Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2019, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #2566
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Black Friday belonged to the Blue Jays - the Squirrels retaliated 'big time" the next day.

My wife had jokingly suggested that we might have to run an ad in "Critter Daily" to announce opening of the feeders. Apparently the daily did have an ad {placed by the Squirrels} - or even an article - in the Black Friday edition. My wife counted five squirrels in our yard at one time. In any case, the Jays were badly out-numbered. Every place they went, there was already a Squirrel. Unless I zoomed in, I had a hard time getting just one Squirrel in any photo. She commented that it was hard to determine which Squirrels had enough to eat - or even any - without a nametag - but I stuck to my rule of filling the Feeders only once during the day.

We haven't seen that many since then. Perhaps the 'hungry' Squirrels went elsewhere, but the Squirrels made their point. The birds stick mostly the the Bird Feeder and the Squirrels to the Squirrel Feeder - the birds certainly do not squeeze the Squirrels out when it comes to peanuts in the Squirrel Feeder.

Attached Images

12-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #2567

I like IMGP1482, with the squirrel and bluejay in it.
The Jay's "expression". "Come on, already!"

Kirk B.
12-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #2568
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crazy4oldcars Quote
I like IMGP1482, with the squirrel and bluejay in it.
The Jay's "expression". "Come on, already!"

Kirk B.
and even more the fact that he never did get to the feeder - another Squirrel arrived and displaced the Jay before that Jay had "his" chance. This was the day that the Jays learned that it really is a Squirrel Feeder.
12-05-2019, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #2569
Pentaxian

When my wife first saw this squirrel, she asked "What happened to the rest of him?", to which I explained that the "rest of him" was inside the Feeder desperately trying to get the last few kernels of corn. When she suggested that I reconsider my "fill the Feeders once a day policy" I reminded her of our limited retirement budget .... and my unwillingness to feed the entire neighborhood.

If Rupert were still around, he probably would have entitled this "Does This Make My Rear Look Fat?" - to which I would answer "Yes, stop it".

Attached Images

12-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #2570
Pentaxian

My wife and I spent part of November on a trip to Florida. It was partly 'vacation', but also partly family work. She had moved her Mother from assisted Independent Living in Florida to Assisted Living in California, and now that the lease was finally running out, we had to go down to Florida and see to it that the apartment was ready to be released. She turned the keys in to management around Noon on Thursday, so even by driving straight through we arrived at St. Augustine after sunset. She had planned to make that a stop because she had enjoyed our short visit there twenty years ago. This time she arranged for us to stay in a hotel in the "old town", so we could walk every where. The next day we started walking to the "Fountain of Youth" theme park when we discovered the original Mission along the way. We did stop at the theme park and the fort as planned, but the highlight of our trip was actually touring the Mission.

During our tour of the Mission, while I happened to be holding my Q-7, this squirrel popped into sight - so I photographed him with the O7 and reached for my KP, but by then he had disappeared somewhere up the tree, so this photo will have to do of him.
Attached Images

12-07-2019, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #2571
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's been suggested I share this here, taken in the Abbey gardens in Bury St edmunds which is always good fro a squirrel shot or two :

12-07-2019, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #2572

"You has treats for me?"

Kirk B.

12-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #2573
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crazy4oldcars Quote
"You has treats for me?"

Kirk B.
Much better title than I came up with
12-09-2019, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #2574

Photos: Gallery
Hey... you're not a bird!

12-09-2019, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #2575
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That's the problem with squirrels, they'll steal the seed, Sunflower that is, right out of those ordinary bird feeder, that's why I use a squirrel be gone feeder, the holes close up if anything bigger than a Blue Jay gets on the feeder.
12-09-2019, 07:51 AM   #2576

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
That's the problem with squirrels, they'll steal the seed, Sunflower that is, right out of those ordinary bird feeder, that's why I use a squirrel be gone feeder, the holes close up if anything bigger than a Blue Jay gets on the feeder.
I had no idea such a thing existed, but now I know what to ask Santa for this year. Thanks for the tip!
12-09-2019, 08:11 AM   #2577
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I choose to use the word "share" instead of the word "steal". I also have a "squirrel proof" bird feeder. Two years ago, I used one, but last year we went to a wooden one because the cardinals didn't seem to like the "squirrel proof" one - that is when I discovered that cardinals seem to prefer eating off the ground no matter what bird feeder we use. This year I kept the wooden one in the garage, and got another bird proof one. The squirrels and blue jays share the squirrel feeder, which is empty with three or four hours, and the small birds share the bird feeder, which seems to hold enough feed for a day. Right now, I'd better fill the squirrel feeder - I've heard blue jays complaining.
12-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #2578
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redmenace Quote
I had no idea such a thing existed, but now I know what to ask Santa for this year. Thanks for the tip!
Look at the last photo of #2566 for a photo of ours. The squirrel seemed to gnaw on it, but didn't leave any marks {I'm not sure what plastic they use for the top}, and for whatever reason, he has never gone any lower than that - apparently he isn't willing to put his full weight on it.
12-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #2579
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

On my last brand named Squirrel be gone, the squirrels figured out a way to get in, the holes had a metal bar across the top of the hole, but one hole was missing the metal piece and they chewed a hole in the plastic. My brother bought me the new one, not same brand and so far the squirrels have not chewed any of it.
12-09-2019, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #2580
Pentaxian

But he's doing such a good impression

---------- Post added 9th Dec 2019 at 14:37 ----------

---------- Post added 9th Dec 2019 at 14:38 ----------