Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Too many systems!

I don't think I am alone?
For a couple of days now I'm having a hard time what to take on my trip; NEX 6 or XPro-1 😜

05-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

But.. Why do you have 2 mirrorless systems in the first place?
05-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I couldn't decide in the store Fuji or Sony... Okay GAS
05-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, which one has the lens lineup that you'll need for the trip? If they are similar, go with the least weight. Or, since you couldn't decide between them in the store, take them both.

05-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They're both complete. Just because of the charger I will probably carry the Sony, although I have a few primes I usually just need the the kit zoom and a wide prime. I'm taking a short jaunt into Tokyo and I was originally taking just the X100 for a lot of street but then thought it's Sumo month so if I go for a tournament I might need really wide so xpro1 and 14. Then my sister wants to come along and I know it'll be only street but then she said shed like to see a sumo dude lol but then people will think ideal for me, not the case as I will be the mule especially if she decides to shop there will lots of bags plus shooting gear.
Things get complicated if any others decide they want to ride along. The good thing though is I already ruled out carrying my DSLR
05-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I don't think I am alone?
For a couple of days now I'm having a hard time what to take on my trip; NEX 6 or XPro-1 😜
I'm afraid I can't help you. I have only one(!) system, but nevertheless I always have a hard time deciding what to bring. What lenses, that is.

Sweat is breaking out when I start thinking of how that would be with multiple systems.
05-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have restraint now since I actually started shooting again.

05-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ahhhh, and that is why I love M42 lenses... One thread, one lens, many many cameras.
05-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #9

... book extra luggage, and take it all You know that you will need it ALL... if you do not take it I'd take the Fuji because I think it is one with an X-Trans sensor. I'd convert the NEX to infrared and problem solved.

Last edited by Rob01; 05-05-2014 at 06:14 PM.
05-05-2014, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
They're both complete. Just because of the charger I will probably carry the Sony, although I have a few primes I usually just need the the kit zoom and a wide prime. I'm taking a short jaunt into Tokyo and I was originally taking just the X100 for a lot of street but then thought it's Sumo month so if I go for a tournament I might need really wide so xpro1 and 14. Then my sister wants to come along and I know it'll be only street but then she said shed like to see a sumo dude lol but then people will think ideal for me, not the case as I will be the mule especially if she decides to shop there will lots of bags plus shooting gear.
Things get complicated if any others decide they want to ride along. The good thing though is I already ruled out carrying my DSLR
Ah, well, if you'll be playing pack mule you should probably make sure your smartphone is charged up and forget all that prime photo gear.
05-06-2014, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What is a camera.

A camera is nothing, the lens is the thing. I can produce good work on a 2 megapixel piece of rubbish or 48 megapixel monster, and so should you.

Take a camera it doesn't matter which, on which is a lens.

Take the lens with the largest zoom ratio, or 2 zooms that cover the ratios you need. Whatever covers 30mm to 210mm.

If you cant frame it and need it bigger in the frame use them things hanging down underneath you called legs.
05-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2 systems? Imagine how I feel... do I take my Pentax K3, Nikon D800, Pentax Q7, LX? 645? and soon maybe Fuji XT-1?

But I got it all figured out:
D800 is my pro paying job camera
K3 is my backup kit/video kit
645 is my studio camera
LX is my walk around go out of the day camera
XT-1 will replace the LX when I run out of film
Q7 is in the glove box of my car at all times
05-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Actively using the following systems at the moment:
A7r - full frame E mount and M mount
NEX6 - APS-C E mount
NEXF3 - APS-C M mount
K-01 - K mount
Nikon 1 - high FPS
RX100 - semi casual shots - concerts, special events
HX50V - casual shots, always in my handbag
Action Cam - dashboard and bike recorder
iPhone - very casual shots, "moment in time"

I never have any problems deciding which is best for a given occasion. I also select the right lens depending on occasion, I can't carry my entire collection all the time.

For my recent Hong Kong trip, it was the NEX6. I wanted convenience (AF), lightweight, size - camera, flash, filters, 3 primes, 2 zooms cover the range from 10-210mm (APS-C) and all fits nicely into a smallish camera bag (about the size of a handbag) and light enough to carry all day.
05-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Im glad there are response to this thread, i ended up just taking a X 100 not the "s" its still in the box opened once to update firmware

I have to admit my most used gear is my 5D3 and 1Dx and basically 3 lenses all for table tennis aka ping pong. Stuff never to hardly ever used, sony f3, 6 about 5 lenses, X100, X100s, Xpro1 +3 lenses. What eventually bothers me is gear gathering dust, honestly its GAS not as bad as in the film days where i had EVERY format, cost and rediculous depreciation being the deciding factor in this electronic age. Sometimes i think sell everything but the DSLRs but the loss on resells is just unbearable I use to pass on gear to my nephews but they're not into photography and i see no GAS in them they much more "balanced" with their wants and needs.
I think ill just box up the mirrorless except for the X100 and go with the out of sight out of mind theory

Shooting Table Tennis has kept me from wanting, the 2 body 3 lenses are all i need for most everything i need to shoot,staying off review sites also help.

After just shooting the X100, i didnt feel like i needed anything more, i just made do with what i had and its limitations. If i needed to post something online asap, i just used my iphone and took as best an image i could with its limitations. Instead of selling im just going to pack up the mirrorless and toss them in the garage with the other stuff i thought i needed, just maybe one day that garage will be profitable for the next generation