Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What would you do? X100 repair estimate.

Well I sent my fujifilm X100 in for repairs and the estimate came back around $800 for labour and a lens assembly replacement, it costs $45 to refuse the repairs from my shooting recently I don't see anything in the images other than hokey subjects and RGB lines in the viewfinder. Should I be cheap and refuse or just go ahead and repair knowing original price is $1200 but model is now discontinued but I also have a perfectly new in box X100s sitting on a shelf.
Decisions, decisions ...decisions 😞

05-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would refuse repair and use X100s for now. Put the $800 towards the new model if you can.
05-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
OUCH! That makes an extended warranty look like a pretty darn good deal.

A used X-100 is only worth $500 - $600... so I'd call it a write off and console myself that there people who have suffered bigger losses.
05-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sheesh. Well, you just convinced me to buy an extended warranty when I get a k3.

05-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
lol, well if i did get it repaired then essentially it's a new camera to keep as a working collectible....*positive thinking* but i might just refuse and keep shooting it till it really goes wonky then get it repaired...might be more then

or just get a Ricoh GR
05-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Sheesh. Well, you just convinced me to buy an extended warranty when I get a k3.
And factory extended warrantees for Pentax and Ricoh cameras only cost $20 and your total warranty is three years (two-year extension). They also include one free camera checkup and cleaning/adjustment (the cost of one-way postage, of course). Cracking value. Meanwhile, I agree with those who advise the OP to use his X100s and put the $800 toward the next new camera he wants.
05-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
And factory extended warrantees for Pentax and Ricoh cameras only cost $20 and your total warranty is three years (two-year extension). They also include one free camera checkup and cleaning/adjustment (the cost of one-way postage, of course). Cracking value. Meanwhile, I agree with those who advise the OP to use his X100s and put the $800 toward the next new camera he wants.
I agree. Use the X100s and keep the $800 for the future.

05-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it's for the sticky diaphragm problem I've read Fuji often honors out-of-waranty claims.
In any event I'd call customer service and escalate to a supervisor. You have nothing to lose.

Chris
05-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Chris i just read those myself as it has nothing to do with sticky blades, i just have RGB lines in my viewfinder but the repair form has lens assembly replacement listed? ...BUT i already refused the repair estimate

The camera still takes good images through a variety of conditions ...i don't know why they need to replace the assembly?

I also had a dead battery charger another issue from others reading online ...i'm hoping they freely replace that at least *lol*

I just got back from Japan and used just that camera, no issues whatsoever other than those RGB lines which doesn't affect the image.

So i'll just pay the $45+taxes and call it a day.
05-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
The camera still takes good images
Then the solution is easy - keep shooting, and just learn to ignore the lines in the viewfinder. That's what I'd do.

The issue you report has always worried me about the long-term viability of EVF's (and rear-LCD's). At least with an optical viewfinder, the image you see won't die away over time. But I guess if the EVF may have durability issues over time, so may the digital camera sensor.
05-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Then the solution is easy - keep shooting, and just learn to ignore the lines in the viewfinder. That's what I'd do.

The issue you report has always worried me about the long-term viability of EVF's (and rear-LCD's). At least with an optical viewfinder, the image you see won't die away over time. But I guess if the EVF may have durability issues over time, so may the digital camera sensor.

Yes, i plan to just keep shooting with it, it's a hybrid viewfinder optical and electronic...i thought it may be just be the sensor? as the lines show up in both finders and yes i've been ignoring too long as it went out of warranty 2011 purchase...2 y warranty.

I am hoping to see the Fuji- guys again *hoping* maybe they can help me out
05-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just came back...got a new battery instaed of a replacement charger, tech said nothing is wrong with the charger? oh well.
05-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #13
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Hi Chris i just read those myself as it has nothing to do with sticky blades, i just have RGB lines in my viewfinder but the repair form has lens assembly replacement listed? ...i don't know why they need to replace the assembly?
Okay, that is really bizarre. They didn't say what is wrong with the lens assembly or why it needs to be replaced? I bet that accounts for the lions share of the $800 estimate. Maybe they confused your work order with someone else's.
05-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No didn't state why but that's the first thing I tested myself And images are excellent. Yes assembly $500~, labour $300~

I usually take the tech's experience as gold but this time no as nothing is wrong with the final image being produce and the blades are not sticking but for a closed system changing the assembly would be the quickest and easiest fix for digital. It's not like the old analog where an actual mechanism can be found at fault.
06-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Roob-N-Boots Quote
I would refuse repair and use X100s for now. Put the $800 towards the new model if you can.
Totally agree just had a similar issue with my HS20EXR if fixed something else could go wrong so I decided to take the payout and put towards a new lens.