Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2016, 09:33 AM   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
This little Girly Squirrel is new to the area and she was telling me she wants to join the Ladies Otis Auxiliary Club.

She asked if I knew what they did in the club?....I told her no, but I could guess!

Your mind goes to the strangest places.

04-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #302
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Your mind goes to the strangest places.
What are you sayin' Norm? That I'm some kind of pervert? Hey, I just tell it like it is! I could have told her they sit around and knit little sweaters for Otis, or bake him almond/pecan loaded cookies.....but then she would have found that I lied to her and never pose for me again! You gotta think ahead!

Regards!
04-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #303
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The squirrel here isn't immediately obvious, but Jeannie spotted him right away
04-01-2016, 06:36 PM   #304
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
The squirrel here isn't immediately obvious, but Jeannie spotted him right away
I saw him instantly.....I've had some practice, you know! Always love to see your puppy!

Regards!

04-02-2016, 07:41 AM - 3 Likes   #305
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This guy has the new "bird" feeder really figured out. Sometimes he'll just go head down and gobble from the trough.
Name:  FeedTrough.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  359.1 KB
Other times he'll grab a morsel and balance on the wire loop on top to enjoy it.
Name:  OhBoyoboy.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  671.0 KB
(This is a 100% crop. I got a 1970s Leica R 250 f4 yesterday, and have been trying it on my A7.)
04-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #306
Veteran Member

We stalked some squirrels at the Tyler Rose Garden yesterday. Here are a couple:

04-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #307
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
This guy has the new "bird" feeder really figured out.
They are born with bird feeders "figured out" !

QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
We stalked some squirrels at the Tyler Rose Garden yesterday. Here are a couple:
Tina, this little newcomer to the area is now complaining that Otis has been "talking dirty" to her and she is not happy about it. You haven't been chatting with Otis again, have you? See if you can get him to clean up his language, it is embarrassing and not at all gentlemanly. He might listen to you...if you stop encouraging him!

"That Otis has a nasty mouth!"

Regards!

04-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #308
Veteran Member

Tina, this little newcomer to the area is now complaining that Otis has been "talking dirty" to her and she is not happy about it. You haven't been chatting with Otis again, have you? See if you can get him to clean up his language, it is embarrassing and not at all gentlemanly. He might listen to you...if you stop encouraging him!

"That Otis has a nasty mouth!"

Regards!
I suppose I could have a talk with him. Only problem is, Otis called me and said he couldn't get anywhere with the new chick. He said none of his old pick up lines were working; she told him they were lame. He needed some advice, and thought I could help him beef it up. Being the good friend I am, I helped him come up with some new pick up lines. I guess it was a bit too much?
04-03-2016, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #309
Pentaxian

They are born with bird feeders "figured out" !
Not all the time.

When I put up our bird feeder in Dec 2014, the squirrel got in right away. I watched how he did it and changed the arrangement; he'd discover his old approach didn't work, then stand there flipping his tail while he surveyed the situation, then disappear for a day or so. We kind of joked that he was working at his white board - then he'd come back with an approach that did work, and we'd begin the process again. I admired his ingenuity, but we had bought that seed for the birds, so eventually I bought the professionally-constructed squirrel-resistant feeder.

When I put up the old one a few weeks ago "for the squirrels", my wife's question was "why would we do that?"
04-03-2016, 02:11 PM - 2 Likes   #310
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
Being the good friend I am, I helped him come up with some new pick up lines. I guess it was a bit too much?
Yes, it was a bit too much Tina....."Hey babe, let's get naked and party" is a little strong for a first encounter with a new girly squirrel. It's hard to imagine anyone being a bad influence on Otis...but I think you qualify!

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When I put up the old one a few weeks ago "for the squirrels", my wife's question was "why would we do that?"
My neighbor got two of those bird feeders that spin and throw the squirrels off. They made a game of it and soon squirrels were lined up to wait their turn. The batteries had to be replaced twice a day and she finally gave up and let the squirrels eat whatever they wanted.

Whatever it takes....

Regards!
04-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #311
Pentaxian

My neighbor got two of those bird feeders that spin and throw the squirrels off. They made a game of it and soon squirrels were lined up to wait their turn. The batteries had to be replaced twice a day and she finally gave up and let the squirrels eat whatever they wanted.
The feeder we eventually settled on is simple - an inner plastic container with openings and an outer metal cage; the two are connected by springs. If a light bird lands on one of the perches, it can simply reach through the opening there and get seeds. If a squirrel gets on the cage, the cage sags down and the decorative leaves block the openings. After a few attempts, the squirrel gave up {and his social life probably suffered, as I stopped seeing two or three of them together}. Unfortunately, larger birds, like cardinals and red-belly woodpeckers also had trouble with the cage {as did nuisance birds such as pigeons and starlings}

04-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #312
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The feeder we eventually settled on is simple - an inner plastic container with openings and an outer metal cage;
Hope it continues to work for you.....my squirrels would eat that plastic liner open on the first day. Been there...done that! First they gnaw off the wire holding it, then when it hits the ground they go to work on the plastic liner. They work as a team here and any obstacle is a joint effort to overcome...and they do.

As long as I keep the two squirrel feeders full, they leave everything else alone....mostly.

We like pot pies....they like pot plants!

Regards!
04-04-2016, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #313
Pentaxian

You can always get a squirrel around here.

04-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #314
Pentaxian

Our squirrels in this part of Europe are dark brown, I haven't seen any like the ones on the photographs. Ours are rather shy. I'll try to photograph one when possible. How to attract then? I've read somewhere that they like peanuts, just wondering if they like them better raw, roasted, salted? Or they only like hazelnuts?
04-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Our squirrels in this part of Europe are dark brown, I haven't seen any like the ones on the photographs. Ours are rather shy. I'll try to photograph one when possible. How to attract then? I've read somewhere that they like peanuts, just wondering if they like them better raw, roasted, salted? Or they only like hazelnuts?
Photography is a lot more interesting if you have goals in mind. Getting a few squirrel shots can be your next mission , should you choose to accept it. Burn this page when you're done reading this.