Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problem with a Minolta Dynax 700si film AF SLR

Bonjour,

I just came across a Dynax 700si in nice shape, but the LCD screen will not stay engaged (will switch to a blank screen after a second and then come back on) and the AF will hunt to infinity and click stop there at each interval ... I have never had a AF Minolta like this, so really kind of lost here ... I would really like to shoot some B&W film with this body. I like its feel, etc. I do have a lot of other older Minolta SLR manual gear ... but this is my first A mount gear.

I have put a new battery in, pressed many a combination of buttons, but no resolution.

The camera came with a AF 28-105 f3.5/4.5 and a AF 70-200 f4.5/5.6 plus other goodies like a Portrait card, card case, a nice OEM Minolta bag, etc., so it's a nice kit that I would like to keep.

My question: is there an easy fix to my problem and if not, who could be recommended for a possible repair?

Thanks a lot for any input/advice ... J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 05-07-2014 at 10:49 AM.
05-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Although I think that you get a sufficient answer in no time here, there is also a board dedicated to old analog camera's, called apug.
05-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panzerfaustnl Quote
Although I think that you get a sufficient answer in no time here, there is also a board dedicated to old analog camera's, called apug.
Yeah, thanks ... I really did not think about about them, but joined Dyxum for this question ... Good idea; I will hit APUG, too ... I'm registered there as well ... J
05-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I've researched that camera a bit since I'm a bit of an Alpha mount fan. I think the 700si had big problems with the circuit board under the shutter button. Apparently, it was weak and would break if the shutter button was pressed to hard.
I wonder if that is the root of your problem?

05-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I've researched that camera a bit since I'm a bit of an Alpha mount fan. I think the 700si had big problems with the circuit board under the shutter button. Apparently, it was weak and would break if the shutter button was pressed to hard.
I wonder if that is the root of your problem?
Thanks Colton ... if I do "half-press" the shutter button, the camera remains "stable" and won't shut down and recycle again ... sounds like you are on to something there.

I thought that there might be a "trick" like with a "locked up" X-700 ... without batteries it won't advance and if one puts new ones in, it may still not advance ... Secret = rub a pencil eraser on the battery compartment contacts ... no kidding! I have a near mint X-700 that I paid less than 5€ for and "fixed" it with the eraser trick ...

I have found a couple of cheap 700si's in the UK ... maybe I'll just get one of them for fun. Salut, J