Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #16
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Does the X-A1 have a VF ? Is it pocket size like the RX100 III ?
Are those two things enough to justify the cost when a superior camera can be had for less than half the price with a sensor that is 3X larger?

05-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Are those two things enough to justify the cost when a superior camera can be had for less than half the price with a sensor that is 3X larger?
The way the previous RX100S have sold, yes, it is enough.
05-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I lost my RX100...but my wife wont let me replace it
I think that is a real drawback of such a small camera. If you put it down, it isnt immediately apparent that you don't have it. A DSLR on the other hand, if you put it down, you know that you aren't carrying it anymore.
They are expensive enough that you might consider stitching it to your body and using an underwater camera bag in the shower.
05-20-2014, 04:47 AM   #19
Banned

The APS-C Sony a6000 is light years better than the APS-C X-A1 Fuji and the guys at Camera Store TV call the new RX100 III the best compact camera ever produced.

QuoteQuote:
Honestly, I can’t think of any other pocket-sized camera that can slightly give the latest RX100 a run for it’s money. This sounds like a paid endorsement, but in my opinion, the RX100 MK III is the best compact camera ever produced.
Sony RX100 Mk III First Impressions

05-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #20
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
...the guys at Camera Store TV call the new RX100 III the best compact camera ever produced.
They can call it what they want, the bottom line is $900 is way too much for a small camera with a small sensor that has very limited telephoto range, especially in view of the fact that there is a plethora of far better and more capable cameras for much less money.

As for the Sony A6000, as nice as it is, emount lenses vs Fuji lenses? No contest.
05-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #21
Banned

They can call it what they want, the bottom line is $900 is way too much for a small camera with a small sensor that has very limited telephoto range, especially in view of the fact that there is a plethora of far better and more capable cameras for much less money.

As for the Sony A6000, as nice as it is, emount lenses vs Fuji lenses? No contest.
The bottom line is the RX100 is the hottest selling pocket size camera and the new RX100 III is a game changer with
20.1 megapixel 1"-type Exmor R BSI-CMOS sensor
24-70mm equiv. F1.8-2.8 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens
Pop-up SVGA OLED electronic viewfinder with 1.44M dots
3-inch tilting WhiteMagic LCD with 1.23M dots
1080/60p video with full sensor readout and 50Mbps XAVC S support
Clean HDMI output
Zebra pattern and focus peaking
Customizable front lens ring
3-stop neutral density filter
Wi-Fi with NFC and downloadable apps
The are a myriad of low cost small APS-C mirrorless cameras with no viewfinder so if that is what you want then get it but don't try to compare it with the RX100 III.

QuoteQuote:
Note on Availability: Due to high demand we anticipate being unable to fulfill all customer orders with our first allocation. Product supply from Sony is very limited. Your place in line will be maintained and your credit card will not be charged until the product is shipped.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSC-RX100M-Cyber-shot-Digital-Camera/dp/B00K7O2DJ...rds=Sony+RX100
05-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #22
JHD
Veteran Member

Hey man, whatever works for you. You come across like a Sony shill--I couldn't care less about how popular it (or anything for that matter) is with the sheeple. Call it a 'game changer' or whatever makes you happy, but it's still a small camera with a small sensor that can't reach beyond 70mm. $900 is ridiculous. I'd rather have the option to buy it without the VF for $350-$400 less.

05-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #23
Banned

Hey man, whatever works for you. You come across like a Sony shill--I couldn't care less about how popular it (or anything for that matter) is with the sheeple. Call it a 'game changer' or whatever makes you happy, but it's still a small camera with a small sensor that can't reach beyond 70mm. $900 is ridiculous. I'd rather have the option to buy it without the VF for $350-$400 less.
The APS-C Sony NEX-3N with 16-50mm OSS power zoom lens is the worlds smallest APS-C system camera and was selling for $299 at B&H so it's better than that Fuji that cost twice as much.
05-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Actually, in the US, the price is 799. They're still selling the version II, which has a longer reach and costs less. I think it's probably an OK deal, for what it is, a truly pocket-able camera. The results are pretty spectacular. It is the king of point and shoots, no doubt, but is it worth the premium? To some it is and to you and me, I'd rather have my NEX 6, if I had to choose.
05-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
$900 is ridiculous. I'd rather have the option to buy it without the VF for $350-$400 less.
Good news!

Amazon.com : Sony DSC-RX100/B 20.2 MP Exmor CMOS Sensor Digital Camera with 3.6x Zoom : Point And Shoot Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo

And it has been on the market for over 2 years.

At the end of the day, people buy the camera which fits their needs. If this one doesn't fit yours, dont buy it.

Jason
06-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
It is the king of point and shoots, no doubt, but is it worth the premium? To some it is and to you and me, I'd rather have my NEX 6, if I had to choose.
I don't see why people are getting so bent out of shape about the price. Miniaturization of technology has always commanded a price premium. The price would only be out of line if there were other cameras of similar size, features, and quality that were much less expensive. But to the best of my knowledge, there is none.

And besides, it doesn't have to be an "either/or" proposition. I have the DSLR with all the big lenses, but for times when I just don't want to lug a big camera around, I'm happy to have my RX100 II available, as well as my Olympus XZ-1 (which actually out-performs the RX100 at lower ISO's due to the amazing lens).
06-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I don't see why people are getting so bent out of shape about the price. Miniaturization of technology has always commanded a price premium. The price would only be out of line if there were other cameras of similar size, features, and quality that were much less expensive. But to the best of my knowledge, there is none.

And besides, it doesn't have to be an "either/or" proposition. I have the DSLR with all the big lenses, but for times when I just don't want to lug a big camera around, I'm happy to have my RX100 II available, as well as my Olympus XZ-1 (which actually out-performs the RX100 at lower ISO's due to the amazing lens).
This.

To be honest, my DSLR almost never gets used because of its size. When I take my 2 year old son places, I can't keep him in order And carry a DSLR in addition to other items that I need to bring, it's just impractical. I am a single parent so I don't have another person around to be able to help watch a child and/or carry stuff. Because of this I end up taking pictures with my cell phone, which are mediocre at best.

When it comes to photography, size CAN be everything.

I think the RX100 is worth its asking price. To be honest i've considered selling my K-5ii to get an RX100 II because I just don't pull the DSLR out of the closet enough.