yet Sony refuses to make DSLRs. If I owned high-end alpha mount glass, I'd not be very happy right now. Sony is forcing its alpha mount users either to shoot through mirrors or use their large SLR glass on tiny camera bodies connected via kludgy adapters. Hence the alpha-mount is doomed vibe that seems to be prevalent among photographers.
The kludgy adapter spin is getting old. There are many using adapters without problems on mirrorless cameras that are light years better than DSLRs with antique OVFs and mirror box IMHO. People who never used mirrorless cameras with adapters just love using that anti mirrorless camera adapter spin. When I look through my GH4 EVF when shooting 4K it makes my DSLRs with OVF look like the stone age.