Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2016, 09:18 AM   #451
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you can find a 1.7, I saw one in the market place a few days ago for $300, it's tailor made for lenses like your Samyang, as it makes them partial AF lenses.
Three hundred is a bit beyond what my wallet will handle. I had a Sigma 1.4x but gave it away because of the protruding element wouldn't let the Sigma AF.
I was wondering about putting an AF TC on a manual lens, and whether the camera would read it as like a A lens or not.

04-28-2016, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #452
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a few more squirrels. The first one is eating a peach:

04-29-2016, 09:27 AM - 2 Likes   #453
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Love 'em Photolady....the last is very nice. I love the dedication of the "hanger"!

Here is a question for Norm, since he is the resident Pro here....at least until I get my K1!

I don't have much fast glass anymore since I shut down my little studio a couple of years ago. This morning I was just sitting at my desk and picked up the Kiron 105 2.8 and shot a squirrel on the fence. Wide open @ 2.8.

Name:  IMGP5258-800.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  314.4 KB

As usual, I cropped it heavily and the result was not half bad for "ordinary" purposes. This makes me think that maybe a fast 70-200 like the new Pentax zoom might be a good investment? I am thinking that cropping will be even better on the K1 and the 70-200 would fill a lot of needs for other types of shooting too??

What is your view of this idea? Any other suggestions? I don't want to go on a lens buying spree, been there...but I do want to get the best out of the K1 without a wide assortment of lenses.

I did some light processing on it, and though not outstanding, it is better than I anticipated at the distance and wide open.
Name:  IMGP5258-800 -crop.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  346.3 KB

Regards!
04-29-2016, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #454
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very dull and grey day today, but I after 50 years not using one, I just got a Leica 2x teleconverter and put it between my Leica 250mm and A7, so some quick snaps with this 500mm handheld, in poor light, through a dirty window. Had to crank up the ISO to 5000 even for 1/160 to 1/250 shutter speed (no image stabilization, of course), and the A7 is challenged at this ISO. These are uncropped full-frame, just did an "autocorrect" in Microsoft Office picture manager to cure the washed-out look. (I really don't like to work with images on a computer - prefer film enlargements.)
This poor beastie was scrounging around the base of the feeder pole, as my wife had recently oiled the pole because the cardinals were complaining about the squirrels hogging the feeder.
Name:  500HH-1.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  578.8 KB
Name:  500HH-2.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  539.0 KB

04-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #455
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Another one. Wish we had Fox squirrels here but no, we got Gray squirrels:

04-29-2016, 09:14 PM   #456
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Another one. Wish we had Fox squirrels here but no, we got Gray squirrels:
At least you get pictures. I know there is at least one Fox squirrel living in my backyard {and at least once this year I saw two at the same time}, but today I saw zero at the same time all day long.
04-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #457
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I know there is at least one Fox squirrel living in my backyard {and at least once this year I saw two at the same time}, but today I saw zero at the same time all day long.
You have to make it happen. I didn't have any here until I started feeding them. Sunflower seeds are good too. Bread is good, even old bread as long as it's not moldy. Provide them water too.

04-29-2016, 10:51 PM - 2 Likes   #458
Pentaxian

Cross post from the 300mm lens club, Variable Squirrel taken with KS1 & Sigma 150-500mm HSM

04-30-2016, 06:31 AM   #459
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
Cross post from the 300mm lens club, Variable Squirrel taken with KS1 & Sigma 150-500mm HSM

Now that's an unusual looking squirrel. Very cool.

th1952
04-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #460
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
Variable Squirrel taken with KS1 & Sigma 150-500mm HSM
Seen a lot of squirrels...but rarely any similar to that one. Pretty neat!

Regards!

If you need a "Squirrel Fix" here are some from an old WSSA Squirrel Frenzy. Most of the shooters are from Pentax Forums or Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/wssa/
04-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #461
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
You have to make it happen. I didn't have any here until I started feeding them. Sunflower seeds are good too. Bread is good, even old bread as long as it's not moldy. Provide them water too.
I guess you weren't here a week or two ago when I commented that I never saw a squirrel, but food was disappearing from my squirrel feeder. Eventually I discovered that he was showing up early and late in the day, but disappearing as soon as I opened the door, so the only way I could take a picture was from behind glass, despite the reduction in IQ resulting from the glass, and birds were occasionally eating there in-between. The last few days, he doesn't seem to show up even then. Maybe he'll resume the original schedule.
04-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #462
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I guess you weren't here a week or two ago when I commented that I never saw a squirrel, but food was disappearing from my squirrel feeder. Eventually I discovered that he was showing up early and late in the day, but disappearing as soon as I opened the door, so the only way I could take a picture was from behind glass, despite the reduction in IQ resulting from the glass, and birds were occasionally eating there in-between. The last few days, he doesn't seem to show up even then. Maybe he'll resume the original schedule.
Yes, I was here but I keep saying what you need to do in order that you might provide more sustenance to them. Water is a big thing, if they eat they'll need water too. Mine come around in the mornings, and around noon and in the evenings. If you know when they come, sit outside, don't wear bright colors and don't smoke or wear cologne, even loud smelling deodorant will scare them away.
04-30-2016, 11:11 AM   #463
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My day today.

04-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #464
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Another I got today and used as my SIC. I walked outside and the squirrels run up the tree. I went over to my usual spot, a wishing well my nephew big idea to sell them, still sitting in the backyard. Anyway, there is a palm tree right beside this wishing well so the squirrel runs up this tree. I turn and look up, and start calling him, squirrel style. Chattering at him and he starts coming down the tree. I guess I didn't tell you Rupert, I speak squirrel.

04-30-2016, 02:42 PM   #465
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice one Photolady, the gravity defying squirrel. One from a few days ago.
You didn't really want to watch cable tonight did you?