Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3079 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2016, 03:05 AM   #286
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
This is a very interesting set, Stu. We have black phase grays and full-on gray squirrels here, and my (unscientific) observation is that the blacks are more intelligent -- they're cleverer at avoiding traffic, know instantly where to seek cover, etc. -- than the grays, who are stronger and more likely to dominate over others.
Thanks very much.
We have thoroughly enjoyed considerable backyard squirrel activity this winter.
Stu

03-26-2016, 06:35 AM   #287
Pentaxian

IN Toronto we had a very aggressive black we used to call uninventively "momma squirrel". One litter she had one black and one grey.
03-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #288
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Our squirrels have a bad habit of rewiring the downtown area. Sometimes they do forget to turn the power back on.

03-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #289
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
Both of these images were captured through window glass this morning with Pentax K-S2 with SMC Takumar 1:5.6/400 on monopod with new-to-me Manfrotto 393 head. Note that in the stare-down photo, the black squirrel's tail is brown. Both images were cropped a bit from the right and are cross-posted from a Daily Challenge thread.
Just noticed those...neat shots! Do you have many Black Squirrels there? All of mine are Fox Squirrels. I think it is NCarolina where they have the solid White Squirrels that they consider a protected species? They are all welcome in the Army of Otis! Chipmunks and Prairie Dogs too...if they can cook!

Regards!

---------- Post added 03-27-16 at 05:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Our squirrels have a bad habit of rewiring the downtown area. Sometimes they do forget to turn the power back on.
Suicide squirrel! We see them here all too often. Last time the power was off for three hours after one blew a transformer.

Since Otis discovered Prozac for those depressed, the incidents have decreased dramatically.

03-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #290
smf
Pentaxian

Below is a link to a Michigan newspaper article about black squirrels.

Black squirrels in Michigan popping up in more places

I have seen a fair number if black squirrels here in Midland, which is in the central part of the Lower Peninsula (and north of the metropolitan Detroit area). I am sorry that I cannot tell you approximately how many are here nor whether they are becming a greater proportion of the squirrel population here.

Best wishes,
Stu
03-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #291
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having lived in Michigan all my life I mainly see black squirrels along the shoreline. The further inland you go the less you see. I grew up on Lake Michigan so I used to see them all the time. Now I live 45 miles inland and almost never see one.
03-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #292
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting about the black squirrels in Michigan!

White squirrels.... White Squirrels | Heart of Brevard

Lots of photos here. https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrBTzhX8vlWrUgA_aFXNyoA;...uirrels&fr=vmn

Otis thinks they may be haunted since they are sort of ghostly looking?

Regards!

03-29-2016, 05:51 AM   #293
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello everyone. It's been a while, so thought I would drop in. You all have some great squirrels. For the 10(?) years. I've been in my home, we've had an odd lack of squirrels. Where we live you'd think we'd see a ton of them. However, my husband spotted a couple in a tree in the back half of the yard last week. Maybe there's hope. Unfortunately, there's also a hawk hanging around. So, I guess we will have to wait and see.
03-29-2016, 01:06 PM   #294
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Having lived in Michigan all my life I mainly see black squirrels along the shoreline. The further inland you go the less you see. I grew up on Lake Michigan so I used to see them all the time. Now I live 45 miles inland and almost never see one.
I live on Michigan's West Coast and I have to say, the we have a fairly mixed neighborhood when it comes to squirrels.
03-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #295
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
I live on Michigan's West Coast and I have to say, the we have a fairly mixed neighborhood when it comes to squirrels.
I live roughly 40 miles from Michigan's West Coast by car, maybe 30 miles as the squirrel walks, and all of our squirrels are Fox Squirrels.
03-30-2016, 06:55 PM   #296
Pentaxian

Some more red squirrel images, these two squared off minutes before these pictures. They ended up 6 feet apart, bodies turned to keep an eye on each other.

03-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #297
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Some more red squirrel images, these two squared off minutes before these pictures. They ended up 6 feet apart, bodies turned to keep an eye on each other.

That second one is great. It looks like he's ready to start throwing some punches
03-31-2016, 06:19 AM   #298
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
That second one is great. It looks like he's ready to start throwing some punches
He looks like he's saying " You want a piece of this, bring it on." But it's the other guy who took the good spot. Squirrels aways want the spot closest to the tree.
03-31-2016, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #299
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Those are the cutest little guys! My guys are so much larger...but they do square off and fight too.

You want some of me?

Mostly it ends up in a long chase, but occasionally they go to the ground and tumble with each other.. small injuries do occur.

You can see here where Otis was injured when a traitor tried to slit his throat from behind......The traitor is now R.I.P. eternally.....

It's a rough world out there ...watch your back!

Regards!
04-01-2016, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #300
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This little Girly Squirrel is new to the area and she was telling me she wants to join the Ladies Otis Auxiliary Club.

She asked if I knew what they did in the club?....I told her no, but I could guess!