Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2017, 06:37 PM   #1516
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Original Poster
Franc, you are posting some really neat (and cute!) shots. Keep it up, we need all the squirrels we can get, Yours are quite different.....I like that, we like all squirrels around here!

People post landscapes, flowers, rivers and such without much notice at times, unfortunately, but every squirrel here gets special attention! It is a squirrel haven!

Regards!

05-03-2017, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #1517
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Original Poster
This little guy just used his Amazon Prime account to order a new hacksaw......should be delivered by drone this afternoon?


Regards!
05-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #1518
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,400
is a mini rant ok?

even if it's not here goes...

if you own animals as pets it's your obligation to control them

they have zero business roaming the neighborhood off-leash

I heard but didn't witness a cat and something in a fight a couple of hours ago

when I went to the store the young squirrel I showed you yesterday three-legged away as fast as it could
I last saw it at 1030am at which time it was ok

it has tears not punctures on its right rear thigh

if you or someone you know thinks it's OK to let your animal run free...it is not!

cats in particular kill many thousands of birds every year
it is preventable

I don't blame the animal...it is doing what animals do
I blame its person...its stupid, stupid person
05-03-2017, 12:53 PM   #1519
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,621
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
cats in particular kill many thousands of birds every year it is preventable
We have feral cats here that belong to no one and there is no controlling them as far as keeping them put up in the house. So, not to sound mean but I chase them away with a bb gun. I don't hit them, I hit something metal close to them and that scares them away.

05-03-2017, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #1520
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
is a mini rant ok?
Certainly is, and I agree 100%. Like Photolady, I have feral cats here and they are a problem. I too have a BB gun and use it. Won't hurt them but it stings like crazy. Sometimes they come a night and try to get the food I put out for the raccoons.....when raccoons catch them, they don't come back at all!

A Cheater Branch catastrophe......My 83 year old yard man was weedeating in the Woods of Otis and ran into a branch with his head. Assuming it was just a dead branch ...or three...the tore them all down. He reported to me that somebody had screwed on some dead branches......well yeah!

Anyhow, I finally got them repaired and back up, but needed a test-squirrel to make certain they were strong enough. This little Mama squirrel said she would risk it for a dozen roasted peanuts and some squirrel Comic Books for her little kids. Deal!

"It sits OK...can I go now?"


No no! You need to get out there and put some weight on them!

"Like this?"


Yep, that was good enough! Now go to the other side and test the sap spout branch.

"Oh yeah! It is more comfortable than ever! I'm gonna take a nap and dream of sap flowing again!"


Otis came along to congratulate her...and see if she would share those peanuts she got!

"Wasn't she great folks.....and so brave!"


So we're back in the Cheater Branch business around here! Yipee!

Regards!
05-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #1521
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,191
Our cats are much to fat and lazy to chase anything. Occasionally, they get lucky and bring in a mouse, but that's pretty much it.
05-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #1522
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,400
this cat isn't feral but it is a magnificent hunter
our last feral cat didn't make it through the winter

right now, i'm too angry too approach to its owners without issue...so i'll wait

05-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #1523
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 76
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Certainly is, and I agree 100%. Like Photolady, I have feral cats here and they are a problem. I too have a BB gun and use it. Won't hurt them but it stings like crazy. Sometimes they come a night and try to get the food I put out for the raccoons.....when raccoons catch them, they don't come back at all!

A Cheater Branch catastrophe......My 83 year old yard man was weedeating in the Woods of Otis and ran into a branch with his head. Assuming it was just a dead branch ...or three...the tore them all down. He reported to me that somebody had screwed on some dead branches......well yeah!

Anyhow, I finally got them repaired and back up, but needed a test-squirrel to make certain they were strong enough. This little Mama squirrel said she would risk it for a dozen roasted peanuts and some squirrel Comic Books for her little kids. Deal!

"It sits OK...can I go now?"


No no! You need to get out there and put some weight on them!

"Like this?"


Yep, that was good enough! Now go to the other side and test the sap spout branch.

"Oh yeah! It is more comfortable than ever! I'm gonna take a nap and dream of sap flowing again!"


Otis came along to congratulate her...and see if she would share those peanuts she got!

"Wasn't she great folks.....and so brave!"


So we're back in the Cheater Branch business around here! Yipee!

Regards!
Actually, Rupert, these branches are a bit of an upgrade. Less of the screw showing. Anyway, good on all of ya, I really enjoy this thread.

Last edited by Bamtax; 05-03-2017 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
05-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #1524
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bamtax Quote
Actually, Rupert, these branches are a bit of an upgrade. Less of the screw showing. Anyway, good on all of ya, I really enjoy this thread.
Yes, the squirrels wanted the screws covered, they said it looked "amateurish" with them showing. Glad to hear that you enjoy the thread. It is maybe a little silly at times, but hey, it is fun and squirrels are fun critters...that part is no joke to anyone that is familiar with them.

Best Regards!
05-04-2017, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #1525
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,400
i'm not a wuss

but those jays are just plain mean!

breakfast out of the line of fire
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
05-04-2017, 07:32 AM   #1526
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
breakfast out of the line of fire
He really needed that....looks like he was about to "waste away" without nourishment! I'm on a diet and it is difficult. Mrs Rupert advised me that before every bite look down at my belly.......actually, that is working pretty well!

Regards!
05-04-2017, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #1527
Pentaxian
Franc's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hoevelaken
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,147
1. screws? who need screws! :-)
05-04-2017, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #1528
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
1. screws? who need screws! :-)
Otis wants to grow his ear hair like that.......any advice on how that is done? He asked me to get him a can of "Rogaine for Ears".

They love to bring their peanuts to eat on the Cheater Branches! Notice he keeps his eye on that sap spout...just in case it starts flowing!


Regards!
05-04-2017, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #1529
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: central Iowa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 875
Okay, I have a squirrel shot. Squirrels from Des Moines, IA, USA send their regards.


05-04-2017, 11:44 AM - 3 Likes   #1530
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
Okay, I have a squirrel shot. Squirrels from Des Moines, IA, USA send their regards.
What a handsome little guy he is too...and a nice shot of him! Wish we had walnuts here, but they are very few in this area. We do have lots of Pecan trees.....squirrels love them. Come back often and post more squirrels, they are always welcome in this thread....you too!

Regards!

Another good treat on a hot day is apple slices. Here we have "Apple Fridays"......always a popular day!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
award, bird, bird feeders, cheese, dash, feeders, flickr, glass, idea, james, mammals, mom, nap, otis, peanuts, pentax k-s2, pine, plants, power, save, shot, shots, squirrel, squirrels, time, trees, williams, window, window glass, woods
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally got to put the KP to "work"... I think I got a few "keepers"... gm4life Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 09-15-2017 12:49 PM
Machinery Memorial Day Weekend Car Show Shots HeavyCorPhotography Post Your Photos! 5 05-29-2015 11:24 AM
Nature A Squirrel Hunt Story - For Rupert. Jessesdad Post Your Photos! 29 06-18-2014 10:36 AM
Got any Squirrel Shots? Rupert Pentax Medium Format 0 05-31-2014 05:15 PM
Nature One for Rupert - Squirrel Speed daacon Post Your Photos! 3 10-11-2011 12:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top