Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2014, 11:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Low priced rangefinder film camera recommendation?

I have been toying with the idea of getting a rangefinder style film camera to play around with and learn. Can anyone offer a recommendation? My budget would be $50 tops. I was thinking of a Petri 7S because of its battery-less selenium based metering system. Ideally I would love to try a half-frame system but from what I understand that starts costing some serious money.

Thanks!

05-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #2

The performance seem nice:
Petri 7
but if need service, given the value of the camera, could be not cost-effective ...

Note:
Selenium based metering system aren't eternal then I would not give too much importance to this parameter.
05-26-2014, 12:04 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Olympus XA? The original was a rangefinder.
05-26-2014, 12:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a Minolta HI MATIC 11 rangefinder that is 40 years old and still works as it should and takes fine pictures. You can get one for very cheap on ebay, probably less than 50$.
On the downside it is quite bulky and doesn't offer much control other than shutter priority up to 1/500 (I'm not aware of the characteristics of similar models as HI MATIC 7 etc.)

05-26-2014, 12:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Olympus XA? The original was a rangefinder.
This ^ I've got an original XA and it's a beautiful little camera, the lens is sharp and contrasty enough and it's ludcrously small, not much bigger than a pack of cards. Operation is simple and I have a lot of fun shooting with it
05-26-2014, 02:29 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I have been toying with the idea of getting a rangefinder style film camera to play around with and learn. Can anyone offer a recommendation? My budget would be $50 tops. I was thinking of a Petri 7S because of its battery-less selenium based metering system. Ideally I would love to try a half-frame system but from what I understand that starts costing some serious money.

Thanks!
I've been playing around with a Voigtländer Vitomatic II (ca. 1958) with a fixed 50mm f2.8 lens of my granddad and a roll Kodak Ektar this weekend. Looks like the selenium light meter still works, giving plausible exposure values. If I'm not wrong those small yet heavy cameras sell for around 50 Euros, perhaps less in the US. I don't know the results just yet, but people say the optics are quite good...
05-26-2014, 03:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Zorki cameras are cheap.

I have a Zorki-4 that I paid just under $50 for, good working order with original case.

I also have a Zorki-5 I paid $15 for, but it's VERY rough and needed a bit of work.

Get a good one and it will last ages, just make sure to download and read the manual, there are some funny things with them that can cause damage (setting shutter speed before winding)

Zorki-4 uses standard 35mm film, but Zorki-5 and I think the earlier ones need the old style long leader film (you can just trim normal film)

05-26-2014, 05:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

These are my three rangefinders that I use - Olympus Trip 35 - classic , rugged solid and reliable camera - never let's down , no need for batteries, good metering with little extra compensation with ISO setting.
Olympus 35RC - another excellent performer - fully featured with full manual control, aperture and shutter speed selectable , also auto mode - good battery life - overall I use it the most - almost always loaded with some BW film. Kiev 4a - my very first serious camera , the best overall image quality, very accurate meter - over 35 years old and still I can rely on it. I took some of my top favoured portraits with this lens and this camera. Rarely used now - requires time, patience and celebration.. also not that pocketable as two previous - but if I had only one to pick - this Kiev would be my camera of choice - otherwise I would always take Olympus 35 RC - fully featured with great lens. Below a quick shot of my three rangefinders.
' >' manntax

05-26-2014, 05:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The only rangefinder I have or have used is a Yashica Electro GTN. There are a lot of similar Yashica models out there and they're all similar. While it's not my favourite camera and I prefer SLRs & TLRs to rangefinders, a lot of people love it and it's certainly capable of great shots. The 45mm f/1.7 lens is very sharp. The cameras are plentiful and cheap on the used market so are probably a good place to start with rangefinders. Be aware you may need an adapter to get a battery to fit it though, but they can be bought quite cheaply.
05-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an XA and a Yashica Electro GSN (it came with the analog OVF attachment I bought for my K-01). Both are fun, but both have issues. The focusing patch on my XA has gotten a bit dim and the Electros can suffer from a degraded rubber pad in the shutter release. Mark Hama can

Rangefinder Forum is a good place to read.
05-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

These two Konicas are good performers; the big one at least uses mercury batteries so you have to adjust the ASA on the meter to compensate, the C35 that I have works fine with modern batteries

In general if you want metering I'd suggest Japanese cameras of approx this age - e.g. the Yashica Electro GSN, some of the Minolta and Canon rangefinders... The High Style Olympuses carry a premium but are nice, I second Chris' suggestion about a scale focus model; though of course you may be looking for the range finder focus experience.
05-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the all the replies and recommendations! They are all great!

I am definitely trying to go after the rangefinder experience as Nester mentioned in his last line of his message. It looks like there's more to choose from than I can shake a stick it. Now I have to ponder all the alternatives and feed my GAS.
05-28-2014, 02:42 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Zorki cameras are cheap.

I have a Zorki-4 that I paid just under $50 for, good working order with original case.

I also have a Zorki-5 I paid $15 for, but it's VERY rough and needed a bit of work.

Get a good one and it will last ages, just make sure to download and read the manual, there are some funny things with them that can cause damage (setting shutter speed before winding)

Zorki-4 uses standard 35mm film, but Zorki-5 and I think the earlier ones need the old style long leader film (you can just trim normal film)
Agreed, the Zorki 4 would be a good choice because
- cheap
- about the best viewfinder of any of the soviet rangefinders, comes fairly close to those Bessas, albeit without framelines
- takes 135 film without the Leica fidgeting, just remove the back, load the cartridge and you're done
- takes m39 lenses, so if you stick with these cameras you can recycle the lenses, or even use them on mirrorless models with adapter
05-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I would go with the Zorki too, wait i have one...they're very durable
05-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Someone once offered me a Zeiss Ikon for free. I declined, but played around a bit and it was very nice - the viewfinder seemed brighter and clearer than Leica.