Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #481
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's cute. Maybe once they get used to you putting out the peanuts they will hang around a little bit longer.

05-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #482
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, they're used to me Tina, I've been feeding them for 8 years. Those shots were taken with me standing within 6 to 10 feet from them. Since peanuts are a bit larger I guess they feel they need to be in a tree to eat them, to keep others from stealing them.
05-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #483
Veteran Member

lol. Maybe they will just get used to the peanuts. Then when it's not a "new" treat they won't worry about thieves?
05-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #484
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
Maybe they will just get used to the peanuts. Then when it's not a "new" treat they won't worry about thieves?
Yeah, that is probably it. The peanuts are a new treat.

Btw, I added you to my follow list in flickr as a friend.

05-02-2016, 02:14 PM   #485
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Yeah, that is probably it. The peanuts are a new treat.

Btw, I added you to my follow list in flickr as a friend.
Great! Thank you. I'll go add you now as a friend now.
05-02-2016, 10:03 PM   #486
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nap time? Is it nap time?

05-03-2016, 02:29 AM   #487
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
That is a really nice shot of the little critter! They are so cute too!

I second that opinion!

Regards!

Thank you! Shot through a window, so it has a reflection of the window sill along his back. I wanted a cleaner shot, but he saw a bit of movement, and was gone

05-03-2016, 06:44 AM - 2 Likes   #488
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
I never thought that such a thread could exist! Only on PF!
Welcome Carl.....yep, a dedicated Squirrel Thread...isn't it wonderful! Come again and come often, we love squirrels shot here, yours was a winner!

Thing is, my trees here are over 50 feet tall, more like 100ft.
Photolady, squirrels consider roasted peanuts a supreme treat and run with them to keep other squirrels from getting them. They usually head for the trees, so you have to position the peanuts where you can get a shot as they grab one....or two....or three..

Proud new peanut owner!

Take all you can carry!

---------- Post added 05-03-16 at 08:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
Nap time? Is it nap time?
At least your squirrel found an appropriate spot for a nappy!

Hi Tina! Welcome to the Squirrel World!

Regards!
05-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #489
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's one of the Michigan chipmunks who are are little buddies of Otis.

05-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #490
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
Here's one of the Michigan chipmunks who are are little buddies of Otis.
They are such cuties! Otis admires their ability to squeeze into tight bird-feeder openings and pull out the bounty for all the Otis Army to share. They are treated as Royalty! ....and bravery too, some get in and can't get out. That's when Otis sends in the trained Fox Squirrels with their "Jaws of Life" to set them free!

Here is a Newbie I just shot...tiny little guy, but still larger than a Chippy.

Regards!
05-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #491
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Cute shot Tina.

Rupert, I put peanuts out, squirrels came down, grabbed a peanut and ran up a tall tree. No photos of them. I think I'll stick with feeding them sunflower seeds, bread and cheese. Thing is, my trees here are over 50 feet tall, more like 100ft. No low branches either. At least when they eat the sunflower seeds and bread, they stick close to the ground or on the ground.
The situation I was trying to describe earlier is similar in effect although completely different in detail. We live on the south border of the local bypass, which is on a ridge just north of us, so we have about ten feet of grass beyond our deck, and then the upward slope to the bypass begins. My parents, the first occupants of this house, planted lots of ground-cover to keep the ridge from invading their lawn. Your profile doesn't specify a geographic location, so I don't know what your climate is like; I live in an area where you have to work to keep plants from growing, so the ground-cover my parents started is now a very short jungle - animals run a few feet and then they disappear in the plant-life. {see the picture I posted in #397 on pg 27}. That is why I have a hard time taking pictures apart from using the house as a blind {in which case sharpness is severely dulled by the glass} - even when I try from the front yard, the squirrels typically see me and are in the plant-life before I can get the shutter pressed. The birds are somewhat more cooperative {perhaps they know I can't fly after them}; once I've been sitting on the deck for a few minutes, I become part of the scenery to them, but the mammals never seem to reach that point.
05-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #492
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I become part of the scenery to them, but the mammals never seem to reach that point.
I understand your situation. Here I keep part of the Woods of Otis cleared except for the trees....lots of trees.

Looking back to my house from the cleared section.

Looking past the cleared section into the deep underbrush.....where I never go. It's home to a lot of critters, including the dreaded "Devil Squirrel".

Otis claims this leads to the "Underworld" where the Devil Squirrel devours the souls of his victims.......I do sometimes hear horrifying sounds from there on moonless nights.

So back to your dilemma. I suggest you make yourself more visible with a bag of roasted peanuts to he point they associate you with where they came from. Squirrels are smart, they will figure it out. Learn a little of their language if you can. I speak fluent Squirrel, but it took years to learn it.

No problem with this little newbie girly squirrel......she trusted me from day one. Remember...I speak fluent Squirrel.....

Today was her very first taste of an apple, and she gorged on several nice slices......thanked me repeatedly too!

I notice she is already a little overweight......they get like that here in a hurry!

Best Regards!
05-03-2016, 07:42 PM   #493
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never seen any of my squirrels gorge themselves the way your squirrels do. Even with the small sunflower seeds, they'll come eat and sit in the yard eating them.
05-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #494
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've never seen any of my squirrels gorge themselves the way your squirrels do. Even with the small sunflower seeds, they'll come eat and sit in the yard eating them.
Do you have any squirrel feeders? I have two. My routine is to fill them every morning and once again in the late afternoon. There is also feed for the birds on the top rail of the cedar fence...about 55 feet long.

There is always a squirrel on (or in) each feeder throughout the day. They take turns, sometimes by agreement, sometimes by force. If I look out and there are no squirrels, it means a cat or hawk is in the area and I go out and check on the situation.

On or in the feeder....

They do love the feeders...and why not!

Regards!
05-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #495
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I feed on the ground. That's where they came to in the first place so they're used to finding the food there. Same with the peanuts, bread and cheese. I went out this morning to throw them some peanuts, when I walked up too close they ran but the minute I started throwing the peanuts out, they slowly came in to get some. I talk them in.

I bought a new/used lens tonight hopefully I won't have to get so close to them but it really doesn't matter if I do. I got a Vivitar AF 100-400mm for less than $125. It was listed at $139.99 and I got a discount so it was less than that, plus free shipping.