apparently he feels right at home here
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
04-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #1488
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
Care of the Wild Feathered & Furred: Treating and Feeding Injured Birds and Animals: Mae Hickman, Maxine Guy: 9780935576535: amazon.com: Books?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Rescuing Wildlife: A Guide to Helping Injured & Orphaned Animals: Peggy Hentz: 9780811735889: amazon.com: Books?tag=pentaxforums-20&

we've used these two books for many years

our oldest boy still tries to save every creature he finds in distress (he's almost 40)
using these books we've set wings and legs and cured some nasty infections

our vet did convince us that most wounds could heal faster with just saline solution irrigation and open air than anything else (if nothing was broken)
of course he was proved correct

just be careful...squirrels can tear you up if they are frightened

good luck to you
Thank you. I'll see if I can find that book. I also found a squirrel forum this morning where I may be able to ask questions if I need to. I have a pair of thick, leather gloves to wear when I need to handle him. Problem is, those teeth could go through the glove. They are a little loose on me though, so when he does bite, he gets the glove and no skin. I don't handle him anymore than necessary. I don't want him to injure his foot worse, and I want him to feel safe.
04-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #1489
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
Hi, guys. Great looking squirrels, as always. I've mentioned before we don't get a lot of squirrels at our house. We've started to see a few lately. Unfortunately, the cat has taken notice too. We had to save this little guy from the cat. His foot is injured, and he can't get up the tree. Trying to give him a safe place while he recovers....
Oh dear, so sorry that the squirrel was "manhandled" by a cat. If you need a wildlife rehabilitator this form

Animal Help Now - Emergency Resource

at Animal Help Now ought to let you find a rehabber in your area. Good luck to the little guy.

04-24-2017, 12:58 PM   #1490
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Oh dear, so sorry that the squirrel was "manhandled" by a cat. If you need a wildlife rehabilitator this form

Animal Help Now - Emergency Resource

at Animal Help Now ought to let you find a rehabber in your area. Good luck to the little guy.
Thank you
04-26-2017, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #1491
Veteran Member

something I hadn't seen before...old cones but not new growth
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
04-26-2017, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #1492
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

One more from today. I didn't get any eating sap but they did eat it all gone before I realized they were in the trees.

This is a new to me lens, and I'm having problems with it focusing dead on like I was getting with the Vivitar M 200mm using CIF. So, tomorrow I'm going to try using the AF back focus button and see if that makes a difference. The lens in question is a Pentax FA Pwr zoom 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 with 1.4x tc.

04-27-2017, 02:37 AM   #1493
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
One more from today. I didn't get any eating sap but they did eat it all gone before I realized they were in the trees.

This is a new to me lens, and I'm having problems with it focusing dead on like I was getting with the Vivitar M 200mm using CIF. So, tomorrow I'm going to try using the AF back focus button and see if that makes a difference. The lens in question is a Pentax FA Pwr zoom 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 with 1.4x tc.
Looks pretty in focus to me.
04-27-2017, 05:49 AM   #1494
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Looks pretty in focus to me.
That one was but other shots of birds weren't.
04-27-2017, 09:40 AM - 2 Likes   #1495
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

One so far from today, it was pretty hot on top of the feeder post so this guy is underneath in the shade.

04-27-2017, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #1496
Pentaxian

Went through Kensington Gardens yesterday, again only saw one squirrel - I tried the cashew nut trick again but he kept turning his back while eating, this is the best photo I got.

Part of the reason for this was that he was being watched by a fairly large crow who kept swooping in and grabbing the nuts before he reached them:

I never previously realised that crows like cashews (and some bits of dried fruit I was also trying with the squirrel), but the greedy sod scoffed everything he could reach.
04-27-2017, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #1497
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Went through Kensington Gardens yesterday, again only saw one squirrel - I tried the cashew nut trick again but he kept turning his back while eating, this is the best photo I got.

Part of the reason for this was that he was being watched by a fairly large crow who kept swooping in and grabbing the nuts before he reached them:

I never previously realised that crows like cashews (and some bits of dried fruit I was also trying with the squirrel), but the greedy sod scoffed everything he could reach.
I like the detail in the crow's feathers. Like a carbon fiber suit!

Caught this one sneaking seeds from the base of the bird feeder at lunch today.

SMC-K105mm at f8
04-27-2017, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #1498
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Mine are getting lazy, sitting in the crook of a Persimmon tree, nibbling sap.

04-28-2017, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #1499
Veteran Member

here's a couple from yesterday
the first is from about ten feet with a 500mm mirror and a 1.4TC
the second just a little girl squirrel eating new growth (we let the bird seed volunteers grow for awhile before it's mowed down)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K2000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
04-28-2017, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #1500
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

AF Back focusing just doesn't work well with that new lens. I'm starting to think I bought a "pig in a poke" on this lens. I had to work PP on the shot below to get her face in focus.

I've since gone back to using the Vivitar M 200mm +1.4x TC and CIF.
Maybe I'll figure out how to turn all my long AF lenses into manual focus lenses.