Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #61
Veteran Member

I think folks missed the part in the press release about the modified AF of the A7 A7r:

QuoteQuote:
The camera is also equipped with the same high-precision Fast Intelligent AF system as the α7R camera, with drastically improved low-light AF sensitivity that can go as low as -4EV
For the speed readers - it says "drastically improved lowlight AF sensitivity....-4ev". As we all know this is slightly better than the K3's -3ev.

So its the same AF system as the other A7's but "drastically improved"

I disagree with those that say existing low light performance is "good enough". Its never good enough in stills or video, IMO.

05-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I've heard that the shutter is loud. Would that spook the animals?
Funny nobody mentioned yet that the A7s has a special silent mode, in which only the electronic shutter is used: (UPDATED) Surprise: Sony A7s has full electronic shutter! | sonyalpharumors

Without the longer lenses I don't know about wildlife. But imagine shooting in a dark theater, wedding, graduation, ballet or ceremony without the disturbing flash or shutter sound.

Sorry for making the ontopic comment. Please continue...

Last edited by Clavius; 05-22-2014 at 12:22 AM.
05-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Its an interesting camera. I don't know what to think about 12MPs. Part of me wants more, but the rational part knows that I shot with a Canon 5D for 3 years and loved it. The 5D and D700 were/are excellent cameras with excellent IQ.
05-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Why not save money and get the A7R, Winder? Do you take a lot of video?

05-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Why not save money and get the A7R, Winder? Do you take a lot of video?
I won't be buying either until I see more lenses. I'm hoping for more FF or MF mirrorless options in the near future.
05-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I won't be buying either until I see more lenses. I'm hoping for more FF or MF mirrorless options in the near future.
Latest unsubstantiated rumor is that Fuji will be doing a (edit) MF mirrorless.

The sony doesn't have many lenses, though, that's for sure.

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 05-20-2014 at 03:55 PM.
05-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Wow this thread went way off track..was only about creative possibilities of low light nature/ wildlife images...we don't know about the AF till its tested,but for me the chance to capture what happens in the dark/almost dark for little money is what is interesting .Since I don't have a thermal imaging camera(well flir is almost out soon) like BBC Nature films do,this Sony could probably get some amazing night activity.(ok lets the jokes roll ).. using wifi remote etc... one can put any lens on it & zone focus
just wish Pentax would use this sensor & tweak it in a K5II ish body(tank build)

05-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Latest unsubstantiated rumor is that Fuji will be doing a FF mirrorless.

The sony doesn't have many lenses, though, that's for sure.
The current rumor is the Fuji will skip FF and go for a MF mirrorless.
05-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #69
Veteran Member

The current rumor is the Fuji will skip FF and go for a MF mirrorless.
Whoops! That's what I meant to say. Editing...
06-21-2014, 12:26 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Seems like it would be the worst of the three. The low-light capability isn't going to be any better than the A7 or the A7R. I guess the framerate might be a bit higher, if that's your thing in wildlife photography.
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Marketing ISO (aka max ISO) is a far, far cry from usable ISO...
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
The main selling point for Sony A7s is 4K video.
The camera itself isn't all that exciting. I'm more interested in the sensor and what other manufacturers can do with it.
Here you go, skeptics: Sony Alpha 7S added to test scene comparison tool: Digital Photography Review

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
You shouldn't assume there won't be an improvement in high-ISO noise. In fact it's more reasonable to assume it will have better high-ISO performance for stills.

Nikon's 16MP D4s has about a 1.5 stop high-ISO noise advantage over the a7 and a7R. That's because they engineered it that way. It has a max ISO of 409600, the highest of any camera. Now Sony's a7S will have the same max ISO of 409600, in contrast to the 25600 of the a7, a7R, D800, and D800e. It would be foolish of Sony to allow such a high ISO without significantly improving the low-light performance compared to the other a7 models. Besides, what other selling point could a 12MP FF have - especially one that doesn't appear to be oriented towards sports?

Even considering Sony's history of not quite matching Nikon and Pentax' high-ISO performance on their sensors, its smaller 12MP sensor (a resolution that worked quite well for the Nikon D3S) and Sony's reported "on-sensor NR technology" should enable performance equal to the D4s and D3S. 2 stops improvement is possible; 3 stops would be optimistic.
Wow - it even met my most optimistic hopes - approx. 3 stops improvement in high ISO performance compared to the A7R! Nearly 1.5 stops better than the Nikon D4s!

Last edited by DSims; 06-21-2014 at 12:42 AM.
06-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Already saw it, but the gloating was fun.

Still far more than I expected. I didn't think they were going to improve the fundamental sensor; the last time we saw an improvement in noise was 2010!

Kudos to Sony, look forward to seeing the tech on other sensors...
06-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #72
Banned

A7s, 5D MKIII, DF, A7r @ 3200 iso

@50iso :

Last edited by jogiba; 06-21-2014 at 08:19 AM.
06-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I looked at it and to be honest, if I used the "print" button (the only fair way to compare cameras of vastly different pixel numbers), I have difficulty telling the difference between them. It certainly wasn't a whole lot better than the D800 or Nikon D4. What you see in Jogiba's screen grab is a whole lot less detail at low iso and equivalent at high iso.
06-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I looked at it and to be honest, if I used the "print" button (the only fair way to compare cameras of vastly different pixel numbers), I have difficulty telling the difference between them. It certainly wasn't a whole lot better than the D800 or Nikon D4. What you see in Jogiba's screen grab is a whole lot less detail at low iso and equivalent at high iso.
It sounds like you didn't actually print, but even if you did it's irrelevant because most photos aren't destined for print.

3200 isn't high ISO anymore -
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
A7s, 5D MKIII, DF, A7r @ 3200 iso
I'm not even sure what his point was!

We seem to bypass one of the most important points here - 3 stops better high ISO performance means 3 stops higher shutter speed, which means less motion blur. It's nearly impossible to recover from motion blur (and what little you can do creates horrible artifacts most of the time). You can't fix motion blur by "downsampling" in order to get what appears to be equivalent noise. And don't forget, direct JPEG output is still critical in many applications.
06-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Everyone screams that you're wrong beforehand, but nobody admits you were right afterward.