Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3079 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2018, 06:50 PM - 2 Likes   #2296
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Thank you for your comment.

Flying squirrels? Wow! Just holding off the fox squirrels gave me issues without their having an Air Force - they are really smart .... every time I changed our setup outside they would have trouble for a while, but my wife would talk about "white board time", and {sure enough} within a day or so they would have come up with a solution.

added: I find myself wondering what kind of stories Rupert could have made from your situation back then - so many squirrels plus flying ones!
Yep those fox squirrels are pretty danged clever. Here is a shot of the flying squirrels caught with my K-3 and DFA100 macro using my EF-610DG Super flash. Bet I screwed up their night vision for a little while.

Part of the local friendly Flying Squirrel Colony posing for some night flash portraits!
by Larry Mc, on Flickr

Last edited by Larrymc; 12-18-2018 at 08:15 PM.
12-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #2297
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Yep those fox squirrels are pretty danged clever. Here is a shot of the flying squirrels caught with my K-3 and DFA100 macro using my EF-610DG Super flash. Bet i screwed up their night vision for a little while.

Part of the local friendly Flying Squirrel Colony posing for some night flash portraits!
by Larry Mc, on Flickr
So the Flying Squirrels steal at night and the Fox Squirrels steal during the day?
You're always "under attack".
12-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #2298
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So the Flying Squirrels steal at night and the Fox Squirrels steal during the day?
You're always "under attack".
No actually the flying squirrels were fed by me at night, the crafty fox squirrels would steal anything they could from dawn to dusk. They would even try to make a meal of large wooden back porch posts. The fox squirrels went from cute little critters to real pains in the butt.
12-19-2018, 08:22 AM - 5 Likes   #2299
Pentaxian

Today is the one year anniversary of the passing of "Rupert". Over the past few months, I've been collecting the following photos of squirrels showing respect for their friend.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo         
12-19-2018, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #2300
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks! I really, really miss ole' Rupert. He sure brought life to this thread. And helped so many on this forum too, from donating so others could have site support status to Adam to keep the site going. His humor was beyond measure. Rest in Peace My Friend!!
12-19-2018, 01:14 PM - 2 Likes   #2301
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haven't posted here in awhile, but I am today in honor of Rupert's passing a year ago. Just your basic squirrel on a bench:
12-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #2302
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Today is the one year anniversary of the passing of "Rupert". Over the past few months, I've been collecting the following photos of squirrels showing respect for their friend.
A series worthy of several awards!

That first one just makes me smile

12-19-2018, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #2303
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A couple more from Kensington Gardens, London. Nice weather but a bit chilly. The squirrels were out in force today, I was using a 70-300mm lens I was testing, the main problem I had was that they kept coming closer than the lens would focus.

The little sods kept trying to mug me for nuts etc. and all I had was a small peanut bar which was soon gone. The Parakeets were also out foraging, at this time of year there aren't many tourists etc. to feed them so they descend in numbers on anyone who looks like they might be a food source. I had two on my shoulders at one stage and I didn't have any food left at all! A woman near me was feeding them and there were so many they kept falling off her arms and shoulders because there wasn't room.

12-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #2304
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
A series worthy of several awards!

That first one just makes me smile
Thank you.

You'll notice that three of them weren't willing to put their food down; I think Rupert would have approved.
12-20-2018, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #2305
Pentaxian

I guess squirrels are the exception to the "everything is bigger in Texas" rule. This guy could never get stuck inside the box the way Rupert was often able to capture.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
12-20-2018, 08:21 AM   #2306
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Maybe Rupert's boxes were bigger. Or his fox squirrels were smaller than yours. I tried yesterday to get some shots of my squirrels but I waited too long in the day and there just wasn't enough light for my 55-300mm f4-5.8mm WR to capture them under the Water Oaks in the front yard.

Last edited by photolady95; 12-20-2018 at 04:10 PM.
12-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #2307
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I guess squirrels are the exception to the "everything is bigger in Texas" rule. This guy could never get stuck inside the box the way Rupert was often able to capture.
I thought morbid obesity was only a human affliction.
12-20-2018, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #2308
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I thought morbid obesity was only a human affliction.
Squirrels are supposed to have extra fat at this time of year; they don't know whether they can trust me to put out food all winter.
12-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #2309
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Maybe Rupert's boxes were bigger. Or his fox squirrels were smaller than yours. I tried yesterday to get some shots of my squirrels but I waited to long in the day and there just wasn't enough light for my 55-300mm f4-5.8mm WR to capture them under the Water Oaks in the front yard.
According to web-sites I found,
QuoteOriginally posted by Lauren Corona:
The only tree-dwelling squirrel to live in Texas is the eastern gray squirrel. They prefer to live and make their nests inside trees. They will, however, make a nest out of leaves in a tree canopy if they can't find a suitable space inside a tree. They're adaptable and can be found anywhere there are abundant deciduous trees, from parks to forests to residential neighborhoods
Habitat of Texas Squirrels | Animals - mom.me

and
QuoteOriginally posted by Wikipedia:
The fox squirrel (Sciurus niger) ... is the largest species of tree squirrel native to North America.....

The fox squirrel's natural range extends throughout the eastern United States, north into the southern prairie provinces of Canada, and west to the Dakotas, Colorado, and Texas.
Fox squirrel - Wikipedia

There seems to be a difference of opinion here, but his don't seem to me to be shaped or colored quite the same, so I'm guessing his really are the smaller species. Apparently the boxes are made for the smaller squirrels and ours just have to cope
12-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #2310
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

We had fox squirrels in Arkansas that were bigger than the ones Rupert photographed. I didn't have occasion to shoot them there(no camera and they didn't come out of the woods while I lived there) but here in Florida the gray squirrels are longer but not as fat as the fox squirrels you have in Indiana, I doubt they would fit in those boxed either because of their lenght.