Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2020, 12:25 PM - 4 Likes   #2746
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Caught it in the act. Had a mini-stare down moment and all...

10-26-2020, 03:17 PM - 2 Likes   #2747
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Caught it in the act. Had a mini-stare down moment and all...

He's just carving it for you.

And here I thought a cordless drill or jigsaw was the easiest way to carve these days.
10-26-2020, 04:07 PM - 2 Likes   #2748
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
He's just carving it for you.

And here I thought a cordless drill or jigsaw was the easiest way to carve these days.
Or a Dremel tool...
10-26-2020, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #2749
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raider rob Quote
Or a Dremel tool...
I would still use just a knife {if I did it at all}.
In any case, carving without drawing first is just asking for complications.

10-26-2020, 05:30 PM - 2 Likes   #2750
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
He's just carving it for you.And here I thought a cordless drill or jigsaw was the easiest way to carve these days.
QuoteOriginally posted by raider rob Quote
Or a Dremel tool...
On another pumpkin, I used an oscillating tool for the carve
10-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #2751

Photos: Albums
My two cents.
10-27-2020, 09:07 AM - 2 Likes   #2752
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
On another pumpkin, I used an oscillating tool for the carve
I thought that on Halloween the standard tool was a chain saw.

10-27-2020, 09:42 AM   #2753

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I thought that on Halloween the standard tool was a chain saw.
Lol. An itty bitty one, with a 2" blade!

Kirk B.
10-27-2020, 10:08 AM   #2754
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crazy4oldcars Quote
Lol. An itty bitty one, with a 2" blade!

Kirk B.
With the teeth squirrels have, they have no need of a knife - as well as no place to keep it.
A few years ago, we paid for a brand-new roof, which was precipitated by a leak in the closet where we keep our clothes;
when the guy went up there, he reported the leak was a result of gnawing - squirrels are the only gnawing animals we have seen up there.
10-28-2020, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #2755
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Phooey! The trajectory to the bird feeder isn't right.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 7D Mark II  Photo 
10-28-2020, 07:41 AM   #2756
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Phooey! The trajectory to the bird feeder isn't right.
Surprising - we have enough trees that the only way to keep them out of the bird feeder was to get a really good feeder.
10-28-2020, 09:54 AM   #2757
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Surprising - we have enough trees that the only way to keep them out of the bird feeder was to get a really good feeder.

I got really disturbed by the number of tall trees within fall-and-damage-distance of the house and especially the sun room with its flimsier roof . So I had a huge number trees felled and cleared out (expensive). M was very upset, but now I sleep easier when there's a storm approaching. As a side effect, it is now possible to position a pole-mounted feeder out of squirrel range, and that was impossible before. I have a welded steel support base that holds a 4X4 timber with a big metal squirrel guard on it. If I set it too close to one of the small trees that remain, it can be moved a few feet, and voila! frustrated and exasperated squirrels. What a joy! What limits bird feeding are the bears. One comes, tips over the feeder, eats and leaves. But if the bears start making a habit of coming, they may start investigating the house, or catch the dog when she is out, so bird feeding must be restricted. The supposed rule is: set out only what the birds consume in less than a day, because bears are most likely to visit at night.
10-28-2020, 10:11 AM   #2758
Pentaxian

I got really disturbed by the number of tall trees within fall-and-damage-distance of the house and especially the sun room with its flimsier roof . So I had a huge number trees felled and cleared out (expensive). M was very upset, but now I sleep easier when there's a storm approaching. As a side effect, it is now possible to position a pole-mounted feeder out of squirrel range, and that was impossible before. I have a welded steel support base that holds a 4X4 timber with a big metal squirrel guard on it. If I set it too close to one of the small trees that remain, it can be moved a few feet, and voila! frustrated and exasperated squirrels. What a joy! What limits bird feeding are the bears. One comes, tips over the feeder, eats and leaves. But if the bears start making a habit of coming, they may start investigating the house, or catch the dog when she is out, so bird feeding must be restricted. The supposed rule is: set out only what the birds consume in less than a day, because bears are most likely to visit at night.
I have pretty good squirrel control a the moment. A younger male has rep-laced King Squirrel at the feeder, and he is very aggressive, chasing away other squirrels. That coupled with the Ermine I saw go through the other day has really reduced my squirrel problem. now, if I could only get rid of three quarters of my Blue Jays so less aggressive birds could spend more time at the feeders.

I'm in a situation where chicks from a couple years ago who have never left the property and may not know how to live in the wild have now had chicks. I'd worry except I'm often gone for a week or two in the winter and they figure it out. Within a couple of days of coming home, they are all back, so they do have other options.

Last edited by normhead; 10-30-2020 at 05:56 AM.
10-28-2020, 12:57 PM   #2759
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

I got really disturbed by the number of tall trees within fall-and-damage-
distance of the house and especially the sun room with its flimsier roof . So I had a huge number trees felled and cleared out (expensive). M was very upset, but now I sleep easier when there's a storm appro
aching. As a side effect, it is now possible to position a pole-mounted feeder out of squirrel range, and that was impossible before. I have a welded steel support base that holds a 4X4 timber with a big metal squirrel guard on it. If I set it too close to one of the small trees that remain, it can be moved a few feet, and voila! frustrated and exasperated squirrels. What a joy! What limits bird feeding are the bears. One comes, tips over the feeder, eats and leaves. But if the bears start making a habit of coming, they may start investigating the house, or catch the dog when she is out, so bird feeding must be restricted. The supposed rule is: set out only what the birds consume in less than a day, because bears are most likely to visit at night.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have pretty good squirrel control a the moment. A younger male has rep-laced Kin Squirrel at the feeder, and he is very aggressive, chasing away other squirrels. That coupled with the Ermine I saw go through the other day has really reduced my squirrel problem. now, if I could only get rid of three quarters of my Blue Jays so less aggressive birds could spend more time at the feeders.

I'm in a situation where chicks from a couple years ago who have never left the property and may not know how to live in the wild have now had chicks. I'd worry except I'm often gone for a week or two in the winter and they figure it out. Within a couple of days of coming home, they are all back, so they do have other options.
When we first moved into this house seven years ago, renting from my Mother, we put a wooden bird feeder on the pole {on a ridge leading to the bypass} that my parents had used for that purpose at one time, but I saw quickly that squirrels had too many paths to it now. Eventually I settled on a "squirrel proof" bird feeder hanging from a tree nearer to the house and a wooden squirrel feeder attached to another tree. In a sense, this is a "turnabout is fair play" situation, because the squirrels get only bird feed that the birds have tossed down, but Blue Jays take some select food from the squirrel feeder. Squirrels and deer eat the bird seed that is tossed, so fortunately we don't seem to have the rat problem that some people worry about.

Incidentally, my Mother died two years ago, and my siblings agreed that the estate should sell the house to us. We expect to live in the house for perhaps another ten years {I am 72 right now}, then move to a 'home' near our younger daughter.
10-29-2020, 03:17 PM - 2 Likes   #2760
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter