Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2016, 08:28 PM   #346
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JML69 Quote
Squirells must really be into the rough stuff, check out the Females ears and look at the Acorns on this guy......
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Some time ago, I modified our old bird feeder to serve as a squirrel feeder.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Always room for one more.
All you guys are posting some really good stuff here! There isn't much I have that can compare, in particular with a crippled camera, so it makes your shots even more enjoyable.

Squirrels are fun to shoot, and they make good practice too. They are in all kinds of light and terrain....if you can shoot squirrels, you can bet it helps in shooting other subjects too.

I recall when Norm used to post his doggie shots and we had a hard time determining if they were dogs or cats...then he started shooting squirrels and soon all his shots became most excellent. I can't guarantee you the same results, but it's sure worth a try!
Shoot those squirrels!

Regards!

04-17-2016, 01:31 AM   #347

Quickie with the Sigma.

04-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #348
Pentaxian

A few more from today...

And a chipmunk
04-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #349
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Huxley Quote
Quickie with the Sigma.
Nice sharp shot....like the coloring of that guy too!

A few more from today...
The third is my fav there Norm....the little Chippy is a cute little fellow. You have many of those up there? Never seen one around here.....out west we have some prairie dogs, but I don't recall seeing any chipmunks.

A dark and stormy day here, rain galore. Even handsome squirrels don't look so great at IS 12,800. In the darkness with only MF I just can't nail the focus. Something in the damage caused my focus detect light to be off in accuracy ...when it even works at all.

Better days are ahead with the K1! I'm ready for some AF action!

Regards!

04-17-2016, 02:02 PM   #350
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nice sharp shot....like the coloring of that guy too!

The third is my fav there Norm....the little Chippy is a cute little fellow. You have many of those up there? Never seen one around here.....out west we have some prairie dogs, but I don't recall seeing any chipmunks.

Regards!
Over the summer the chipmunks build up, until there's 20 or 30 of them. But they are really stupid, not at all like squirrels. The Pine Marten comes and hangs out for a few days , pigeon out on chipmunk and we will be back down to 5 or 6 again.

Squirrels are breed smart and keep em' alive. Chippies are "breed lots and they'll never get all of you". Completely different survival strategies.
04-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #351
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Squirrels are breed smart and keep em' alive.
I am always amazed at squirrel intelligence....excepting the dead ones I see almost daily on the roads in town. They just haven't seemed to realize the danger of paved streets.
The other day I was looking out at one burying peanuts and noticed another about 25feet up above watching him. He let him bury 4-5 then when the first one left he went and dug every one up and got up on the cedar fence and ate them all. That's how fights get started, and we have a few every so often.

Regards!
04-18-2016, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #352
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thunder, lightning, high winds and blowing rain.......won't even slow down a hungry squirrel!

Regards!

04-18-2016, 04:18 PM   #353
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Some time ago, I modified our old bird feeder to serve as a squirrel feeder. Corn kept "disappearing", but I'd never seen who was eating it. Then, this morning, while the feeder was still in the shadows, I finally saw this guy. I already knew from previous experience that my going outside would scare any mammals away {the birds seem to be slightly more tolerant of my presence}, so I took these pictures through the very imperfect glass doors out to our deck.

The next time I see him, I may try going out the front door and walking very quietly around the house, but the way he looks in every direction before eating a few bites makes me guess that I'm not going to fool him.

BTW: these pictures were taken using an old Tamron 23A AdaptAll lens {60-300mm lens} @ 300mm, 1/400, f/5.8} hand-focused, hand-held, exposure determined by green button on my K-30
When my wife saw this - a bird at the squirrel feeder - she said "I guess turnabout is fair play". I guess this guy knew he was at the wrong feeder - I was going out the front door and taking pictures from the front corner of the house {kind of using the bushes as a blind}, but he was leaving before I could press the shutter button; in this case he left before the mirror returned. As you can probably tell from the funky bokeh, this was taken using one of those relatively inexpensive Korean 500mm mirror lenses.

04-18-2016, 05:23 PM   #354
Pentaxian

Tha bokeh is a work of art all on it's own.
04-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #355
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When my wife saw this - a bird at the squirrel feeder - she said "I guess turnabout is fair play".
Tha bokeh is a work of art all on it's own.
I agree! That needs to be posted over in the Bokeh Thread too! Some neat bokeh!

Regards!
04-18-2016, 07:08 PM   #356
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree! That needs to be posted over in the Bokeh Thread too! Some neat bokeh!

Regards!
Bokeh thread???
04-18-2016, 07:44 PM   #357
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thunder, lightning, high winds and blowing rain.......won't even slow down a hungry squirrel!

Regards!
Maybe he could work for the U.S. Post Office. Teach them a thing or two.

Tonytee
04-18-2016, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #358
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Update on baby squirrel that fell from tree...

squirrel baby is running around raiding the bird feeders now so I put out a special one just for the squirrels now. They are enjoying it. They don't run away as fast anymore when I walk outside. There is a Mama and two young 'uns now.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #359
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

You asked! I shall supply. X-posted in PYP.

This one I changed the WB on to Shade but don't like un natural colors so changed it back to AWB.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-18-2016 at 11:22 PM.
04-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #360
mee
Pentaxian

My doctor doesn't know anything of these so called 'squirrel' shots.