Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Adapting Pentax Lenses to Fuji Camera

So I played with the Fuji XT-1today and it was love at first sight
Have any of you guys adapted your K-mount lenses to an X-mount camera (X-pro1, XE-1, XT-1 etc)?
How were the results?

05-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Timely thread as I am also waiting for some feedback from users of the Fuji X system with Pentax glass.
This thread, from another forum, might just be what you are looking for:
Pentax lenses on Fuji X Pro 1 - Adapted Lens Discussion - Fuji X Forum

I have the XE-2 myself and enjoying all of it. Great system, great lenses.
Mind you, I am still using my "old" K5 with the DA*300/4 for birding and planning to keep it for a long time.

JP
05-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've seen that post, but thanks
The FA 43mm sample looks good, but honestly im more interested in seeing how the 77mm performs since I have probably made up my mind to get the 35mm, which makes the 43mm expendable.
The Fuji system doesn't have anything in the 70-85mm range, so I was thinking of just adapting the 77mm. I should probably just do it. ..if it is crappy, I am only out the cost of an adapter which is about $30.
05-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't imagine that the FA 77 would be anything but wonderful on the Fuji. I have adapted mine to the Panasonic GX7, and I'm pretty pleased with the results (but I may be easy to please).

05-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
Banned

"Fuji's system is great. Love using my Pentax lenses on it".
"Sony's new FF mirrorless system is great too. Love using my FA limiteds on it".

Sound like paradoxical statements indeed.
Isn't it more honest to say both systems are wanting and in fact, worthless?
Use their lenses. Why you want to make them 'better' and more fulfilling by using Pentax lenses?
05-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
"Sony's new FF mirrorless system is great too. Love using my FA limiteds on it".

Use their lenses. Why you want to make them 'better' and more fulfilling by using Pentax lenses?
But Uluru, look where you are.

A Pentax owners forum.

These people are using glass they've paid good money for over the years on another manufacturer's body, accepting the inconvenience of adaptors, MF and so on. This is their right, surely.

The lenses would supplement Sony's own diverse (but varied in quality) lens range and Fuji's excellent but expensive offerings.

I myself am very happy with Pentax glass on a NEX 7 when I decide to not carry my K-30, and want to use the cr@p kit lens it came with as little as possible.

If I was fortunate enough to have an FA 77, I'd be proud to use it on anything, and wouldn't regard doing so as the act of treason you think it is.

Last edited by clackers; 05-10-2014 at 10:29 PM.
05-10-2014, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster

That's pretty much the stupidest statement I've seen you make...which is very impressive because you make them so often.

05-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
That's pretty much the stupidest statement I've seen you make...which is very impressive because you make them so often.
Someone should curate a collection. They can be looked back upon fondly.
05-11-2014, 07:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just to be clear, I am NOT calling him stupid, just his comments. I am not making a personal attack :/
05-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
Banned

Just to be clear, I am NOT calling him stupid, just his comments. I am not making a personal attack :/
How smart would it be to claim Pentax is such a great system if use a K-3 and, say, Canon lenses on it?
In terms of understanding of the OP, that would mean the opposite, or, a confirmation of how splendid Pentax system is, because it can use all these fantastic Canon long zooms. Is not that downright pathetic?

But lets face it; all modern mirrorless systems are wanting because they have zero heritage. They are made to borrow from others. Attributes we are honouring them with are silly, because those systems lack not in sheer camera raw power, but in lens heritage, in photography history heritage. How many memorable and life- and history- changing photographs were made with Fuji's X system, and how many with Pentax's K-system? So if I am to use grand Pentax lenses on a Fuji X camera, it does not make Fuji's system great. In 15-20 years, well yes, maybe that system will be great.

But now it is the opposite of it: it is lacking, because it is new, and most likely we shall never see the quality of craftsmanship and material in any new Fuji lens as we have witnessed it in the Pentax FA Ltd series. Fuji's lenses cannot compare in quality of manufacture even with DA Limited lenses. Their plasticky feel can only compare to ordinary DA lenses, yes, there they can.

So if one calls a system great, I would expect such a person buying into it entirely: cameras AND lenses AND dedicated accessories. I have tried both, Pentax and Fuji system cameras and lenses respectfully: NOT mixing them together, like, using Pentax lenses on Fuji’s cameras to deceive myself by borrowing Pentax traits to then “discover new virtues” of the Fuji’s system which are non-existent.

I can say Fuji’s system is fine but incomplete, fragile and not robust, and the quality of individual components of the system is not comparable to Pentax quality. Because Pentax has certain history's landmarks and milestones to uphold, Fuji has none.

In certain aspects of image processing Fuji shines through, granting users with really nice, instantly likeable JPEGs. However, Pentax system is of better overall hardware quality, more robust, leaving more expressive freedom and is of fairly broader use.

Last edited by Uluru; 05-12-2014 at 07:21 PM.
05-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whatever ....

JP
05-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

But lets face it; all modern mirrorless systems are wanting because they have zero heritage.
(Laughs).

I think many people select gear on the basis of its current capability, Uluru, rather than its glorious past.

Flawed logic, I know!

Last edited by clackers; 05-13-2014 at 05:55 PM.
05-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Took you about a day to top yourself.
Nicely done.
QuoteQuote:
How smart would it be to claim Pentax is such a great system if use a K-3 and, say, Canon lenses on it?
In terms of understanding of the OP, that would mean the opposite, or, a confirmation of how splendid Pentax system is, because it can use all these fantastic Canon long zooms. Is not that downright pathetic?

But lets face it; all modern mirrorless systems are wanting because they have zero heritage. They are made to borrow from others. Attributes we are honouring them with are silly, because those systems lack not in sheer camera raw power, but in lens heritage, in photography history heritage. How many memorable and life- and history- changing photographs were made with Fuji's X system, and how many with Pentax's K-system? So if I am to use grand Pentax lenses on a Fuji X camera, it does not make Fuji's system great. In 15-20 years, yes, maybe it will be great.

But now it is the opposite of it: it is lacking, because it is new, and most likely we shall never see the quality of craftsmanship and material in any new Fuji lens as we have witnessed it in the Pentax FA Ltd series. Fuji's lenses cannot compare in quality of manufacture even with DA Limited lenses. Their plasticky feel can only compare to ordinary DA lenses, yes, there they can.

So if one calls a system great, I would expect such a person buying into it entirely: cameras AND lenses AND dedicated accessories. I have tried both, Pentax and Fuji system cameras and lenses respectfully: NOT mixing them together, like, using Pentax lenses on Fuji’s cameras to deceive myself by borrowing Pentax traits to then “discover new virtues” of the Fuji’s system which are non-existent.

I can say Fuji’s system is fine but incomplete, fragile and not robust, and the quality of individual components of the system is not comparable to Pentax quality. In certain aspects of image processing Fuji shines through, granting users with really nice, instantly likeable JPEGs. However, Pentax system is of better overall quality, more robust, leaving more expressive freedom and is of fairly broader use.

How is it different than adapting 50 year old lenses by a company (Asahi) that doesn't exist anymore? Or using third party lenses because of the huge gaps in their lens lineup?
05-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

In film days a camera was a box that held a film at the back and a lens at the front. The sensor was the film and was the same regardless of camera used.

It was all about the lens.

In digital the sensors differ in cameras, so different systems offer a different sensor as well as different lenses.

Its now about sensor and lens working together.

Get a camera body you like, stick a lens on it you like. Heritage means nothing, do what works, make art.
05-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Amen...

(apparently `Amen' by itself is too short to post)