Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2014, 05:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Advice? DA 15/4 Ltd. on Olympus m4/3 body via adapter

Greetings. I have a DA 15mm/4 Limited on the way here and also own the DA 70mm/2.4. One objective I have is to use these on my Olympus E-PL5/VF-4 body via an aperture-controlling adapter such as the Fotodiox. I think I have all the basics down thoroughly, but I'd appreciate any additional useful tips from experience the experimentally inclined could offer which may have escaped my attention.

But first and foremost, I wonder if any of you have tried the DA 15 this way? Specifically, how satisfactory do think this lens will be as a FF-"equivalent" 30mm MF lens for the smaller m4/3 sensor? I'm very IQ oriented and would expect to work slowly with suitable subjects. This is a bit tricky, I think, since that format plainly suits fast lenses in order to avoid IQ degradation due to diffraction. Thanks! -- Fred

05-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I have used the DA 15 this way. The IQ was pretty solid.

The FA Limiteds were awesome on it though.
05-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Yes, I have used the DA 15 this way. The IQ was pretty solid.

The FA Limiteds were awesome on it though.
Thanks; that's good news. "Pretty solid" sounds fine for the adjunct/go-light use I would put it to as a complement to my K3. I'm guessing around f.5.6 would be the best IQ setting (??).

I'd even say the fields of view yielded on m4/3 with the FA 43 and FA 77 would be more useful and natural to many than those produced on the K3. I'll file your micro-review on this aspect of the FA Limited's performance securely into my cranial hard drive!
05-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I always shot it wide open. The aperture ring on the Fotidox has an incredibly short throw and fine tuning the aperture or even knowing exactly what aperture its set at is just guess work when it comes to the DA lenses.

The fun stuff with the OMD is when you mount up older M lenses the 75-150 f4 was a blast and I loved using that lens on my E5, especially for street shooting with some crazy reach. the IBIS 5 worked wonders with it. I used it a lot more than I ever did on my native K mount cameras digital or film. The optical quality of K mount on that camera was great.

I think my most used was the FA 43mm. The 86mm equivalent focal length was a great portrait lens and was a lot of fun to use. the FA 31mm was odd for a 62mm, and I just ended up using the 25mm f1.4 Panasonic Leica instead as it was one of the best lenses I've ever owned. The FA 77 which is my overall favourite lens I've ever used/owned was a lot of fun, especially at the 154mm which is a a really enjoyable focal length for me.

If you like Tele style lengths the system is a lot of fun. At the end of the day I sold mine because I wanted to buy the Nikon 135mm f2.0 DC for my D800 (which is easily became #3 in my top lenses). I do miss the camera and the system, but I think I'll be going with the XT-1 to have a nice small compact mirror-less.

05-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I always shot it wide open. The aperture ring on the Fotidox has an incredibly short throw and fine tuning the aperture or even knowing exactly what aperture its set at is just guess work when it comes to the DA lenses.
Oh, what a bummer. I was hoping to use that adapter... Will the novoflex be any better? but 10 times the price!
05-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes I would assume so. There is nothing wrong with the Fotidox. Just wish there was more travel for aperture. Thankfully there are no optics in it
06-06-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I just bought a Panasonic GM1 micro 4/3 body. I want to use my DA limited primes on it as well as my film-era lenses that have aperture rings like Sigma 24mm f/2.8 super-wide II, smc-F 28mm, FA 35mm, FA 43mm, and FA 50mm. Do I need to buy two different adapters-- one that has an aperture control dial, and one that does not? Or will the adapter with an aperture control dial still allow me to use the aperture ring on my FA lenses?

PS, this is the model I'm thinking of getting: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter Pentax K AF Lens to MFT Mount Mirrorless Camera w/ Aperture Control Dial
https://www.fotodioxpro.com/pentax-k-lens-to-mft-system-camera-lens-mount-ad...trol-dial.html

Or should I get this cheaper one that doesn't have an aperture control?
http://www.amazon.com/RainbowImaging-K-mount-Adapter-Panasonic-USD24-99/dp/B...1236235&sr=8-2

Do I need to buy both if I want to use both DA and FA primes on my micro-4/3 camera body?

Thanks for your help!! And sorry to resurrect such an old thread.

06-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
But first and foremost, I wonder if any of you have tried the DA 15 this way?
Curiously, I finally using the DA 15 on my EM-5 this past weekend (I've owned the adapter for over a year and a half). My copy of the DA 15 is just a bit soft wide open, but it sharpens up quite a bit stopped down. Nonetheless, the lens doesn't seem to be quite as magical on the EM-5 as it is on a Pentax DSLR. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the thicker sensor stack of the EM-5 or the fact that the EM-5 is not exactly designed to get the most out of the lens. But while the lens performed decently I wasn't blown away by what I saw. The colors were somewhat different from what I'm used to from the lens. I wasn't seeing those Pentax greens and blues.

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Or should I get this cheaper one that doesn't have an aperture control?
Not if you want to use your DA lenses on the GM1. Incidentally, the DA lenses make more sense on m43 because (1) they're smaller, and (2) they tend to be wider. The DA 15 becomes a solid wide angle choice and the DA 21 becomes a true normal.

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Do I need to buy both if I want to use both DA and FA primes on my micro-4/3 camera body?
No. Just ignore the aperture control dial (i.e., keep it wide open) when using FA primes.
06-07-2016, 04:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Not if you want to use your DA lenses on the GM1. Incidentally, the DA lenses make more sense on m43 because (1) they're smaller, and (2) they tend to be wider. The DA 15 becomes a solid wide angle choice and the DA 21 becomes a true normal.
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
No. Just ignore the aperture control dial (i.e., keep it wide open) when using FA primes.
Thanks for your help! I'll go ahead and get the Fotodiox adapter with aperture control dial. Can't wait to give it a try with my K-mount lenses!