Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony A7s wildlife shooter's dream?

Hi who is thinking of getting the A7s for wildlife,nature work?? if the low light capabilities are what they say,then the perfect tool for animals who prefer the darkness & landscapes just after sunsets
any comments or suggestions welcome..I know its just hypothetical til next month when released,but to me it seems perfect. Like the D700 on steroids or something

05-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think you might still get better low-light AF from a DSLR. But from an imaging perspective, it would certainly work wonders!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's almost like the a7S is made more for video, and it's expensive, but I believe it's an extremely impressive low-light performer.
05-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know its being promoted as a 4G cam(with extra equip.) but if it has a very useable ISO 6400-12.800 then I can get shots of the deer here just before sunrise, price may only be $1800 if rumors hold true
would MF with it in low light, as would use OM or Pentax lenses

05-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I've heard that the shutter is loud. Would that spook the animals?
05-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
I know its being promoted as a 4G cam(with extra equip.) but if it has a very useable ISO 6400-12.800 then I can get shots of the deer here just before sunrise, price may only be $1800 if rumors hold true
I guess I haven't been keeping up with the pricing rumors - I thought it was initially believed it might be the most expensive of the three a7 models.

---------- Post added 05-15-14 at 09:31 PM ----------

Just in ... here you go!

Sony announces pricing and availability for Alpha 7S: Digital Photography Review
05-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Seems like it would be the worst of the three. The low-light capability isn't going to be any better than the A7 or the A7R. I guess the framerate might be a bit higher, if that's your thing in wildlife photography.

05-15-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Seems like it would be the worst of the three. The low-light capability isn't going to be any better than the A7 or the A7R. I guess the framerate might be a bit higher, if that's your thing in wildlife photography.
I guess you haven't seen Sony's promo video! The low-light video capability of this camera is amazing!
05-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I've heard that the shutter is loud. Would that spook the animals?
It's a lot louder than K-5 and K-3 but only a tad louder than the FF cameras from Canikon, and that never seems to stop wildlifers from using them.
05-15-2014, 11:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

While the a7S is the most expensive of the 3 models, as I thought it would be, it's actually less expensive than I expected. So if you really need it I'd say it's affordable.
05-16-2014, 12:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The DxoMark of the A7s should be interesting.
05-16-2014, 01:14 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I guess you haven't seen Sony's promo video! The low-light video capability of this camera is amazing!
A7s is better for video as it use all pixels on the sensor when capturing video. Higher resolution sensors usually don't use all pixels when recording video so they have higher noise in video.
But when capturing images all cameras use all pixels, so noise will not differ much.

For wildlife shooting I don't want to use EVF as it drains the battery much faster.
05-16-2014, 02:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
But when capturing images all cameras use all pixels, so noise will not differ much.
You shouldn't assume there won't be an improvement in high-ISO noise. In fact it's more reasonable to assume it will have better high-ISO performance for stills.

Nikon's 16MP D4s has about a 1.5 stop high-ISO noise advantage over the a7 and a7R. That's because they engineered it that way. It has a max ISO of 409600, the highest of any camera. Now Sony's a7S will have the same max ISO of 409600, in contrast to the 25600 of the a7, a7R, D800, and D800e. It would be foolish of Sony to allow such a high ISO without significantly improving the low-light performance compared to the other a7 models. Besides, what other selling point could a 12MP FF have - especially one that doesn't appear to be oriented towards sports?

Even considering Sony's history of not quite matching Nikon and Pentax' high-ISO performance on their sensors, its smaller 12MP sensor (a resolution that worked quite well for the Nikon D3S) and Sony's reported "on-sensor NR technology" should enable performance equal to the D4s and D3S. 2 stops improvement is possible; 3 stops would be optimistic.

---------- Post added 05-16-14 at 02:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
For wildlife shooting I don't want to use EVF as it drains the battery much faster.
You've haven't heard of spare batteries? If you can afford an a7S, you can buy a few batteries for it. Much cheaper than getting a D4s, BTW.

We have the most amazing technology of all time at our fingertips, and suddenly we can't fathom changing a battery!?

Last edited by DSims; 05-16-2014 at 02:29 AM.
05-16-2014, 02:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Nikon's 16MP D4s has about a 1.5 stop high-ISO noise advantage over the a7 and a7R. That's because they engineered it that way. It has a max ISO of 409600, the highest of any camera. Now Sony's a7S will have the same max ISO of 409600, in contrast to the 25600 of the a7, a7R, D800, and D800e. It would be foolish of Sony to allow such a high ISO without significantly improving the low-light performance compared to the other a7 models.
Marketing ISO (aka max ISO) is a far, far cry from usable ISO...
05-16-2014, 02:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Marketing ISO (aka max ISO) is a far, far cry from useable ISO...
Why do you think I said 1.5 to 2 stops (compared to 4 on the spec sheet)?

How much improvement do you think they'll show?