Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3079 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #1741
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two more. Sorry it's been so hot the squirrels are hiding in the trees trying to stay cool.

08-11-2017, 06:27 AM - 2 Likes   #1742
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
"I'm excited, I heard sap may flow tomorrow!"

"We love that sap!"

Regards! ....Sap pictures later???
08-11-2017, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #1743
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I goofed Rupert. Last month the grocery store was having a sale on their brand sap. I bought two jars. Squirrels won't eat it except as a last resort, when the sunflower seeds run out. I'm on the last jar of that and since then I've bought the Jif. Though I'm not going to waste the store brand, they'll have to eat it first before I break out the good stuff. They're spoiled.
08-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #1744
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I goofed Rupert. Last month the grocery store was having a sale on their brand sap. I bought two jars. Squirrels won't eat it except as a last resort, when the sunflower seeds run out. I'm on the last jar of that and since then I've bought the Jif. Though I'm not going to waste the store brand, they'll have to eat it first before I break out the good stuff. They're spoiled.
we feed generic peanut butter to the birds and use it as bait for marauding raccoons and opossums
our squirrels don't like it
however when we mix in seed, especially sunflower seed, it becomes a hotly contested commodity between the squirrels and woodpeckers

08-11-2017, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #1745
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My squirrels love PButter from Aldis. It is cheap and delicious! Been so hot here too Photolady...and humid...I can't breathe out there!

"Good stuff!"
Name:  IMGP8506-800-K1.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  544.3 KB

" I like it best straight out of the spout!"
Name:  IMGP8507-800-K1.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  508.1 KB

Regards!
08-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #1746
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

From today. I went out early this morning and spread the JIF out. Threw some peanuts for the Jays and sunflower seeds for all.

08-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #1747
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Between you and Rupert there's an awful lot of peanut butter being spread! LOL

08-13-2017, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #1748
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I hadn't thought of peanut butter until Rupert mentioned it. Unfortunately, now the squirrels and birds look for every day.
08-13-2017, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #1749
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, it is really sap that comes out on occasion from the peanut trees, which are very rare. Me and Photolady just supplement the flow when it is a little slow with peanut butter from a jar.

Otis tells me the best flavor comes directly from the spout.

Regards!
08-13-2017, 06:27 PM   #1750
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Actually, it is really sap that comes out on occasion from the peanut trees, which are very rare. Me and Photolady just supplement the flow when it is a little slow with peanut butter from a jar.

Otis tells me the best flavor comes directly from the spout.

Regards!
That rodent does not know how good he has it!
08-13-2017, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #1751
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That rodent does not know how good he has it!
Mark....A moment of seriousness. I often wonder what my squirrels think? They have plenty of the best of food 365 days a year, fresh water, lots of fresh fruit like apples and pears, and their own protected woods. They don't have to spend hours hunting for a few morsels of food, there is always plenty right here.They are born into this "heaven" and know nothing else. For them...I guess this is what life is? They have never known real hardship or hunger...just sleep late, get up and eat and play all day. Do they realize any of this? I think not...what do you think?

Regards!

"Sure, it's a great life but I could still use a padded cushion for this resting plank."
08-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #1752
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Mark....A moment of seriousness. I often wonder what my squirrels think? They have plenty of the best of food 365 days a year, fresh water, lots of fresh fruit like apples and pears, and their own protected woods. They don't have to spend hours hunting for a few morsels of food, there is always plenty right here.They are born into this "heaven" and know nothing else. For them...I guess this is what life is? They have never known real hardship or hunger...just sleep late, get up and eat and play all day. Do they realize any of this? I think not...what do you think?

Regards!

"Sure, it's a great life but I could still use a padded cushion for this resting plank."
I'm sure they discuss it and have decided that they've trained their resident human well! I think animals are cleverer than we give them credit for.
08-13-2017, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #1753
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I feed mine same as Rupert, 365 days a year. They don't have fruit trees here but they also get roasted peanuts and watermelon.

They love the sap so much they'll even venture out in the rain to eat some.

08-18-2017, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #1754
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"Sap is wonderful stuff! You can never get too much!"

Regards!
08-18-2017, 12:26 PM   #1755
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have more photos but at the moment am not able to process them. My desktop computer with the better graphics card is down at the moment and I'm on my laptop with the worst graphics card. I will not attempt to process RAW files on this thing. I should be back on desktop on Saturday.