Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3077 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #2311
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
We had fox squirrels in Arkansas that were bigger than the ones Rupert photographed. I didn't have occasion to shoot them there(no camera and they didn't come out of the woods while I lived there) but here in Florida the gray squirrels are longer but not as fat as the fox squirrels you have in Indiana, I doubt they would fit in those boxed either because of their lenght.
I'm guessing that squirrels in Florida can find food all year long, so the ones that play on the beach instead of getting fat can survive another year to pass their genes forward to the next generation .... but we have real winter here and the ones that don't eat industriously in the Fall won't survive to pass their genes on to the next generation.

12-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #2312
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Sure, there's food for them most years, but sometimes there are years we don't get enough rain for the oaks to produce enough acorns for food. But I started feeding them just so I could photograph them close to me. Now my brothers live with me, they don't want me feeding them for some reason unknown to me, but there is enough acorns this year that I don't need to feed them. Next year, we'll see if it is still not necessary. If not, I'll throw some sunflower seeds on the ground for them and some peanuts too because it isn't just the squirrels who eat the peanuts, it's the jays, and the Red Bellied woodpeckers too. I keep a feeder full of sunflower seeds for the other birds, and a feeder for full of safflower seeds for the smaller birds. No worry the squirrels will get in that feeder because the safflower seed is bitter and squirrels won't touch that food. The sunflower feeder is squirrel proof. And this one works better than the Squirrel be gone.

BTW, I don't live on the beach, so I don't know if there even any squirrels that hang around over there. Just because I live in Florida, that doesn't mean it's all about the beach. There are places inland that are woods too. And though I live some 7 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, I rarely if ever go there. Too many people there any time of the year.

Last edited by photolady95; 12-20-2018 at 09:11 PM.
12-21-2018, 08:25 AM - 2 Likes   #2313
Pentaxian

There are four places in our back yard where squirrels readily find food:
(1) squirrel feeder
(2) under squirrel feeder
(3) bird feeder
(4) under bird feeder

Yesterday, at some point we had six squirrels; since no one seemed to have gone to kindergarten - no one seemed to be interested in sharing - there was constant motion. Since none of the participants had a number on his back, I was having trouble figuring out whether the same two squirrels was dashing from place to place, or whether they were taking turns. At one point i saw a squirrel going out on the branch that leads to the bird feeder; since the bird feeder was already 'occupied' {by a squirrel}, I grabbed my camera to record the short fight .... but just as I pressed the shutter, the 'intruder' made an incredible U-turn and retreated.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
12-24-2018, 11:34 AM - 3 Likes   #2314
Pentaxian

One of the fox squirrels has discovered the 'delivery entrance', which is much larger than the 'purchase counter'.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
12-27-2018, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #2315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I guess squirrels are the exception to the "everything is bigger in Texas" rule. This guy could never get stuck inside the box the way Rupert was often able to capture.
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I thought morbid obesity was only a human affliction.
Squirrels are supposed to have extra fat at this time of year; they don't know whether they can trust me to put out food all winter.
Our older daughter was here for a few hours on Christmas Day. After watching this fellow at the feeder, she announced "He is enormous - you're feeding them too well"
12-27-2018, 08:37 AM   #2316
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Our older daughter was here for a few hours on Christmas Day. After watching this fellow at the feeder, she announced "He is enormous - you're feeding them too well"
She might be right.
12-27-2018, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #2317
Pentaxian

Geico Insurance is conducting a poll to select a favorite ad.

THE BEST OF GEICO

"Squirrels" seems to be third right now.

Attached Images

Last edited by reh321; 12-27-2018 at 09:34 PM.
12-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #2318
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

THE BEST OF GEICO

They should be first.

That was an awesome commercial.
12-29-2018, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #2319

Twinky Posing

Here are a few shots of Twinky doing more than her usual stuffing her face with sunflower seeds. Which is her better side?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
12-29-2018, 09:45 AM   #2320
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennygee Quote
Here are a few shots of Twinky doing more than her usual stuffing her face with sunflower seeds. Which is her better side?
Looks like she is really a he.
12-29-2018, 11:02 AM   #2321
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I agree, in the first photo, you can tell, she is not a she, she is a he. LOL
12-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #2322

Yes You are both right, But I am so use to Calling My "PET" squirrels "HER" I do believe this is one of MISS TWINKY"S offspring. He is not nearly as camera shy as mom. There were a couple of times in the last few weeks when they were both at the feeder at the same time and as soon as she saw me ,she took of to the trees. I will try to be more Gender specific in the future. Thanks for making the obvious well obvious!!
12-29-2018, 01:44 PM   #2323
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

THE BEST OF GEICO

Still running third with 13% of the vote.

Otis needs to rally his armies to go every 24 hours and vote for the squirrel commercial.

Seems the hump day commercial is quite popular, likely because of the campy innuendo.

So get out and vote!
12-29-2018, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #2324
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
They should be first.

That was an awesome commercial.
Yes, it portrays squirrels as being fun-loving, the same image Rupert provided over and over again.
12-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #2325
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

But I don't like Geico insurance, so I won't be voting.