Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2014, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sony A7 vs NEX6+LenTurbo

I have been using Sony NEX 5n/6 with LensTurbo for quite some time and I am very happy with it. Recency I was planning to get A7 & hence, before pulling the trigger, went to Sony store along with NEX-6+LensTurbo+M50/f1.4 to see how it compares against A7+M50/f1.4.

While Sony A7 is a great camera with superior image quality, it really made me appreciate what I currently have. While LT has slight crop factor over A7, it held ground so well against A7 that I decided to hold my decision for now. Definitely, A7 has slight advantage in resolution and noise area, but not significant considering I mostly used for fun & publishing on web and occasional not so large prints. Also, NEX6 & 5n are lot lighter than A7 which really feels hefty.

Following are two sets of sample images, first A7 and then NEX-6+LT, both the images were shot handheld so some minor difference in point of focus:

A7+M50 ISO 100

NEX6+LT+M50 ISO100

A7+M50 ISO 400

NEX6+LT+M50 ISO400

Please share your thoughts!!!

05-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Were these shot in RAW and processed the same, or JPEG? There is a notable difference in contrast. The A7 is a really nice camera, and the menu alone is worth considering the upgrade, but it's a lot of money when you have something that works well already.
05-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
osv
Veteran Member

that type of shooting, where the center of the picture is the only point of interest, skews the comparison towards the lensturbo considerably.

if i were you i'd dump the lensturbo, and use those cheap sigma lenses instead... they have xlnt resolution, and you won't be faced with the distortion/resolution hit that you get with the cheap lensturbo.
05-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen the large blue dot in the center of a few of my Lens Turbo photos which makes me want to upgrade. Other than that, I agree it's quite a capable combo with my K and M lenses. Do you see the blue dot, and if so, how do you get rid of it?

05-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Were these shot in RAW and processed the same, or JPEG? There is a notable difference in contrast. The A7 is a really nice camera, and the menu alone is worth considering the upgrade, but it's a lot of money when you have something that works well already.
All were shot in raw @f1.4. BTW, I somehow found a7 underexposing for some reasons.

---------- Post added 05-14-14 at 05:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
that type of shooting, where the center of the picture is the only point of interest, skews the comparison towards the lensturbo considerably.

if i were you i'd dump the lensturbo, and use those cheap sigma lenses instead... they have xlnt resolution, and you won't be faced with the distortion/resolution hit that you get with the cheap lensturbo.
I agree, i have sigma 19/30 and they are excellent but for the portraits kind of shot, I somehow prefer LT for FF perspective. I don't find any resolution hit, though it amplifies distortion, hardly noticeable in such shots.

---------- Post added 05-14-14 at 05:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I've seen the large blue dot in the center of a few of my Lens Turbo photos which makes me want to upgrade. Other than that, I agree it's quite a capable combo with my K and M lenses. Do you see the blue dot, and if so, how do you get rid of it?
I read about it in couple of discussions but I haven't noticed in my shots. Is there any particular situation under which you see blue dot? I can then try to reproduce.
05-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The blue dot occurs when shooting into a light source and with a small aperture.
05-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I might be nuts, but I think i like the background blur of the lensturbo better...
05-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I might be nuts, but I think i like the background blur of the lensturbo better...
I got this same impression too.

However, on closer inspection, I think the LT samples also look softer.

Store shot - look at the text on the PS3 games boxes.

Boy's portrait - look at how the collar area of the shirt

05-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I meant how do you get rid of the blue dot after the fact.
05-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Store shot - look at the text on the PS3 games boxes.
Actually the focus point in different in store image, if you see the corner AA charger in A7 shot, it's out of focus while it's in focus in LT.

There is indeed some crispiness in A7 shots which do you think possibly due to the higher a7 resolution? Possibly the reason why LT showing more out of focus rendering. It might be on par if compared against nex7+LT

I agree about boys portrait, at ISO 400 Nex seems to have lost advantage slightly.

---------- Post added 05-14-14 at 08:41 AM ----------

I never faced that problem so far, possibly because I mostly shoot at large apertures, f1.4-4
05-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If you're lucky you can clone it out, otherwise there isn't much you can do about it.