Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #331
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
In those slow moments when I can't find any bird from my blind, I can usually find squirrels.
Yep, squirrels love to be photographed! Norm, Otis loves your excellent squirrel shots...and doggies....don't forget the doggies! However, Otis is concerned that in a few weeks when I get my new K1 and become a Pro, you will feel intimidated by my fantastic squirrel shots and stop posting here??? I keep trying to assure him that is not the case, that you will just change your name to "Anonymous Poster" and keep right on posting. Can you offer up a few words to Otis to relieve his anxiety?

Regards!

04-11-2016, 09:10 AM   #332
Pentaxian

Sorry I can't help Otis, I've been wondering how you get what you do with what you've got. Once you get a pro camera, everyone else's shots will be pale by comparison. I expect the detail on the squirrel fur to go up about 200%.

My images will look like kids art.
04-11-2016, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #333
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I don't have any doggies, so you still got me there Norm. It wasn't my idea to be a Pro, it was Mrs Rupert's idea. I probably won't have any friends left when I am a Pro.....it's lonely up at the top.

I may have to give the K1 away to keep from becoming arrogant and self-worshiping? This becoming a Pro is not all it's cracked up to be. I hear you also have to know what you are doing...you can bet that doesn't set well with me!

Regards!
04-11-2016, 12:05 PM   #334
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
In those slow moments when I can't find any bird from my blind, I can usually find squirrels.
My "blind" consists of sitting on our back deck within sight of our feeders. Some of the birds tolerate my being out there, especially in the winter when they're grateful for the contents of the feeders {our daughters call the bird seed "bribes"}, but the various mammals tend to stay away when I'm outside. Taking pictures through the window, of course, reduces some of the detail, and even then some of the mammals take off as soon as they can see me through the glass.

---------- Post added 04-11-16 at 03:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Well, I don't have any doggies, so you still got me there Norm. It wasn't my idea to be a Pro, it was Mrs Rupert's idea. I probably won't have any friends left when I am a Pro.....it's lonely up at the top.

I may have to give the K1 away to keep from becoming arrogant and self-worshiping? This becoming a Pro is not all it's cracked up to be. I hear you also have to know what you are doing...you can bet that doesn't set well with me!

Regards!
And how much more will you have to invest in lenses to retain your current effective focal length standard, but now as a "pro"?

04-11-2016, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #335

No Pro shots here......
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
04-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #336
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
And how much more will you have to invest in lenses to retain your current effective focal length standard, but now as a "pro"?
As much as I can squeeze out of Mrs Rupert.

QuoteOriginally posted by JML69 Quote
No Pro shots here......
Nice acrobat shot! Don't worry about my coming Pro status......I don't think you have much to worry about!

Regards!
04-11-2016, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #337

The D FA 150-450 with the HD 1.4 TC, Squirell eye corrected in Lightroom.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
04-11-2016, 05:19 PM - 2 Likes   #338
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The D FA 150-450 with the HD 1.4 TC, Squirell eye corrected in Lightroom.
This is the image that popped into my head when I read your post.

I don't have lightroom, but I was able to correct my squirrel's eyes with a tiny pair of glasses.

04-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #339
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went down to our local city park on the river and the squirrels were out in force. This is most I have seen of them in awhile. They looked pretty worse for wear. There was one squirrel that was pretty banged up and a duck with an injured leg. They say this old sap coming a mile away.

The first I see getting out of the Yukon.

Better turn it up a bit he is not giving anything out.

A little bit more.......

Yup that did it!

Hey wait for me!

Whoa that was close.

K3 plus the Bigma, I had to drive to the little store down the road but luckily they had some supplies.
04-13-2016, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #340

Squirells must really be into the rough stuff, check out the Females ears and look at the Acorns on this guy......
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
04-13-2016, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #341
Pentaxian

Squirells must really be into the rough stuff, check out the Females ears and look at the Acorns on this guy......
The area near the feeder is prime nesting territory. No one is going to give up the easy food source. It's kept them through the winter as a group, but now it's every squirrel for himself. I see that kind of damage in many of my pictures, and quite a few squirrel fights. None today though.

I think this one is the winner of the feeder territory. This will be her third year.

She's run most of the others off, and her young will be here through the winter next winter. But looking close, you can see she got a little chewed this year.

Last edited by normhead; 04-15-2016 at 07:10 PM.
04-15-2016, 07:19 AM   #342
Pentaxian

Some time ago, I modified our old bird feeder to serve as a squirrel feeder. Corn kept "disappearing", but I'd never seen who was eating it. Then, this morning, while the feeder was still in the shadows, I finally saw this guy. I already knew from previous experience that my going outside would scare any mammals away {the birds seem to be slightly more tolerant of my presence}, so I took these pictures through the very imperfect glass doors out to our deck.

The next time I see him, I may try going out the front door and walking very quietly around the house, but the way he looks in every direction before eating a few bites makes me guess that I'm not going to fool him.

BTW: these pictures were taken using an old Tamron 23A AdaptAll lens {60-300mm lens} @ 300mm, 1/400, f/5.8} hand-focused, hand-held, exposure determined by green button on my K-30

Last edited by reh321; 04-15-2016 at 07:49 AM.
04-15-2016, 07:45 AM   #343
Pentaxian

As soon as he figures out you're the guy bringing the food, he will be 5 feet up the tree, waiting for you to go.

Last edited by normhead; 04-15-2016 at 07:10 PM.
04-15-2016, 07:11 PM   #344
Pentaxian

Today's squirrel images

Look into his eye and you'll see the big old front element of a DA*200 ƒ2.8 staring back at you.

04-16-2016, 06:13 PM   #345
Pentaxian

Always room for one more.